The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 hours ago, AyrExile said:

No doubt we have improved but things have shifted big time with our manger changing and a few of our key players about to leave. Our form also regressed as the season we went on. We will have lost Forrest, Docherty and most likely Harvey by the time we start up again. Doohan and Kelly that were also a big part of this season will probably not return. Murdoch aside I don’t see much quality at the top end like we have had. We also have a couple of others who are likely to move on so all things considered that is a massive change from the last two seasons. To compete at the top like we have will need a large number of quality signings and our management team are still quite new to this. Expect us to drop back to 17/18 place which is still above where we have been for so long 

If I was a betting man I would put money on Doohan , Kelly and Harvie all being at Ayr 

5 hours ago, Robbo63 said:

Two seasons supposably punching above our weight , could that not mean we are just improving? and nothing obvious last season to show that we were any poorer than the majority of the teams in the league , we will be one of the stronger teams in any new league , I believe we will have a pool of mainly experienced players with a couple of young strong loanees , not many players will come through from Academy this coming season 2/3 at very most 

Robbo, I love your enthusiasm but the truth is probably that the overall standard of the league is below par for a countries second league. I wouldn't say we were improving per se, but definitely overachieving if respective budgets are to be believed. But you have to accept that there is a difference. 

If truth be told we were running on vapours, as was predicted, as the season progressed (one win in 7 prior to the league closing). We've got the building blocks to progress as a club if we had a bigger budget and bigger home average gate but we don't and because of that we'll forever be seen to be punching above our weight.

I also fail to see how you can claim that we'll be one of the stronger teams in any prospective new league when we don't actually know who we're going to be up against or what squads they will be able to assemble. Our recruitment has to continue to excel and overachieve for us to be making the play offs in any league format my opinion.

Lets keep playing the underdog card and not fall into the trap of looking down our noses at other clubs that are somehow deemed not worthy of being in the same league as us or have come from the "Seaside" Leagues. That was us not so very long ago, football can come and bite you on the backside in cycles, just ask our friends in Maryhill. Be careful what you wish for.

Edited by BukyOHare

52 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

If I was a betting man I would put money on Doohan , Kelly and Harvie all being at Ayr 

I'm hoping you're basing that on some good intel. All three will go on to greater things but I've loved seeing them all playing for Ayr and I hope they've lloved it too becasue it could mean you're right. One thing is certain, if we do have them for another season and get Murdoch back while replacing wee Forrest with someone just as good, we'll be up the right end of the Championship again.  

1 hour ago, Robbo63 said:

That would be great news if it happens. Kelly could develop here for another season but don’t really see what Doohan and Celtic would get. Would imagine Harvie will have better offers unless the current crisis stops movement altogether 

10 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

That would be great news if it happens. Kelly could develop here for another season but don’t really see what Doohan and Celtic would get. Would imagine Harvie will have better offers unless the current crisis stops movement altogether 

Sometimes it’s how loan players are looked after that makes the difference to the loanees club ,

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

Robbo, I love your enthusiasm but the truth is probably that the overall standard of the league is below par for a countries second league. I wouldn't say we were improving per se, but definitely overachieving if respective budgets are to be believed. But you have to accept that there is a difference. 

If truth be told we were running on vapours, as was predicted, as the season progressed (one win in 7 prior to the league closing). We've got the building blocks to progress as a club if we had a bigger budget and bigger home average gate but we don't and because of that we'll forever be seen to be punching above our weight.

I also fail to see how you can claim that we'll be one of the stronger teams in any prospective new league when we don't actually know who we're going to be up against or what squads they will be able to assemble. Our recruitment has to continue to excel and overachieve for us to be making the play offs in any league format my opinion.

Lets keep playing the underdog card and not fall into the trap of looking down our noses at other clubs that are somehow deemed not worthy of being in the same league as us or have come from the "Seaside" Leagues. That was us not so very long ago, football can come and bite you on the backside in cycles, just ask our friends in Maryhill. Be careful what you wish for.

If you go by the 12/14 probable teams in the new Championship ( if ICT go up and Hearts don’t come down ) with the exception of possibly Dundee most clubs will be running on a budget not much more than ours so will not be strengthened too much , what evidence do you see that suggests Dunfermline, Thistle , Arbroath , Morton etc will have much stronger teams than this year , most of those teams have a majority of their players out of contract this season 

6 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Just going back to that game vs Albion Rovers. I don’t think I’ve ever been at a match where I’ve looked at my phone more than the actual game I was at. I missed Moore’s goal because I was scrolling through Twitter looking at a Raith Rovers journalists live updates and then later on just looked up in time to see McDaid put us 2-0 up.

Without a doubt the strangest feeling was the seconds between our game ending and the Raith game ending. It felt like ages on the day and no one in the ground was sure what to do with themselves. We might go on to win another league in time but I don’t think the feeling after that game two years ago will be beaten.

Same. I was checking my phone every 30 seconds or so. As it got to about 85 mins played I felt sure a sucker punch would arrive from Raith. I even said that I’d rather they had won 5-0 than sneak a late goal in the last 5 mins. Thankfully my eternal pessimism wasn’t justified! 

mmm this is a little unfair and written to suit a certain narrative - believe it was two wins in seven?!

Those seven including playing Dundee United, two games against Dundee and playing most of the game with ten men against St Johnstone. The beginning of that run is two wins in seven was a win against Dunfermline, prior to that there were back to back wins over Ross County and Inverness.

The only truly poor result in that sequence of seven games was at home to Morton.

17 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Same. I was checking my phone every 30 seconds or so. As it got to about 85 mins played I felt sure a sucker punch would arrive from Raith. I even said that I’d rather they had won 5-0 than sneak a late goal in the last 5 mins. Thankfully my eternal pessimism wasn’t justified! 

Raith hitting the post in added time was proper pants shitting stuff. Was watching Bet365 live action for the last 5 mins. Absolute scenes.

Edited by Honest_Man#1

2 hours ago, Robbo63 said:

POTY , closing very soon , last chance to get your tickets £30 (  recieve a limited edition T Shirt) just under 350 tickets sold , well done to everyone who purchased a ticket , 

Just bought one. Hopefully make the 350!

Bit of a long shot but is there anywhere I’d be able to get the Purple away top from a few years back and the yellow effort from our league winning season two years ago. They are two beauties which I had at the time but due to gaining weight got rid of them. 

Bit of a long shot but is there anywhere I’d be able to get the Purple away top from a few years back and the yellow effort from our league winning season two years ago. They are two beauties which I had at the time but due to gaining weight got rid of them. 

I have one medium, mint condition, worn twice.

Would swap for similar condition and size League 1 winning home shirt.