The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

18 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Absolutely fair, if we had a more competent manager I'd be v bullish about our chances, however, are there not big question marks over Kerr as a manager also though? Wikipedia says (And of course it's never wrong) That Kerr won 7 out of his first 21 games? Losing 9 and drawing 5. That's not great when you consider he took over one of the strongest sides in the division. 

He's actually got a worse win percentage than Crawford at his time at EEP, and Crawford took over a v poor side. 

Aye, the jury is still very much out on Mark Kerr. Given his short time in the job and the way the season ended im willing to discount everything that happend last season however I will say our January business wasn’t great although January is always a difficult month to get quality players in.

He will quite rightly be judged on his performance this season. He has so far brought in 2 (on paper at least) decent signings with another 5 expected to follow before the season kicks offs. I still expect us to finish top 4 and would regard anything other than promotion as a failure. 

7 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Aye, the jury is still very much out on Mark Kerr. Given his short time in the job and the way the season ended im willing to discount everything that happend last season however I will say our January business wasn’t great although January is always a difficult month to get quality players in.

He will quite rightly be judged on his performance this season. He has so far brought in 2 (on paper at least) decent signings with another 5 expected to follow before the season kicks offs. I still expect us to finish top 4 and would regard anything other than promotion as a failure. 

I really hope you meant to put “play-offs” there after promotion.

No? What’s the point in making the playoffs and not going up other than a bit extra money. 

Promotion is obviously the aim but I don’t think finishing 3rd or 4th and not going up is a failure.

50 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Absolutely fair, if we had a more competent manager I'd be v bullish about our chances, however, are there not big question marks over Kerr as a manager also though? Wikipedia says (And of course it's never wrong) That Kerr won 7 out of his first 21 games? Losing 9 and drawing 5. That's not great when you consider he took over one of the strongest sides in the division. 

He's actually got a worse win percentage than Crawford at his time at EEP, and Crawford took over a v poor side. 

When Kerr took over, he followed McCalls formula and it worked for a short while but when it didn't it took him a couple of weeks to fix it and change the team to compete again. The changes coincided with McCowans form dipping. We struggled until Drinan arrived. 

He also had a team that doesn't have Shankland, Crawford, Rose or Murdoch but did have Doolan, regardless of it being Kerr, McCall or anyone else we would have roughly the same results I would guess.

So you are right, the jury is still out on Kerr, some of the games in the early part of his time were dreadful but the changes he made and the players he brought in were different, it looked like he was adapting tactics to compete rather than playing the same way every week hoping we won more than we lost or playing players out of position to keep the formation the same. 

14 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

No? What’s the point in making the playoffs and not going up other than a bit extra money. 

Nothing wrong with aiming for promotion but it’s ridiculous to say not doing so would be a failure.

22 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Hopefully not the sign of things to come for either of them. Definitely not what they need at this stage of their career. 

Mmm, certainly Ross Doohan isnt gaining anything by sitting on County's bench. He may as well have stayed with Celtic to do that. I assume he is expected to play sooner or later though.

Kelly is two years younger. He will benefit as much sitting on County's bench and getting 20 mins here and there in the top League as he would playing down here. He has done that already. As long as he isnt welded to the bench and gets on reasonably often he will be fine.

13 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Mmm, certainly Ross Doohan isnt gaining anything by sitting on County's bench. He may as well have stayed with Celtic to do that. I assume he is expected to play sooner or later though.

Kelly is two years younger. He will benefit as much sitting on County's bench and getting 20 mins here and there in the top League as he would playing down here. He has done that already. As long as he isnt welded to the bench and gets on reasonably often he will be fine.

I don’t think you benefit as much playing twenty minutes here and there compared to regular games one league below tbh. Possibly if there was a couple of leagues of a difference. 

With cup games against top flight teams and you’re gaining that experience too. 

Not withstanding that I think Kelly is good enough to be starting every Week for a side like County anyway. 

Edited by No_Problemo

Based on what I’ve seen tonight I don’t think either player will be building on there experiences at Ross County, and as I’ve said based on the cash  it was a no brainer forHarvey , he will be the same unless he’s gonna displacethe c.ub captain there

Someone on SRE seems to think we’re signing Conor Hazard. Given the fact that Celtic only have three senior keepers (Barkas, Bain and Hazard) I cant see it. Also you’d think if he was being loaned out a return to Dundee would be on the cards. 

Someone on SRE seems to think we’re signing Conor Hazard. Given the fact that Celtic only have three senior keepers (Barkas, Bain and Hazard) I cant see it. Also you’d think if he was being loaned out a return to Dundee would be on the cards. 

He also said Barjonas is a done deal despite Kerr literally saying days ago he hadn’t made a move for him yet.

I’d probably take Hazard though. He wasn’t great but wasn’t terrible with Dundee last season.

Just a thought.

Is this 9 players bench rule for the premiership not going to make it more difficult for championship teams to get kids on loan. 

Fine example tonight with Doohan and Kelly, two kids filling those two extra places at another prem club. Kelly will get his chance but always thought Doohan going up there was strange with Ross Laidlaw a solid No1 IMO