The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

January is a hard time to find permanent deals. On the face of it, Gillespie was a real solid signing, good experience, played at a good level etc. Just didn’t work out (probably just missing a pre season). Can argue Houston was a permanent signing of his. I think with McArdle, we’ll have a better vision in signing players and probably have a more thought out shortlist of players. Time will tell, hopefully we’re able to get to the stage of signing players etc, but every club in the division is in the same boat here. 

I know he can use champ manager on his laptop to see how they perform!

January is a hard time to find permanent deals. On the face of it, Gillespie was a real solid signing, good experience, played at a good level etc. Just didn’t work out (probably just missing a pre season). Can argue Houston was a permanent signing of his. I think with McArdle, we’ll have a better vision in signing players and probably have a more thought out shortlist of players. Time will tell, hopefully we’re able to get to the stage of signing players etc, but every club in the division is in the same boat here. 
I was surprised when you signed Gillespie. He was the type of player for us where he be excellent for one then anonymous for 5 or 6. He disappeared after we lost at home to Quuen of the South in the playoffs and we got replaced him with a better player in Brad Spencer.

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

No idea why Malley is in with the rest of them. Only played a few games with a brand new team, scored and got an assist from what I remember. Drifted out of games but plenty of potential there for him to kick on. 

Its even harsh on Miller putting him alongside Ruddy and Ross. 

Doohan, Kelly and to some extent Houston have set the benchmark for what we need from loan players.  Guys who can slot into the first team and produce.  The names I mentioned all failed to meet that standard to some extent or other.   You can add Tiffoney and Cadden as well.  Sums up the problem with a lot of loan players - you tend to get guys who are unfit, low on confidence, aren’t making the grade at their parent club or didn’t really want to be put out on loan in the first place.  It’s generally a poor market to shop in unless you can catch a genuine youth talent on a season long loan deal.  

There's no need to hit the big red button labelled panic just yet.

If Murdoch and Harvie sign on that will be a huge shot in the arm for us.

Its too early to judge if Kerr can pick a player as he only really had January. On balance I think he's done alright signings wise. Malley gets pass marks, Drinan pretty good and Gillespie the less said the better. 🤣

The only position that really worries me is the goalie. There are some utter bombscares about. 

6 hours ago, AUFC 1910 said:

We have been perennial rebuilders for a long time, but our success of late has brought its disadvantages with so many players of quality moving onwards and upwards (Doc aside).

Funny Face Reaction GIF

8 hours ago, HMIP said:

As of right now, we are in serious bother.
Obviously there is time to fix that, but the bottom line is that we need at least 6 proven championship standard players to replace Forrest, Kelly, Docherty, Doohan, Kerr and probably Harvie.  History tells you that’s a big ask for a club like Ayr given our financial constraints.  
That’s before we start to ask questions about some of our more experience players who are all at various stages of needing replaced. For me, Gillespie and Geggan are done at this level, though Bell, Muirhead and Moffat are worth another season.  
 We’ve spun the roulette wheel on loan signings over the last couple of seasons and done pretty well, but again, history tells you that our luck will run out with most loan deals being a bit of a pig in a poke In terms of attitude, fitness and ability.  Kelly, Doohan and Houston have been a success, but the flip side is Jack Ruddy, Calvin Miller, Frank Ross and Connor Malley.  I’d probably have Drinan back - I think he was suffering from a lack of support after Christmas due to our more defensive tactics but he at least looked willing to put in a shift.

Can only hope Murdoch re-signs, though it’s probably unfair to expect too much too quick given he’ll have been out for over a year by the time the season re-starts.

4 hours ago, HMIP said:

Doohan, Kelly and to some extent Houston have set the benchmark for what we need from loan players.  Guys who can slot into the first team and produce.  The names I mentioned all failed to meet that standard to some extent or other.   You can add Tiffoney and Cadden as well.  Sums up the problem with a lot of loan players - you tend to get guys who are unfit, low on confidence, aren’t making the grade at their parent club or didn’t really want to be put out on loan in the first place.  It’s generally a poor market to shop in unless you can catch a genuine youth talent on a season long loan deal.  

What a load of shite.

11 hours ago, HMIP said:

I’d be surprised if anyone at the club thought re-signing Kelly was a realistic option for next season.  As things stand we’re in serious bother, the only comfort being that pretty much every other club is in the same boat.  With only 27 games to play, next season could be extraordinarily cutthroat with the difference between promotion playoffs and relegation wafer thin.

I agree with your first point and also think if Doohan wants to play at the top then he needs to play at a higher level this season. Difficult to tell exactly how good or bad we will be as it’s a unique situation. Guessing there is stuff going on quietly behind the scenes and we won’t know more until furlough ends. Would imagine each clubs financial position is somewhat different than usual which again makes any predictions difficult 

Think it’s safe to say we won’t be having a budget increase this coming season . Therefor best case scenario at the moment is we have Doc and Aldo’s salary to play with at the moment  . Add to that any off the out of contract players who we may let go . So realistically we are looking at between two and maybe four new contracted players . There will be a bunch of loans ,hopefully our luck will hold and Rangers will sent their hot young talent . 

I’ll be praying that Harvie stays , delighted if Murdock stays and pleased if Aero stays . The rest mmmmeeeeeh . 

Really suprised there’s been no signing news announced. Even Stranraer who are in a bigger limbo than us have announced 4 players either signed or re-signed for next season  

If Stranraer feel they can do that then fine.

There’s no need for us to sign players right now and have them sitting doing nothing for ages but still pick up a wage.

I guess so. Just makes the Oct start date seem a bit foolish now 

In what way?

Players will need longer than usual to get ready for the new season and managers will need a month or so to bring players in.

20 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

There’s no need for us to sign players right now and have them sitting doing nothing for ages but still pick up a wage.

Some players have been offered contracts and have to decide at end of furlough , at Ayr recently they tend not to announce anything until deals are done , players will commence training approx 6 weeks before season starts which is normal , I would not be concerned about lack of signings until then , I believe we will be in as good a position as around 80% of teams in our league , as for someone stating we will not have a budget increase , of course we will not have one , currently we will be playing 9 less games , behind the scenes at Somerset have come on leaps and bounds in the last year or so , and is much more professional 

Edited by Robbo63

21 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Some players have been offered contracts and have to decide at end of furlough , at Ayr recently they tend not to announce anything until deals are done , players will commence training approx 6 weeks before season starts which is normal , I would not be concerned about lack of signings until then , I believe we will be in as good a position as around 80% of teams in our league , as for someone stating we will not have a budget increase , of course we will not have one , currently we will be playing 9 less games , behind the scenes at Somerset have come on leaps and bounds in the last year or so , and is much more professional 

I would be willing to pay £300 for my season 9 games less or not .  I guessing with the good will shown to the club this summer ,due to exceptional circumstances others would too , Maybe have it as an option on the form . Surely our budget ain’t going to be allowed to cost us a top four finish .

49 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Firstly Stranraer may have reached agreements with players but the window isnt open for at least another fortnight so they havent 'signed' anyone. Not sure if in these unique circumstances the SFA are allowing advance lodgement of paperwork and sitting on it. They may be.

Its also a different ball game for part time clubs to sign players who are not dependent on football for a living. I imagine most of those signing are either on a very low basic wage or deferring payment of a proper wage until football actually starts. 

Worth remembering too Stranraer made the guts of £200k from playing Rangers on tv in January and have had virtually no costs since. Their Chairman conceded on radio weeks ago they had no immediate financial worries from relegation. Its not really a typical example.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 minute ago, Tigerland said:

I would be willing to pay £300 for my season 9 games less or not .  I guessing with the good will shown to the club this summer ,due to exceptional circumstances others would too , Maybe have it as an option on the form . Surely our budget ain’t going to be allowed to cost us a top four finish .

I am sure our budget will not prevent us getting the players Mark Kerr wants , lots of players know that they cannot hold clubs to ransom this year for contracts, 

8 hours ago, HMIP said:

Maybe want to give the likes of Malley a chance to meet that benchmark (particularly when joining a team mid season) rather than dismissing him based on a couple of appearances. 

18 minutes ago, HMIP said:

You’ve made a series of good points.  Some people would dismiss you as a thick c***, but not me.

Your irrational knickerwetting doesn’t merit any more of a response. Carry on if you get a kick out of it though.

7 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Maybe want to give the likes of Malley a chance to meet that benchmark (particularly when joining a team mid season) rather than dismissing him based on a couple of appearances

Kerr spent a bit of time and travelled  down south a couple of times scouting Malley . So I’d guess he thinks he has plenty to offer and it wouldn’t surprise me if he comes back and fills Kelly’s old position .