The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

To be honest I really don’t see any announcements on signings until the start of August. Training should begin around mid way through August so Kerr will want a healthy amount of players for then.

With the window closing on the 5th of October though it does mean Kerr won’t get a chance to see his players in a competitive fixture and then see what he needs to add. We’ll be stuck with what we have until January.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

To be honest I really don’t see any announcements on signings until the start of August. Training should begin around mid way through August so Kerr will want a healthy amount of players for then.

With the window closing on the 5th of October though it does mean Kerr won’t get a chance to see his players in a competitive fixture and then see what he needs to add. We’ll be stuck with what we have until January.

The window closing doesn't prevent signing free agents, as inevitably most players at our level will be at that stage. I believe there will also be an extended domestic loans window for non Premiership clubs for this one season though details are still to be confirmed. The window closing will only really prevent permanent transfers from another club and loans from outwith Scotland happening.

Crazy when you realise when we get started again that Kerr will have been in the job for over a year year.  

He will have had a long time to reflect on the things that went wrong last season as well as what he has got right so far and whether that is applicable with his new squad.

I don't rate his signings so far (except Drinan) but think January is a tough time to get players in and sometimes you are simply reduced to getting bodies of varying quality. 

5 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The window closing doesn't prevent signing free agents, as inevitably most players at our level will be at that stage. I believe there will also be an extended domestic loans window for non Premiership clubs for this one season though details are still to be confirmed. The window closing will only really prevent permanent transfers from another club and loans from outwith Scotland happening.

That's a market we seem pretty interested in. 

16 hours ago, Robbo63 said:

He was never in our price bracket , Burton will be paying just as much as most of our Premiership clubs , Disappearing fast ? There are more player’s available at this moment in time than there has been for many years , we are well on top of who we want and need , if you check back there has been over 40 players mentioned on here by fans saying we should sign so and so , Kerr knows who he wants and will sign who he needs which is never anywhere near who fans say should be signed   

Exactly this. Lawless turned us down, he said he probably has one big money making move left in his career and he wants to get as much as possible to set his family up a bit better post retirement. We pay about 45k a year, Burton Albion on average pay 95k a year. He's easily doubled his wages and then some. 

There was absolutely zero chance he was leaving to drop a division, he told us in November he wanted to go after rejecting a new deal. Funnily enough that was when we moved on Forrest, who is his replacement. 

12 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

It appears we’re giving financial aid to Dundee Utd, Cove and Raith.

Fcking disgraceful if true. Fans not accepting refunds on season tickets to help the club, and we’re dishing out money to two scummy teams? Appalling imo

Edited by Thereisalight..

Fcking disgraceful if true. Fans not accepting refunds on season tickets to help the club, and we’re dishing out money to two scummy teams? 

It’s Lachlan’s money. I doubt he’s spending it straight out of the player fund.

3 hours ago, HMIP said:

Completely agree.  We need a core of Andy Geggan types who know their way round the Championship.  Hard to judge Kerr on January signings though as quality and value for money are always difficult. Personally I don’t think Drinan, Malley, Gillespie or Tiffoney really added much.  A match fit Tiffoney might be decent, but wouldn’t rush to bring back the others.

Drinan was one if our best performers since he signed and added a whole new dimension to our play. Personally I thought the boy was outstanding and would take him back in a heartbeat.

23 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

It appears we’re giving financial aid to Dundee Utd, Cove and Raith.

Dundee United, Cove & Raith were dragged into that case by Hearts and Partick. I would have said Dundee United have deep enough pockets to be fair. However, no issue supporting Cove and Raith.

I now have very little time for Hearts and Partick through this. They have acted like spoilt brats and really used this crisis to paper over the car crash of managerial decisions and board room decisions during their abject seasons.

Their fans are lapping it up which I find remarkable. With both clubs meant to be getting handed to the fans. What happened to that? Low and Budge dont seem in any hurry to release the reigns. Funny that.

Aye, he confirmed this on the podcast. 

Mental that folk would think he’s told Mark Kerr to forget about his signings cos we’re giving it all to other clubs.

Guy can do whatever he likes with his money. If he wants to piss off Hearts and Partick fans, I’m all for it.

5 hours ago, North British said:

Let’s be clear on this , the news of the new bar etc is fantastic news ! Long long long over due . If the club use it properly (travel club busses leaving from it) (open for a while after games) then they may just be staggered at the revenue it brings in . Plenty of bars and clubs have been dinning out on Ayr United for quite some time . 

On the signings, our last manager had a nose for a player that’s for sure , that’s about 8 or so of his signings move on and up . Kerr on the other hand still has to show what he’s got . I think everyone is optimistic but at the same time nervous ! We most definitely want to retain play off status . It’s gonna be hard but that’s got to be the goal 

Who are the 8 McCall signings who have moved up? Shankland; Devlin; Rose; Harvie? I'm starting to struggle now. Are you including loans? 

Also, Kerr has had a January window. McCall's January windows were stinking bar one when he signed Kerr and Bell. January is always a hard window to get what you need.

The point is you cant really compare them as yet.

ETA - Was Devlin even a McCall signing? I had some awful flashback that Roberts signed him.

Edited by Trogdor

4 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I now have very little time for Hearts and Partick through this. They have acted like spoilt brats and really used this crisis to paper over the car crash of managerial decisions and board room decisions during their abject seasons.

If they were that bothered about avoiding relegation, they shouldn't have finished bottom. The fact that they have been attempting to use a worldwide pandemic that has killed hundreds of thousands of people as an excuse to avoid relegation is disgusting. Absolutely vile clubs.

11 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Who are the 8 McCall signings who have moved up? Shankland; Devlin; Rose; Harvie? I'm starting to struggle now. Are you including loans? 

Also, Kerr has had a January window. McCall's January windows were stinking bar one when he signed Kerr and Bell. January is always a hard window to get what you need.

The point is you cant really compare them as yet.

ETA - Was Devlin even a McCall signing? I had some awful flashback that Roberts signed him.

Aye, Nicky Devlin was signed by Mark Roberts. Probably the only good thing he did. 

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Fcking disgraceful if true. Fans not accepting refunds on season tickets to help the club, and we’re dishing out money to two scummy teams? Appalling imo

Nah it is money from directors, not out the budget.