The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Can see both sides of the argument but at the end of the day if we wish to be competitive and sustainable against other teams in the league prices need to go up a bit.

At the end of the day we've historically been one of the cheapest which has resulted in lower budgets and a poorer maintained stadium in the past. However times now seem to be changing for the better with Dave Smith on board and ground improvements etc....

And if improvements are going to follow further then I'm all for paying that wee bit extra.

8 hours ago, OnlyAyrfaninTarbolton said:

SIMPLE... I would rather pay a few extra quid and see my team stay up and compete in a tough league...  Than have few extra quid in my pocket and be miserable and crabbit every Saturday night because we get beat week in week out.... And end up in shitty pub league that is League One... 

You do realise that paying more money and having a bigger budget doesn't guarantee success on the pitch? It certainly helps but doesn't mean we won't be shit at times. 

At least you are realistic with expectations it is a tough league and top 4 again would be great. Those talking about promotion, we won't have a big enough squad for winning the league and getting up via the playoffs is pretty tough.

Personally, I think a 25% increase in 3 years is pretty abhorrent. Even more so given the current situation many face. 

For me, its not about affordability but for others it will be. I shop around for everything in order to pay the lowest price. I could pay more but why would I? The football is one thing I can't shop around for. Frankly, I think £20 is starting to take the p1sh for whats on offer.

Finally, before I start hearing lectures about supporting the club etc. When the club shows ambition so do I. When we resigned Shankland I joined the AU500 club and lottery and have been in both ever since. I didn't claim any refund for my season ticket last season. I bought a virtual player of the year ticket. I expected some acknowledgement and reciprocation from the club. There was acknowledgement but no reciprocation. I'll go pay on the day but I do find it very poor from the club. The communication that accompanied it even more so. What does this increase mean for the club? More players? Better stadium? Survival due to covid-19. I don't think its unreasonable to expect that question to be answered.

Edited by Trogdor

10 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

You do realise that paying more money and having a bigger budget doesn't guarantee success on the pitch? It certainly helps but doesn't mean we won't be shit at times. 

At least you are realistic with expectations it is a tough league and top 4 again would be great. Those talking about promotion, we won't have a big enough squad for winning the league and getting up via the playoffs is pretty tough.

Personally, I think a 25% increase in 3 years is pretty abhorrent. Even more so given the current situation many face. 

For me, its not about affordability but for others it will be. I shop around for everything in order to pay the lowest price. I could pay more but why would I? The football is one thing I can't shop around for. Frankly, I think £20 is starting to take the p1sh for whats on offer.

Finally, before I start hearing lectures about supporting the club etc. When the club shows ambition so do I. When we resigned Shankland I joined the AU500 club and lottery and have been in both ever since. I didn't claim any refund for my season ticket last season. I expected some acknowledgement and reciprocation from the club. There was acknowledgement but no reciprocation. I'll go pay on the day but I do find it very poor from the club. The communication that accompanied it even more so. What does this increase mean for the club? More players? Better stadium? Survival due to covid-19. I don't think its unreasonable to expect that question to be answered.

It’s easy to make things sound worse than they really are when using percentages. The increase in real Cash terms is minimal.

What kind of reciprocation would you like? Perhaps Lauchlan could fly over and give you a pat on the back?

Absolute nonsense to say the club haven’t communicated the reason for the rise.  It’s in Lachlan’s statement And common sense tells you that they’ve taken a hit financially during COVID along with every other club in the country. 

Wind your neck in.

17 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

More players? Better stadium? Survival due to covid-19. I don't think its unreasonable to expect that question to be answered.

Signings underway, stadium currently being improved for players , work about to start to improve fans match day experience, and Covid 19 survival have been mentioned in local press and on social media over last 3 weeks , don’t understand why you have made the above quote 

7 minutes ago, Hazbart said:

It’s easy to make things sound worse than they really are when using percentages. The increase in real Cash terms is minimal.

What kind of reciprocation would you like? Perhaps Lauchlan could fly over and give you a pat on the back?

Absolute nonsense to say the club haven’t communicated the reason for the rise.  It’s in Lachlan’s statement And common sense tells you that they’ve taken a hit financially during COVID along with every other club in the country. 

Wind your neck in.

Its nice to see you twisting my point. 😄

In 2017/18 it was £16 to get in; in 2020/21 is £20 to get in. A 25% rise in 3 years. That's a fact whether its minimal or not is entirely subjective.

If its for covid-19 it would be a one-off rise and revert back. In the short term its for covid-19 but whats it for thereafter?

Edited by Trogdor

3 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Signings underway, stadium currently being improved for players , work about to start to improve fans match day experience, and Covid 19 survival have been mentioned in local press and on social media over last 3 weeks , don’t understand why you have made the above quote 

Okay, to clarify:

Is the playing budget increasing? I thought the stadium work was being covered by David Smith? As mentioned, covid-19 leads to a financial hit this season but not thereafter. As such, the increase helps to alleviate covid-19 short term what is it for long term? As this is a permanent rise it must be going somewhere. Surely you get that? 

23 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Okay, to clarify:

Is the playing budget increasing? I thought the stadium work was being covered by David Smith? As mentioned, covid-19 leads to a financial hit this season but not thereafter. As such, the increase helps to alleviate covid-19 short term what is it for long term? As this is a permanent rise it must be going somewhere. Surely you get that? 

I will let the board decide what they do with my money , I trust it will not be squandered, at £20 we are still one of the cheapest teams to support , i put it down to we have under charged over the last few seasons as in those times we have always been in the cheapest 3 grounds to enter , £4 increase over 4 seasons and a team that has improved over that same period , and yes I get it , the directors have pumped money in year after year for us to survive , don’t you think during this pandemic that their business might also be struggling and they can’t afford to keep pumping in the levels required , so just to bring us up to the same level of entry price as most other teams in the league will help financially, that’s my take in it , but everyone entitled to their opinion 

Edited by Robbo63

18 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

If its for covid-19 it would be a one-off rise and revert back. In the short term its for covid-19 but whats it for thereafter?

Let’s worry about that next year. Who knows that might happen.

Its probably unlikely to go back given the 2 year deals we’ve been handing out.

Either pay it or don’t, that’s a decision everyone needs to take for themselves but the club are entitled to charge whatever they want and certainly don’t need to give anyone an explanation.

The change in pricing is running slightly higher than inflation but we have also had a loss of income from last season! We have also been performing at a higher level than what was expected! This could mean the increase in the budget that gives us a better chance to compete for the title and better chance of going up through the playoffs! 

The pricing is quite a complex issue so I can see why some fans will be asking questions. The balance between the club generating enough cash to survive v’s ensuring fans can still afford to come is a difficult one. Still many unanswered questions around fans being able to enter stadiums, fans wanting to return or feeling safe enough and whether another wave will damage the season. If there is so much uncertainty around cash flow plus being able to survive then why choose now for a building project that appeared from leftfield?  

40 minutes ago, Hazbart said:

Let’s worry about that next year. Who knows that might happen.

Its probably unlikely to go back given the 2 year deals we’ve been handing out.

Either pay it or don’t, that’s a decision everyone needs to take for themselves but the club are entitled to charge whatever they want and certainly don’t need to give anyone an explanation.

This attitude is fine for people like us on this forum as chances are we’re likely to go regardless, however not for the casual fan or those not quite as committed to backing the team. 

Edited by No_Problemo

3 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

The pricing is quite a complex issue so I can see why some fans will be asking questions. The balance between the club generating enough cash to survive v’s ensuring fans can still afford to come is a difficult one. Still many unanswered questions around fans being able to enter stadiums, fans wanting to return or feeling safe enough and whether another wave will damage the season. If there is so much uncertainty around cash flow plus being able to survive then why choose now for a building project that appeared from leftfield?  

New building project is being provided by vice chairman , no funds being taken from budget and it is being built to drive income for future seasons 

11 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

The change in pricing is running slightly higher than inflation but we have also had a loss of income from last season! We have also been performing at a higher level than what was expected! This could mean the increase in the budget that gives us a better chance to compete for the title and better chance of going up through the playoffs! 

Thats not even remotely true.

Since July 2017 to July 2020 inflation has not been anywhere near 25%. Also, from July 2019 to July 2020 it has not been 11%.

30 minutes ago, Hazbart said:

I'm amazed at the last bit there.

Even Apple who have an avid following of consumers who purchase the latest one are at pains to explain pricing and increase. I would say the nature of a football club with the goodwill on both parties that explaining increases transparently and coherently is even more important.

As you say, its my call and I won't pay it. I also don't expect to be attacked for it, I've given my reasons and I stand by them.

ETA - I will be paying on the day or whatever you call it now!

Edited by Trogdor

4 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I'm amazed at the last bit there.

Even Apple who have an avid following of consumers who purchase the latest one are at pains to explain pricing and increase. I would say the nature of a football club with the goodwill on both parties that explaining increases transparently and coherently is even more important.

As you say, its my call and I won't pay it. I also don't expect to be attacked for it, I've given my reasons and I stand by them.

ETA - I will be paying on the day or whatever you call it now!

Good to see you will still be attending , it’s been a good discussion, good to see other peoples views , that’s why I kept it going , think we have our conclusion now 👍

17 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

This attitude is fine for people like us on this forum as chances are we’re likely to go regardless, however for the casual fan or those not quite as committed to backing the team. 

I’d be amazed if a casual fan is put off attending the odd game because it costs £2 more than last year.

At £18 most probably counted that as £20 anyway.