The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

Finishing positions usually come down to the respective team budgets and squad depth overall. You would concede last season was a massive overachievement and arguably we might even have dropped out of the playoff places had the final games been played 

Also, to be a Championship winning team you're looking at being one that typically scores around 60 - 65 goals over a full season and concedes around 30 - 35 over the same period. 

For me that requires a huge upgrade to last seasons squad, even before you consider losing Forrest who was chipping in with a few. Goalscoring wide players don't come around that often. 

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong and you're right. 

Forrest was a key player for us last season but some of this is forgotten as his form dipped. For the first ten games of the season he was unplayable and we picked up a large chunk of our points here. I agree with you about needing an overhaul if we are going to be considered contenders. Our final league position and current form don’t match. We also seem to have a decent number of our squad on load deals which takes a lot of fate out of our own hands  

2 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Forrest was a key player for us last season but some of this is forgotten as his form dipped. For the first ten games of the season he was unplayable and we picked up a large chunk of our points here. I agree with you about needing an overhaul if we are going to be considered contenders. Our final league position and current form don’t match. We also seem to have a decent number of our squad on load deals which takes a lot of fate out of our own hands  

I think there will be a multitude of loan players available next season , most bigger clubs will want to cut costs , a great number of fringe players will be loaned out or sold to help balance the books 

24 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I don't think Kelly will be back at our level. He was a class above.

I’m more optimistic - I think the season being cut short is likely to lead to more players staying where they are.

What Premiership teams would be willing to guarantee him a start every game? Hamilton, Livingston and maybe St Mirren? And Livingston seem to have an abundance of midfielders already.

I’m more optimistic - I think the season being cut short is likely to lead to more players staying where they are.

What Premiership teams would be willing to guarantee him a start every game? Hamilton, Livingston and maybe St Mirren? And Livingston seem to have an abundance of midfielders already.

Not just that. He’s playing in a team with a style that suits him. Playing for Hamilton or St Mirren where their backs are to wall defending every week won’t suit him. Like Doohan last year, if he’s given the choice I think he’d want to come back to us.

25 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I thought he started superbly but faded away latterly. Saying that I’d still take him back in a heartbeat. I think like Doohan, he won’t ever make it at his parent club 

He was ineffective in a deeper role. Needs to be played  further forward. Andy Murdoch and another to do the defensive work. 

Kelly played better beside Docherty and Murdoch, when he was having to battle more he didn't do the stuff you noticed him for. He has a big future ahead of him, Not just based on him being one of the best midfielders in the championship at the age of 19 but to boss and dictate games the way he did was outstanding. 

He will play an extended period in the Rangers first team, whether Rangers will persevere with him or give him a chance long term like they did with Barry Ferguson or Allan Hutton is debatable when you look at the youth coming through in McCrorie and Middleton. They are being farmed out while Jon Flanagan and Jordan Jones get a game.

8 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Kelly played better beside Docherty and Murdoch, when he was having to battle more he didn't do the stuff you noticed him for. He has a big future ahead of him, Not just based on him being one of the best midfielders in the championship at the age of 19 but to boss and dictate games the way he did was outstanding. 

He will play an extended period in the Rangers first team, whether Rangers will persevere with him or give him a chance long term like they did with Barry Ferguson or Allan Hutton is debatable when you look at the youth coming through in McCrorie and Middleton. They are being farmed out while Jon Flanagan and Jordan Jones get a game.

The Ugly Sisters don't have the best track record for giving their young players an extended run in the first team. Which defeats one of the main points of having a youth academy in the first place.

You only have to look at Billy Gilmour and how rangers let him go to Chelsea, he'd have strolled the Scottish Premiership for a year or two. Interesting what they do with Kelly, would have thought with him playing the same position as Gerrard he'd state Rangers must keep him for as long as possible.

I'd take Doohan and Kelly again next year, think with the situation our chances of retaining these guys could be increased. Think Doohan will get another year to prove his worth for celtic, he definitely wasn't as good this season as last.

Hope we could keep Harvie and Murdoch for another year too. Would also bring Malley back but would punt Tiffoney back to Livingston, reminds me of Calvin Miller, on a good game he looks the part but other games that he turns up and looks like he doesn't even want to be there and plays a shiter.

Players like Bell and Geggan I'm not sure what you'd do with them, in Normal circumstances I'd say punt cause they're too injury prone and by their best, however could be kept for another year. Would also get back Drinan. I'd presume Kerr will be hanging up his boots this summer but who knows.

Strange times and it's seemingly impossible for clubs to plan on any front for next season because of what's going on. Best case scenario is football resumes in August behind closed doors. Worst case scenario is no football at all until 2021.

One way to solve player contractual situations would be to have no summer transfer window and the spfl to say all contracts expiring in the summer must roll on for another season because of the situation and squads therefore remain very similar for next season. However I think PFA Scotland would have something to say about that.

He was ineffective in a deeper role. Needs to be played  further forward. Andy Murdoch and another to do the defensive work. 

Don’t think this is particularly true tbh.

Playing deep he was always looking for the ball and dictated things for us. More than capable of playing either but better behind the striker.

You only have to look at Billy Gilmour and how rangers let him go to Chelsea, he'd have strolled the Scottish Premiership for a year or two. Interesting what they do with Kelly, would have thought with him playing the same position as Gerrard he'd state Rangers must keep him for as long as possible.

I'd take Doohan and Kelly again next year, think with the situation our chances of retaining these guys could be increased. Think Doohan will get another year to prove his worth for celtic, he definitely wasn't as good this season as last.

Hope we could keep Harvie and Murdoch for another year too. Would also bring Malley back but would punt Tiffoney back to Livingston, reminds me of Calvin Miller, on a good game he looks the part but other games that he turns up and looks like he doesn't even want to be there and plays a shiter.

Players like Bell and Geggan I'm not sure what you'd do with them, in Normal circumstances I'd say punt cause they're too injury prone and by their best, however could be kept for another year. Would also get back Drinan. I'd presume Kerr will be hanging up his boots this summer but who knows.

Strange times and it's seemingly impossible for clubs to plan on any front for next season because of what's going on. Best case scenario is football resumes in August behind closed doors. Worst case scenario is no football at all until 2021.

One way to solve player contractual situations would be to have no summer transfer window and the spfl to say all contracts expiring in the summer must roll on for another season because of the situation and squads therefore remain very similar for next season. However I think PFA Scotland would have something to say about that.

Games behind closed doors isn’t a best case scenario. Clubs will lose massive amounts of money by doing this.

3 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

He won’t get an extended run in the team imo. He’ll maybe play preseason friendlies (if they happen), but he won’t be thrown into league games when they’re trying to stop 10IAR. Folk said Rudden, McPake, Dallas etc would get games for them and they were punted to lower league teams. Sadly for Kelly I can see the same happening to him, but happily for us that may be a good thing 

17 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Kelly could easily play up a level, and I think he would do well tbh.

I would love him to come back on loan to us but probably better for his development he is playing in the top league.

I think he’d be decent with a bottom 6 team or Livi. I hope we get him back, but there might not even be a “next season” in 20/21