The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just now, eez-eh said:

Did Ruddy take the huff at being dropped? If I remember he was never seen again after that Airdrie game.

Aye he returned to Wolves with an ‘Injury’. Hare-Reid was on the bench for the last few games. 

34 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Did Ruddy take the huff at being dropped? If I remember he was never seen again after that Airdrie game.

Aye, big time.  Burnt aw his bridges and never got a league winners medal sent out. 

On 22/07/2020 at 21:50, AUFC 1910 said:

Comedy gold up at Arbroath

I'm claiming an assist for that game. He was rattled 

Slightly off topic, but who was the ned winger / striker we signed from the juniors back in the early 90's i think. his name was Tom something and I remember him appearing at Broomfield with the bleached blonde hair and white boots and he was absolutely horrific, however he scythed someone down, got a yellow card and then took the applause from the Ayr fans for said bad challenge, always sticks in my mind that along with the terrible twins at the back, Prenderville and Rodgers who were always on "psycho mode".

2 minutes ago, honestly united said:

Granted its well over 30 years ago but I dont remember Purdie being that bad, but am willing to be corrected. I remember he was no where near as good as Watson, but dont remember him being really awful

I do remember he wasn't great but thought he was miles ahead of the likes of Hart and Ruddy.

25 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Slightly off topic, but who was the ned winger / striker we signed from the juniors back in the early 90's i think. his name was Tom something and I remember him appearing at Broomfield with the bleached blonde hair and white boots and he was absolutely horrific, however he scythed someone down, got a yellow card and then took the applause from the Ayr fans for said bad challenge, always sticks in my mind that along with the terrible twins at the back, Prenderville and Rodgers who were always on "psycho mode".

Woods?

Speaking of goalie howlers, anyone remember David Castilla punching the ball directly to an opposition player who then volleyed it into top bag?

I want to say it was Chic Charnley, but I was quite young so might be misremembering

Anybody got any hunches on who the five inbound are ? What we looking at ? Three loans and two signings ? Kerr has already surprised most with his choice and quality of signings ! Is it more left field stuff or a few modest type signings  ?

57 minutes ago, honestly united said:

Granted its well over 30 years ago but I dont remember Purdie being that bad, but am willing to be corrected. I remember he was no where near as good as Watson, but dont remember him being really awful

He did sell a few dodgy goals in big games. Seem to remember he liked to come out for a punch instead of catching a cross that cost a few goals 

3 minutes ago, North British said:

Anybody got any hunches on who the five inbound are ? What we looking at ? Three loans and two signings ? Kerr has already surprised most with his choice and quality of signings ! Is it more left field stuff or a few modest type signings  ?

If we get loan signings of the quality of Kelly (especially), Doohan and Drinan (as 3 good examples) then I'll start to believe we have another good chance of finishing high up this league. I know that's a big ask but so is replacing Kelly, Forrest, Docherty, Harvie and Doohan - I'm certain Kerr is very aware of that.

I take comfort from the fact we did alright after losing Shankland, Crawford, McDaid and Rose from the team that won the league and did well in the Championship the following season. There's not many clubs at our level/budget who would survive that kind of disruption. 

2 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

He did sell a few dodgy goals in big games. Seem to remember he liked to come out for a punch instead of catching a cross that cost a few goals 

I think a lot of it is to do with Allan Moore scoring a hat-trick of headers against him for St Johnstone. That conveniently ignores the fact that all these 6 foot defenders couldn't win aerial challenges against a guy five or six inches smaller.

Speaking of goalie howlers, anyone remember David Castilla punching the ball directly to an opposition player who then volleyed it into top bag?
I want to say it was Chic Charnley, but I was quite young so might be misremembering

I never got the total love-in with Castilla. Although not horrendous I did find him rather erratic at times.

6 minutes ago, RedEd said:

I think a lot of it is to do with Allan Moore scoring a hat-trick of headers against him for St Johnstone. That conveniently ignores the fact that all these 6 foot defenders couldn't win aerial challenges against a guy five or six inches smaller.

That was a game I thought of and was he also playing in the Stirling Albion promotion decider? 

2 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

That was a game I thought of and was he also playing in the Stirling Albion promotion decider? 

He played in that game as well, then missed the entire 87-88 season through injury.. I think he was only 21 at the time of the Stirling game.

9 minutes ago, RedEd said:

He played in that game as well, then missed the entire 87-88 season through injury.. I think he was only 21 at the time of the Stirling game.

Fairly sure he caused a daft goal that day along with Furphy. Going 3-0 down and the way the game ended up wouldn’t get much forgiveness from the fans 

7 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Fairly sure he caused a daft goal that day along with Furphy. Going 3-0 down and the way the game ended up wouldn’t get much forgiveness from the fans 

Think of the positive things that came out of that game - the regular scudding of teams the following season .

42 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I never got the total love-in with Castilla. Although not horrendous I did find him rather erratic at times.

He was the GK when I was the mascot, he told me to slap Stevie Kerrigan on the back when he was putting deep heat on his shoulder :lol: