The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

11 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Is it not for the Honest Man award which is given out after each game by AU Media? Those 3 have all received the same number so they’re opening it up to the fans I think.

Think so. Still surprised Doc and Doohan are there though.  Though Doc started playing noticeably better after it was announced  he had signed for Thistle.

Right folks - as I’m furloughed, during my lockdown and have a bit of spare time I’m looking for a way of raising a wee bit of cash for the club.

I do a bit of drawing / artwork / illustration on the side, so I’m looking for a good photo of Somerset - ideally from the outside - that I can turn into an illustration - then I’ll it as a print, with profits going to the club.

Can you send me any suggested pics you might have?

http:// https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/StevenMcClureArt

3 hours ago, pandarilla said:

But do you think that's a price we have to pay?

It's not just about the economy in general (although how long can we pay wages and keep the health service funded in lockdown?) - but if half our football clubs disappear due to this then we've let our completely change our society.

At some point we have to find a way to manage this without everything turning to shit. Short term - the lockdown is needed - but are we really willing to decimate Scottish football for this virus?

It's a horrible question with no easy solutions. But i fear there are too many people willing to accept a semi permanent lockdown until the whole thing can be completely controlled, and are willing to accept any consequences for that.

Capitalism is shite eh? 

Think so. Still surprised Doc and Doohan are there though.  Though Doc started playing noticeably better after it was announced  he had signed for Thistle.

Doohan hasn’t nearly been as good as he was last season but he’s had a few games where he looked like he might be getting back to his best. Doc was pretty average and then really stepped up before getting injured at Firhill.

I’m looking forward to news on the new football season purely for the chatter about signings rather than us talking about the current crisis.

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Doohan hasn’t nearly been as good as he was last season but he’s had a few games where he looked like he might be getting back to his best. Doc was pretty average and then really stepped up before getting injured at Firhill.

I’m looking forward to news on the new football season purely for the chatter about signings rather than us talking about the current crisis.

I don't think there will be many signings for a long time, as if you sign a new player you can't furlough them. 

This will inevitably lead to folk staying put for another season. 

Edited by itzdrk

I don't think there will be many signings for a long time, as if you sign a new player you can't furlough them. 
This will inevitably lead to folk staying put for another season. 

Aye I would suggest the club do the right thing by the players and offer everyone terms. I wouldn’t have been in favour of keeping the likes of Geggan or Muirhead but we can’t cast these guys out when they won’t be able to sign for another club. I might be too sentimental though.

Aye I would suggest the club do the right thing by the players and offer everyone terms. I wouldn’t have been in favour of keeping the likes of Geggan or Muirhead but we can’t cast these guys out when they won’t be able to sign for another club. I might be too sentimental though.

If you look at the longer term - players will remember who treated players like shit - and who looked after their own.

I would agree about offering terms - at least give all the guys a chance to keep a roof over their heads

4 hours ago, pandarilla said:

It's not just about the economy in general (although how long can we pay wages and keep the health service funded in lockdown?) - but if half our football clubs disappear due to this then we've let our completely change our society.

At some point we have to find a way to manage this without everything turning to shit. Short term - the lockdown is needed - but are we really willing to decimate Scottish football for this virus?

It's a horrible question with no easy solutions. But i fear there are too many people willing to accept a semi permanent lockdown until the whole thing can be completely controlled, and are willing to accept any consequences for that.

Seriously? In a heartbeat. And I love my football. I love my children more though.

55 minutes ago, Mod1967 said:

Harvie by a mile, Doohan...Really ?

Harvie for me .. Doohan 2nd highest amount of saves & 3rd highest clean sheets In league surely not that bad ? Thought Forrest early season form would have got him a few honest men

6 hours ago, pandarilla said:

It's not a case of "decimating Scottish football" for the virus, but recognising the fact that businesses (including football clubs) can be rebooted or replaced in the future. Human beings can't be replaced, and the economic consequences of the lockdown are preferable to the loss of life that would occur if the lockdown is lifted too soon.

6 hours ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Right folks - as I’m furloughed, during my lockdown and have a bit of spare time I’m looking for a way of raising a wee bit of cash for the club.

I do a bit of drawing / artwork / illustration on the side, so I’m looking for a good photo of Somerset - ideally from the outside - that I can turn into an illustration - then I’ll it as a print, with profits going to the club.

I had a look at your work, it’s very good, but one thing - you should put a huge watermark on it to stop radges printing them off for free

The biggest gutter for me at the way this season has ended is not seeing Forrest have a goodbye.  First time I've seen someone from being a wee boy watching me and my pals play boys club with his big brother at KG5 right through to playing nearly 250 games for Ayr by the age of 23.   Some fantastic goals along the way as well.  Something I'll personally never experience again. 

Even worse - that's Forrest, Devlin and Crawford at Livi now - making it harder and harder to hate them haha

9 hours ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Some talent btw 👏

Ideally, it should be a picture with the old floodlights. I miss them, I know they were a death trap, consumed loads of power and only about 6 bulbs worked in each one but they were iconic. 

I'll definitely buy a print. 

Seriously? In a heartbeat. And I love my football. I love my children more though.

Kids are barely touched by this virus, which weakens your cheap shot.

I genuinely think more damage will be done in terms of health if we're still locked down next year, including deaths (the last ten years of austerity have caused deaths - and this will already blow that out the water even if we got back to normal tomorrow).
It's not a case of "decimating Scottish football" for the virus, but recognising the fact that businesses (including football clubs) can be rebooted or replaced in the future. Human beings can't be replaced, and the economic consequences of the lockdown are preferable to the loss of life that would occur if the lockdown is lifted too soon.
I hope you're right. But I'm not sure businesses (and clubs) are that resilient. Clubs go out of business and never return, and I'm not convinced the govt can keep funding people indefinitely.

10 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I hope you're right. But I'm not sure businesses (and clubs) are that resilient. Clubs go out of business and never return, and I'm not convinced the govt can keep funding people indefinitely.

Maybe, but I'd like to think that if Ayr United ever went out of business that there would be enough interest to prevent our town being without a football club. 

Unfortunately there is no smooth way out of this situation. The economy is almost certainly going to take an absolute battering and both businesses and individuals are going to struggle and face potential financial ruin.

However, the alternative would result in an increased loss of life. No one in their right mind is going to sanction the lifting of the lockdown before it's deemed safe to do so.

It's a shite situation for everybody, but that's where we are.

When the lockdown causes more harm than the virus, then we'll come out of it.

Plenty more people are going to die, unfortunately. But the lockdown will be eased by the summer.

I hope football follows by september / October - but you're right, there's a lot of unknowns.