The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

@AYRSHIRE_ANGUS What’s the train situation next Friday? Are all trains from Ayr to Dumfries off?

Get the train to Carlisle before the game (I'm leaving Edinburgh 3pm), train from Dumfries after the game 2303. Botchergate till 4am. Or is this just me?

Edited to add you don't go home to Scotland after QOS away. 

Edited by AYRSHIRE_ANGUS

3 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Good work. Keep safe 😷

Hole in the wa, is that an option Friday night? Want a bit of solid Dumfries madness before hitting planet Cumbria. I've been out there once on a Sunday night and it was good fun. 

Edited by AYRSHIRE_ANGUS

9 hours ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

Get the train to Carlisle before the game (I'm leaving Edinburgh 3pm), train from Dumfries after the game 2303. Botchergate till 4am. Or is this just me?

Edited to add you don't go home to Scotland after QOS away. 

You Crazy GIF by memecandy

With 3 players in the U21 squad for the games on 27th and 31st I am assuming the away game vs ICT on the 28th will be postponed into April?

It already had been postponed because they're in the final of the Caramel Wafer Cup that weekend. Have known that for weeks so don't know why it's taking so long for a new date to be announced.

Going to be one of the last few weeks of the season though probably and could be huge in deciding 2nd place.

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

It already had been postponed because they're in the final of the Caramel Wafer Cup that weekend. Have known that for weeks so don't know why it's taking so long for a new date to be announced.

Going to be one of the last few weeks of the season though probably and could be huge in deciding 2nd place.

Forgot about that, had checked the fixtures on our website, and its still listed in March

It will be good to get Friday's game played. After that Ayr only have three more home games (excluding playoffs) so the risks of corona-imposed closed doors matches are limited, compared to other sides.

I wonder if people would be willing to buy tickets online to closed doors games as a show of support in the circumstances, if that is what has to happen.

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

The BBC rules... FB_IMG_1583850478221.jpg

At the risk of defending BBC Scotland’s tinpot coverage of our league, it’s a bit late in the day to be asking for it to be pushed back. It’s been scheduled for at least a few weeks.

Get this season in the bin. 

Yep. Very, very similar to last year.

Option 1. We limp through and steal a playoff place, going out quickly and predictably like last season.

Option 2. We limp through and miss a playoff place. Even more depressing than option 1, and probably a lot of pressure on kerr.

Option 3. We somehow, from somewhere, grab a few wins and get some momentum. This takes us on a glorious run to the playoff final, with either unimaginable glory or heroic failure. Kerr carried from the field by fans.

Option 4. Nuclear option. We really struggle and from nowhere partick and qos pick up runs and we fall deep into relegation mire. Kerr chased from Somerset by pitch forks.

45% chance of options 1 or 2.

7% chance of option 3.

3% chance of option 4.

Fag packet figures but that's what i reckon. Bit meh.

21 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Yep. Very, very similar to last year.

Option 1. We limp through and steal a playoff place, going out quickly and predictably like last season.

Option 2. We limp through and miss a playoff place. Even more depressing than option 1, and probably a lot of pressure on kerr.

Option 3. We somehow, from somewhere, grab a few wins and get some momentum. This takes us on a glorious run to the playoff final, with either unimaginable glory or heroic failure. Kerr carried from the field by fans.

Option 4. Nuclear option. We really struggle and from nowhere partick and qos pick up runs and we fall deep into relegation mire. Kerr chased from Somerset by pitch forks.

45% chance of options 1 or 2.

7% chance of option 3.

3% chance of option 4.

Fag packet figures but that's what i reckon. Bit meh.

Friday is now a massive game for both clubs and although Queens are out of form, Palmerston is far from a happy hunting ground for us.

Hopefully we'll shake things up and bring in Doc with Kerr also playing. I'd also like to see McCowan being given a start alongside Forrest and Malley with Drinan up top. I think that team could exploit any tiredness / lack of confidence and we do really need to be going for the jugular in this one. The pitch isn't the greatest synthetic surface, however if we play the ball on the deck it should still move far quicker and truer than most grass surfaces at this time of the year.

On a positive note we've now got a better run of games coming up (on paper) and the next 10 days could see us back up in the top 2 or 3, so while last night was disappointing, our season is FAR from over.

35 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Friday is now a massive game for both clubs and although Queens are out of form, Palmerston is far from a happy hunting ground for us.

Hopefully we'll shake things up and bring in Doc with Kerr also playing. I'd also like to see McCowan being given a start alongside Forrest and Malley with Drinan up top. I think that team could exploit any tiredness / lack of confidence and we do really need to be going for the jugular in this one. The pitch isn't the greatest synthetic surface, however if we play the ball on the deck it should still move far quicker and truer than most grass surfaces at this time of the year.

On a positive note we've now got a better run of games coming up (on paper) and the next 10 days could see us back up in the top 2 or 3, so while last night was disappointing, our season is FAR from over.

Agree with the sentiment of freshening the side up, but on the stream I saw last night, McCowan looked so disinterested. Spent more time flapping his arms about in apparent frustration at his teammates and making half arsed attempts to make anything happen. 

Miles away from the hungry, energetic player we saw playing on the front foot, doing things with a purpose and without fear, when he first broke into the team. We need to get that player back urgently. 

Forrest apparently not 100% last night either. 

10 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Agree with the sentiment of freshening the side up, but on the stream I saw last night, McCowan looked so disinterested. Spent more time flapping his arms about in apparent frustration at his teammates and making half arsed attempts to make anything happen. 

Miles away from the hungry, energetic player we saw playing on the front foot, doing things with a purpose and without fear, when he first broke into the team. We need to get that player back urgently. 

Forrest apparently not 100% last night either. 

Yes, McCowan looked a bit like that a couple of weeks back but I thought he did try hard against United just that nothing came off for him. Forrest did look as if he took a knock on Saturday but I do think we really need to go after Queens rather than "hope" for a 1-0 scrappy win with a long range Drinan deflected shot or something.

There’s obvious merit in being a tougher side to beat but it’s come at a price. We’ve struggled to cut sides open for months.

The inclusion of Aaron Drinan has changed the entire set up of the side and it doesn’t always get the best out of us. He works tirelessly, he unsettles defenders and is an ideal option to have, but there needs to be a balance.

Sides hated Moffat, McCowan & Forrest buzzing around the final third being supported by Kelly. It was shifting the ball quickly and getting through sides pulling defenders out of position, now it seems too predictable when they send longer balls to Drinan.

Certain games are perfect for Drinan starting, but for an under confident QOS side away on Fri I’d be going back to what worked previously. Doc or Muirhead protecting a back four, Kelly & Malley supporting a front three of Tiffoney, Moffat & McCowan.

I’d rather see a 3-3 draw instead of a scoreless draw.

14 minutes ago, HeathrowAUFC said:

There’s obvious merit in being a tougher side to beat but it’s come at a price. We’ve struggled to cut sides open for months.

The inclusion of Aaron Drinan has changed the entire set up of the side and it doesn’t always get the best out of us. He works tirelessly, he unsettles defenders and is an ideal option to have, but there needs to be a balance.

Sides hated Moffat, McCowan & Forrest buzzing around the final third being supported by Kelly. It was shifting the ball quickly and getting through sides pulling defenders out of position, now it seems too predictable when they send longer balls to Drinan.

Certain games are perfect for Drinan starting, but for an under confident QOS side away on Fri I’d be going back to what worked previously. Doc or Muirhead protecting a back four, Kelly & Malley supporting a front three of Tiffoney, Moffat & McCowan.

I’d rather see a 3-3 draw instead of a scoreless draw.

Excellent post.

Yes, Drinan himself has been superb and has either been mom or close to mom in almost every game, however what you say is bang on as through no fault of his own he's actually made us more toothless up front and encouraged our defence to punt long balls and miss out the midfield.

This has actually resulted in Forrest, McCowan and Moffat look poor when in fact it's not really through any fault of their own (although Moffs finishing hasn't been the best this season).

What do you do ? Do you drop Drinan ? or use him more as a target man / focal point with our wingers and midfielders getting further up the park and closer to him ?

Over to you on that one Mark.