The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

9 hours ago, RedEd said:

Did he not save a penalty on his debut at Cappielow? It was all downhill after that.  A very steep descent.

He saved a penalty from Alex Williams on his debut at Cappielow then saved a penalty at home to Alloa in the next game. 

8 hours ago, WATTOO said:

Slightly off topic, but who was the ned winger / striker we signed from the juniors back in the early 90's i think. his name was Tom something and I remember him appearing at Broomfield with the bleached blonde hair and white boots and he was absolutely horrific, however he scythed someone down, got a yellow card and then took the applause from the Ayr fans for said bad challenge, always sticks in my mind that along with the terrible twins at the back, Prenderville and Rodgers who were always on "psycho mode".

About a decade after your man, but my mind immediately flashed to Paul Weaver. 

Slightly off topic, but who was the ned winger / striker we signed from the juniors back in the early 90's i think. his name was Tom something and I remember him appearing at Broomfield with the bleached blonde hair and white boots and he was absolutely horrific, however he scythed someone down, got a yellow card and then took the applause from the Ayr fans for said bad challenge, always sticks in my mind that along with the terrible twins at the back, Prenderville and Rodgers who were always on "psycho mode".

Barry prenderville and Dave Rodgers.

Prenderville came from down south and I can’t really remember much about how he played but Rodgers was in the Dundee team for years I’m sure. Think he was supposed to have a decent free kick on him.

Rodgers I remember being garbage.

14 hours ago, Jazzar said:

If we get loan signings of the quality of Kelly (especially), Doohan and Drinan (as 3 good examples) then I'll start to believe we have another good chance of finishing high up this league. I know that's a big ask but so is replacing Kelly, Forrest, Docherty, Harvie and Doohan - I'm certain Kerr is very aware of that.

I take comfort from the fact we did alright after losing Shankland, Crawford, McDaid and Rose from the team that won the league and did well in the Championship the following season. There's not many clubs at our level/budget who would survive that kind of disruption. 

I tend to agree with you  . Against all odds we have replaced Forrest and Harvie with out really down grading the left side of the team at all .  So if we can match that replacing the three you’ve mentioned we should be in decent order . Who knows we may even strengthen the back by bringing in a centre half , that would be the icing on the cake . Let’s see what next week brings .

54 minutes ago, Tommi_Pavlova said:

Barry prenderville and Dave Rodgers.

Prenderville came from down south and I can’t really remember much about how he played but Rodgers was in the Dundee team for years I’m sure. Think he was supposed to have a decent free kick on him.

Rodgers I remember being garbage.

Prenderville was Irish but his previous club was Coventry. We signed him after he had a loan spell at Hibs. He didn't play many games for us, the only thing I can remember  about him was being sent off at Love Street for a push. Rogers had a couple of seasons at Dens before signing, although seemingly he had trained with us before signing for Dundee. It's fair to say as a player he was a bit of a journeyman.

13 hours ago, Caledonian said:

He saved a penalty from Alex Williams on his debut at Cappielow then saved a penalty at home to Alloa in the next game. 

The years that have passed have maybe made it worse in my memory, but I'm fairly sure Williams sclaffed that penalty so badly that Cherrie had time to save it despite beginning to dive the wrong way, as it was practically trickling towards the goal.

IMG_8975.thumb.jpg.7fc2f88e45c9ede851c496267787a979.jpg

I’ve managed to raise over £100 so far for the AU500 fund with sales of the print of Somerset Park.

I’ve got a 25% OFF code for today only, as a wee sweetener for taking part in the Handmade In Ayr virtual market.

Code: 25OFF

If you or anyone you know would like a print of the Somerset Park artwork, it’s still £5 from each sale to the AU500 fund even with the 25% off, so you can save a few bob while still contributing.

You can get your hands on it here:

http://www.stevenmcclureart.com

It’s under the prints section

Or here http://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/stevenmcclureart

Cheers

I tend to agree with you  . Against all odds we have replaced Forrest and Harvie with out really down grading the left side of the team at all .  So if we can match that replacing the three you’ve mentioned we should be in decent order . Who knows we may even strengthen the back by bringing in a centre half , that would be the icing on the cake . Let’s see what next week brings .

Although on paper I’m happy with our signings it’s much too soon to declare that the left side is not any weaker. Harvie and Forest were arguably our 2 best players last season. Just because we’ve signed a young kid with promise and a decent winger (who was shocking for Thistle last season) I wouldn’t be predicting that everything is fine at this stage.

Notice Kieran Wright is now following us on twitter.

He must be about 5th choice at Rangers. A loan with a chance to make it permanent in January (similar to Houston) could be decent business. 

Don't know much about him apart from the Alloa game where he made a mistake for our first goal but he had no chance with the Forrest goal. Didn't test him much apart from that.  

5 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

He must be about 5th choice at Rangers. A loan with a chance to make it permanent in January (similar to Houston) could be decent business. 

Don't know much about him apart from the Alloa game where he made a mistake for our first goal but he had no chance with the Forrest goal. Didn't test him much apart from that.  

Good sport sir. I’ll go and do some investigating. 

2 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Although on paper I’m happy with our signings it’s much too soon to declare that the left side is not any weaker. Harvie and Forest were arguably our 2 best players last season. Just because we’ve signed a young kid with promise and a decent winger (who was shocking for Thistle last season) I wouldn’t be predicting that everything is fine at this stage.

Harvie and Reading were U21 internationals at the same time, Zannatta and Forrest both achieved that level in the past , all be it for different countries. I hopefully we have mitigated the loss of our two best players .

5 hours ago, conley said:

Tom Woods????

The description of beach blonde hair made me think of Paul Weaver! Tom Woods was a bit before my time, I had to google him 😂

1 hour ago, GaryMc93 said:

I had a feeling we’d get an OF youngster as a GK. I’d be happy enough with Wright but iirc he wasn’t particularly tall 

Edited by Thereisalight..

As I said before so long as he doesn’t constantly chuck the ball into his own net and isn’t glued to his goal line I’ll be happy.

Might just be following us because a couple of his pals played for us last season but if he does sign it could end up being another Houston deal where we end up making it permanent. Providing he does ok of course.