The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

10 minutes ago, super_carson said:

I think he is maybe also alluding to the fact that fans go to Somerset because they're fans and it's part of the "experience" of following a lower league team.  I think what he meant was that, in the absence of being able to be in the stadium, if you were streaming live Championship games in direct competition of EPL then a lot of  fans may chose to watch the EPL instead.  

He was basically saying, if you were solely an armchair fan, Ayr wouldn't be your club of choice, I agree wholeheartedly. 

23 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Is that a fact? Disinfecting turnstiles after every punter, socially distancing communal toilets, 500 yard long queues at pie stalls?

12 minutes ago, super_carson said:

There would be changes required to support social distancing and folk would need to understand that getting in could take longer, or that they may not be able to buy their usual half-time pie.  Might be that folk enter via the larger exits and buy tickets in advance (Remember meltdowns about them last summer?) to avoid cash-handling; might be that crowds are limited to a certain percentage of a stadium's capacity. 

Yeah this. I think it's very easy to throw away remarks that the bulk of the lower League could socially distance within stadiums but I think that would be very difficult to operate in practice.

Firstly access is a very obvious problem. It's one thing to say there's plenty space inside the ground (I@ll come back to that) but you still have to physically get them in. Closed space turnstiles are a problem that's probably insurmountable. It's clearly not practical to get people through them without touching them or to disinfect them every entry, I imagine they would need to open the much bigger exit gates for entry also. However you still need to physically check a ticket in some way or there's nothing to stop anybody who feels like it turning up. A checking process requires a queue and, with social distancing that's potentially a very long queue even to get a few hundred people in. It's also potentially a very long wait either inside or outside the ground depending on whether you are front or back. A wait in which you presumably can't move around. Will it be feasible to operate catering? What do you do about toilet facilities?

Then returning to the capacity, is it really realistic to have normal crowds inside grounds with spacing? In terracing I've no idea how you really prevent people moving about a bit. It's going to be near impossible to police and in practice capacities would have to be slashed. In seating then actually you can probably only use every 4th row or so and then a space of 2 or 3 seats either side. You are effectively talking about each person taking up about 9 seats (I did see a suggestion that Ibrox capacity under social distancing would be about 5,000 which is roughly consistent with the 1 in 9 suggestion). That's bad enough but then you've the issue of family groups wanting to sit together and not 9 seats apart. Which screws up your seating plan. It would be very, very difficult to work in practice. I heard Cameron say Ayr's capacity is 10,600 or something? I suspect under social distancing it's likely to be under 1,000.

In short, I don't think it's actually true to say average clubs could socially distance without any problem. I think it would be a major problem even down to League Two.

8 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yeah this. I think it's very easy to throw away remarks that the bulk of the lower League could socially distance within stadiums but I think that would be very difficult to operate in practice.

Firstly access is a very obvious problem. It's one thing to say there's plenty space inside the ground (I@ll come back to that) but you still have to physically get them in. Closed space turnstiles are a problem that's probably insurmountable. It's clearly not practical to get people through them without touching them or to disinfect them every entry, I imagine they would need to open the much bigger exit gates for entry also. However you still need to physically check a ticket in some way or there's nothing to stop anybody who feels like it turning up. A checking process requires a queue and, with social distancing that's potentially a very long queue even to get a few hundred people in. It's also potentially a very long wait either inside or outside the ground depending on whether you are front or back. A wait in which you presumably can't move around. Will it be feasible to operate catering? What do you do about toilet facilities?

Then returning to the capacity, is it really realistic to have normal crowds inside grounds with spacing? In terracing I've no idea how you really prevent people moving about a bit. It's going to be near impossible to police and in practice capacities would have to be slashed. In seating then actually you can probably only use every 4th row or so and then a space of 2 or 3 seats either side. You are effectively talking about each person taking up about 9 seats (I did see a suggestion that Ibrox capacity under social distancing would be about 5,000 which is roughly consistent with the 1 in 9 suggestion). That's bad enough but then you've the issue of family groups wanting to sit together and not 9 seats apart. Which screws up your seating plan. It would be very, very difficult to work in practice. I heard Cameron say Ayr's capacity is 10,600 or something? I suspect under social distancing it's likely to be under 1,000.

In short, I don't think it's actually true to say average clubs could socially distance without any problem. I think it would be a major problem even down to League Two.

Yep. I think what he should have said, is that it is possible - there are lots of logistical problems that would need to be addressed and I don't doubt there would be opposition to any measures introduced. 

I believe at Ayr  we could get around 2000 into ground following social distancing, but like most other grounds it would be hard to control , not a lot of fans would be happy staying out in the uncovered terracing in the poor weather , then again in supermarkets , train stations etc where it is hard to maintain the social distancing rules we are being asked to wear protective face coverings , could that be an option at a football match ? 

1 minute ago, Robbo63 said:

I believe at Ayr  we could get around 2000 into ground following social distancing, but like most other grounds it would be hard to control , not a lot of fans would be happy staying out in the uncovered terracing in the poor weather , then again in supermarkets , train stations etc where it is hard to maintain the social distancing rules we are being asked to wear protective face coverings , could that be an option at a football match ? 

It's another option, and the fact that it is outside where there is a greatly reduced risk of transition anyway.  

It does all, of course, depend on how things are progressing by then in terms of the govt. "phases".  

56 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Is that a fact? Disinfecting turnstiles after every punter, socially distancing communal toilets, 500 yard long queues at pie stalls? 

"Our product is shite and no-one will want to watch it"

I’d like to think that folk would sacrifice their half time pie and cuppa if it meant they were able to see the game in person. As for the turnstile/toilet thing, I’d imagine the onus would be on punters to hand sanitise with their wee gel bottles before and after going through the turnstiles and after they’d been to the toilet (yes changing the habit of a lifetime for 70% of fans)

Edited by Thereisalight..

5 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

The mask thing I was thinking about the other day. The shop would make a few quid selling masks with the badge on it, and I’m sure we’d all wear them if it meant being able to go to games again

4 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

You could get them in? Or you could accommodate them inside once they were in? It's not the same thing obviously. 2,000 would be a very long queue to get in and out and wait patiently in one place, potentially in the rain, for a match to start. How many exit gates are there at Somerset? 4 or 5? It's in a housing scheme too, albeit one with a reasonable car park outside. Social distance queuing may be difficult to operate at those sort of numbers?

I wear a scarf over my face while I'm in the supermarket but it's awkward, especially as I also wear glasses and they mist up with it I cover my nose too. It's hot and uncomfortably and that's for 10 minutes or so in a shop and back out, not 2 hours in a football ground. I assume proper masks would improve this discomfort since lots of people wear them daily for their actual work?

38 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

He was basically saying, if you were solely an armchair fan, Ayr wouldn't be your club of choice, I agree wholeheartedly. 

Until you had watched our free flowing "Barca like" attacking game and then you'd be hooked for life ??

7 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You could get them in? Or you could accommodate them inside once they were in? It's not the same thing obviously. 2,000 would be a very long queue to get in and out and wait patiently in one place, potentially in the rain, for a match to start. How many exit gates are there at Somerset? 4 or 5? It's in a housing scheme too, albeit one with a reasonable car park outside. Social distance queuing may be difficult to operate at those sort of numbers?

I wear a scarf over my face while I'm in the supermarket but it's awkward, especially as I also wear glasses and they mist up with it I cover my nose too. It's hot and uncomfortably and that's for 10 minutes or so in a shop and back out, not 2 hours in a football ground. I assume proper masks would improve this discomfort since lots of people wear them daily for their actual work?

I don't see why masks would be required ? optional perhaps and then you could just put your scarf over your face (like I do when it's cold in any case).

We could also make matches home fans only (not ideal but a start) and then we could use all entrances / exits and use the entire ground, including the wide access point at the hospitality suite.

In all honesty, I'd expect the landscape to be much changed (for the better, regarding normality) by the time August comes around.

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

I don't see why masks would be required ? optional perhaps and then you could just put your scarf over your face (like I do when it's cold in any case).

We could also make matches home fans only (not ideal but a start) and then we could use all entrances / exits and use the entire ground, including the wide access point at the hospitality suite.

In all honesty, I'd expect the landscape to be much changed (for the better, regarding normality) by the time August comes around.

I didn't say they would be required. Robbo suggested using masks might help allow more in. He's maybe right. I think it's highly likely when crowds are allowed it will be limited to home fans only initially.

Not saying it couldn't be done, just that there will be significant challenges involved for clubs to get people inside grounds again to any significant numbers, even four figure numbers.

43 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Tbf to Lachlan, I'm sure he was asked about social distancing with a figure of 500 mentioned. 

12 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

If you have to be 2 metres away from every other person then how could you possibly fit 2000 folk in to Somerset?

It's probably not as fanciful as you think. 

49 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Could get them in , use the large gates , as we are all ticket just hand ticket to operator ( who will have PPE on) 4 entry points , loads of space to queue if needed , Somerset Road , Tryfield place , Back Hawkhill Ave , no houses ad they are on other side of street , not all fans turn up together , I believe fans would turn up a little earlier and could be managed , all they are being asked is to stand a little further back than they normally do and using the bigger gates the queue will be moving continuously 

20 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

If you have to be 2 metres away from every other person then how could you possibly fit 2000 folk in to Somerset?

Only be using 20% of current ground capacity so it should be achievable 

22 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Only from people outside your household , like myself a number of fans go with at least 1 other person from same household so we can stand together  ( don’t know how they can police that but it is the government guideline )