The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 hours ago, North British said:

A roof on the North Terrace would be a must if one day all our stars were to align and the promised land of the Premiership was reached . It would be a tough call asking people to buy seasons for an area where they’d get drenched in the winter . However I’m sure the board have more plans than we know about at the moment . 

Seems a bit pointless does it not, no rule requiring this? 

Does anyone who actually goes out and regularly enjoys the North Terrace actually want to be under a roof? I read a lot of people say stuff like this but they seem to sit in the stand or stay behind the goals all game mostly. 

Short of Complete to partial relocation or moving the pitch (who owns the railway yard?) redevelopment of the North terrace Certainly looks the best option, could the railway end be enlarged and redeveloped into a 1.5 - 2.0k seater stand? If the pitch could be moved 50 yards west you could have cantilever stands to the West, north and East And a low rise stand structure to the south to allow sunlight to the playing surface.

Somerset is a bit antiquated and hamstrings the club financially but it has bags of character, I’d hate to see it go. 

Even without moving, building new stands Railway end 2k, North 3k and sticking up metal structures (like ICT) even 2 low level stands replacing the main and SRE could over time afford a modern 8,000 seat stadium.

edited to add, I’m sure I read somewhere that when Hibs build one of their stands the cost worked out at £500/seat.

Edited by Scottydog

Short of Complete to partial relocation or moving the pitch (who owns the railway yard?) redevelopment of the North terrace Certainly looks the best option, could the railway end be enlarged and redeveloped into a 1.5 - 2.0k seater stand? If the pitch could be moved 50 yards west you could have cantilever stands to the West, north and East And a low rise stand structure to the south to allow sunlight to the playing surface.
Somerset is a bit antiquated and hamstrings the club financially but it has bags of character, I’d hate to see it go. 
Even without moving, building new stands Railway end 2k, North 3k and sticking up metal structures (like ICT) even 2 low level stands replacing the main and SRE could over time afford a modern 8,000 seat stadium.
edited to add, I’m sure I read somewhere that when Hibs build one of their stands the cost worked out at £500/seat.

Barr spoke about the hurdles of redeveloping Somerset, no access to the back of the north terrace to allow entry, the north terrace is curved at the away end. Not owning the land behind the railway end, access required on Tryfield place to the railway yard etc
Basically if we wanted a soulless breeze block stadium, we would need to move.

The Railway yard is now shut but we don’t own the land, or the units behind the hospitality.

3 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Barr spoke about the hurdles of redeveloping Somerset, no access to the back of the north terrace to allow entry, the north terrace is curved at the away end. Not owning the land behind the railway end, access required on Tryfield place to the railway yard etc
Basically if we wanted a soulless breeze block stadium, we would need to move.

The Railway yard is now shut but we don’t own the land, or the units behind the hospitality.

I'm guessing when Bill Barr was saying that the railway yard was still in constant use? Also short of being gifted free land to build a new stadium virtually every club has to acquire land by purchase. 

if that land in the railway yard is NOW out of use and undeveloped and I was your chairman I'd be looking to develop it for both personal profit while at the same time massively benefitting AUFC. Unless that is someone else has first dibs on it, I'd say it was a golden opportunity. Most clubs are forced to move (look at Starks Park hemmed in between the main railway line and a road) as they simply don't have space to redevelop into.  Also it be a vastly different Somerset to the one we know but with modern facilities it could still hopefully retain its character to some extent.

3 hours ago, Iain said:

I wondered whether they might look to install those  'safe standing' fixtures on the North Terracing. Considered as seating for any relevant conversation, but don't force us to sit.

Why would you do that? That would be a colossal waste of money. Should you ever gain promotion to the Premiership you don't need it. 

48 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

There's absolutely nothing 'modern' about all seater stands. They're increasingly becoming anachronistic.

I would absolutely hate to see Somerset become just another shite all seater stadium.

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Why would you do that? That would be a colossal waste of money. Should you ever gain promotion to the Premiership you don't need it. 

There's absolutely nothing 'modern' about all seater stands. They're increasingly becoming anachronistic.

I would absolutely hate to see Somerset become just another shite all seater stadium.

Even more reason to redevelop into something unique rather than move away to yet another generic lego set stadium.

Ok so Ayr may not need to do anything just now but it depends on their level of ambition and what they want, moreover this could be the opportune time to make a start, no reason not to make an acquisition that could prove beneficial in the future, unless you are Morton and but a stand from Love St only to have it in storage until you perhaps decide to sell it for scrap.
As for modern about new stadiums, I'm not a huge fan either but I do like to watch my football under a roof when it's chucking it down and some Championship stadia have some truly awful OLD stands for away fans (Morton, Dundee and our own to name but 3).

2 hours ago, Robbo63 said:
2 hours ago, North British said:

The point of hospitality is to have a meal and sit and watch the game in comfort in your viewing box , this is a big money earner so who  in their right mind would just bin it , 

If the boxes bring in a good bit of revenue then fair play . However as the Hub is about to show (it’ll be rammed) the club are just scratching the surface off the potential involved in the Saturday football pound . What ever our 1500 regulars spend on a Saturday on their football day out in and around town ,then I’d want as much of that pulled into the club as possible ,. Whither that is bigger building on or behind the north bank or a bottle (plastic) bar in the gym for away fans or something like what the Pars have in the main stand at East End . I fully understand space and costs are prohibitive but these are the areas that need exploring . 

On the North Terrace : cover is a must moving forward , it doesn’t have to be all singing all dancing , just run from 18 yard line to 18 yard line , so there would be options at each end for the sunbathers and sea gull shite lovers to have their cake . For the record I’m a north bank supporter who sometimes retreats into the SRE in the depths of winter .

Anyway I put my faith in the current board and the fans who have done so much this summer to bring money into the club . We are in a vastly different place to five or six years ago when McCall came in . Let’s keep it going .

38 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

The railway yard and the car park are going to be houses, planning application for in some time ago, was owned by Kirkwood one of our silent directors  who does he haw for the club and his has been sold of for housing.

That's a bugger!

You say the Car Park? Tryfield Pl?

I took it the plans would be for access roads from the Somerset Road.  Even if they gave Ayr another 20 yards in the North and the triangle in the NW corner then Ayr could redevelop it nicely but if they are taking the stand car park too it's a no go.

Edited to add, I see now I just looked at the Daily Record on line article for 200+ house for Allanvale Developments,

Great opportunity missed!

Ayr Utd 0-1 Money grabbing opportunitsc greedy Twat.

A true fan/Gentleman would still have made his money but massively benefitted his club at the same time. 

Edited by Scottydog

13 minutes ago, Scottydog said:

Even more reason to redevelop into something unique rather than move away to yet another generic lego set stadium.

Ok so Ayr may not need to do anything just now but it depends on their level of ambition and what they want, moreover this could be the opportune time to make a start, no reason not to make an acquisition that could prove beneficial in the future, unless you are Morton and but a stand from Love St only to have it in storage until you perhaps decide to sell it for scrap.
As for modern about new stadiums, I'm not a huge fan either but I do like to watch my football under a roof when it's chucking it down and some Championship stadia have some truly awful OLD stands for away fans (Morton, Dundee and our own to name but 3).

It could certainly do with a bit of a spruce up and a roof on the exposed terrace (should there be demand for it), but as it stands the ground is fine should they get promotion.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I love Somerset as it is. I may be biased but, when there's a big crowd in for a big game and the stadium is absolutely rocking, I'm not convinced that there's any better place to watch a football match.

That would be lost in an all seater stadium.

8 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I love Somerset as it is. I may be biased but, when there's a big crowd in for a big game and the stadium is absolutely rocking, I'm not convinced that there's any better place to watch a football match.

That would be lost in an all seater stadium.

A wee tidy up would be fine but making it all seater would be absolutely dreadful. 

All seater grounds are pish but are even worse the lower down the leagues you go. Big, empty stadiums with folk dotted around a terrible atmosphere.

I don’t want it all seater but we do need to accept that it needs a huge makeover at some point.

If you want a seat then your only option is the cramped main stand with pillars everywhere. The terracing is uneven, shallow and crumbling at parts. The outside of it as you’re driving down Somerset Road looks like something from Eastern Europe in the 70s.

None of that really matters much to me or most of us on here (except how shallow it can be perhaps) but you’re kidding yourself on if you think it doesn’t put off locals who don’t fall into the demographic of hardcore football fans.

Oh yeah, and the toilets, and the manky burger vans too.

Edited by eez-eh

Just now, Richey Edwards said:

Yeah, can't exactly wash your hands properly with freezing cold water. I'm surprised that's never been rectified.

Maybe some soap as well.

One good thing about the coronavirus is thay clubs won't be able to get away with not providing adequate facilities (e.g. hot running water and soap). I often took a bottle of hand gel to certain away games as I knew it would be needed.

Edited by DA Baracus

50 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Maybe some soap as well.

One good thing about the coronavirus is thay clubs won't be able to get away with not providing adequate facilities (e.g. hot running water and soap). I often took a bottle of hand gel to certain away games as I knew it would be needed.

Kilmarnock?

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Will need it for Europe. Also, I'd imagine it would involve new concrete and be designed to be maintained more easily.