The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Yep, I quite enjoy being out on the north terrace. Only time I get frustrated with the north terrace is when some knob chucks chips and you get dive bombed by seagulls! 

The only time there are not seagulls dive-bombing the north terrace is when the prevailing wind would send them to Oslo.

The north terrace is literally the best place to be in football outside of the Allianz in August if the sun is out. Nonetheless it would benefit from being usable for more than 5% of the year.

2 hours ago, Iain said:

After an injury like Murdoch’s it’s normal to need as long back playing as was spent injured to get near previous performance levels. We shouldn’t expect miracles.

Can hear the SRE sharpening their knives already, I give it 6 minutes into his first game back. 

Not as big a blow with Malley, Gillespie, Kerr and two returnees (dependent on their rehab) in Murdoch and Geggan to also play in there. 
If it is 6 weeks that also means a fit and energised Doc coming back for what could be a vital stage of the season. 
You need to be working in PR mate.

I've never seen such a positive spin on such a clearly negative story.

You almost had me thinking doc's injury was a wee boost for us.

Can i also add that decent toilets should not be unaffordable for the club, in both ends. This is 2020 and a lot of folk need access to toilets regularly - this should be a priority in terms of ground improvements.

And I'm not having anyone slag the burger van - they just need to improve what they offer.

Food kiosks are hardly high quality elsewhere and it just takes a bit of creativity in tems of unique stock that you can only get at Somerset and a good army of volunteers to keep the queses down. I'm thinking a special pie or pastry from a local butcher and a couple of old school sweets that you hardly see anymore. That and some decent chips and you've got a great wee trade.

Ffs in the height of summer we don't even offer cold drinks that are cold. None are in a fucking fridge. It's embarrassing.

9 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Can i also add that decent toilets should not be unaffordable for the club, in both ends. This is 2020 and a lot of folk need access to toilets regularly - this should be a priority in terms of ground improvements.

And I'm not having anyone slag the burger van - they just need to improve what they offer.

Food kiosks are hardly high quality elsewhere and it just takes a bit of creativity in tems of unique stock that you can only get at Somerset and a good army of volunteers to keep the queses down. I'm thinking a special pie or pastry from a local butcher and a couple of old school sweets that you hardly see anymore. That and some decent chips and you've got a great wee trade.

Ffs in the height of summer we don't even offer cold drinks that are cold. None are in a fucking fridge. It's embarrassing.

It would cost a fortune and is probably way down the list of priorities but burger van on the corner of the NT / SRE  really needs covered over somehow. It isn't great going to get a tea/coffee for a heat to come back drenched and even colder. Also having the sugar (not that I use it) exposed to the elements on the wee table gives me the fear. Also the a mass scramble past it to get to the railway end when we are allowed down that end can lead to a bottleneck with folk trying to push by each other.  Is there a reason we can't have a gate on the seggy fence that can be padlocked shut other than cost? I.e. Is it a HSE / Safety cert stipulation? 

47 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

You need to be working in PR mate.

I've never seen such a positive spin on such a clearly negative story.

You almost had me thinking doc's injury was a wee boost for us.

It is what I do of sorts, cheers. 👍

We're likely going to have to get used to life without him soon enough. An enforced change in the middle of the park might be just what we need. 

Time will tell. 

1 hour ago, ryanayr1987 said:

You can’t even get a water it’s Capri sun coffee tea or Bovril- that is ridiculous!

Yes, I always found that rather bizarre as I used to quite like a coke at the game to go with my Cheeseburger, Hot Dog or Pie. Apart from that the mark up on a cup of coke is huge, so surely anyone with half a  brain would think to purchase a couple of dozen 2 litre bottles and then punt a 250ml serving for about £1.50 ???

Easy money and keeps the natives happy.

As an aside, my all time favourite has to be Ochilview and the "4 in one" ? kebab shop that they had inside the ground, just superb, yum, yum, yum..............

1 hour ago, ryanayr1987 said:

You can’t even get a water it’s Capri sun coffee tea or Bovril- that is ridiculous!

That's that bloody van, go under the stand for better choice and money goes to the club. 

I think it's far too early to be writing of Gillespie, Yes, he did look slow and off the pace especially in the second half on Saturday, however the extenuating circumstances included playing against higher league opposition, playing with a man short and also Gillespie himself was clearly lacking match sharpness.

Doc has done well this season but again he's had his ups and downs, he's given the ball away and caused us goals on a few occasions and I'd reckon he must have been pretty close to a suspension as well. There's no doubt he's a good professional and will be missed but then again he's already away in a few months in any case so we're as well to start planning life without him right now as it will be a permanent reality sooner rather than later.

Is he irreplaceable ?

Certainly not.

Think it's an excellent point about the street-facing wall of the Somerset Road End. I don't see those in houses across the road making any objections if we were to get that painted in black and white panels. Surely anything is better than grey stone?

Would perhaps be a worthwhile exercise to contact the Council's Employability & Skills Team and see if we can get a project set up with them for young people with an interest in painting and decorating to come along and paint that wall. Mutually beneficial to all concerned and it would certainly be an improvement. 

Would also like to see the back wall of the SRE inside decorated with flags on a permanent basis similar to what Burton Albion and Partick Thistle have (below)

Image result for burton stadium fans

Image result for firhill

Basically make the place black and white as f**k.

Edited by AyrTroopMajor

39 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Think it's an excellent point about the street-facing wall of the Somerset Road End. I don't see those in houses across the road making any objections if we were to get that painted in black and white panels. Surely anything is better than grey stone?

Would perhaps be a worthwhile exercise to contact the Council's Employability & Skills Team and see if we can get a project set up with them for young people with an interest in painting and decorating to come along and paint that wall. Mutually beneficial to all concerned and it would certainly be an improvement. 

Would also like to see the back wall of the SRE inside decorated with flags on a permanent basis similar to what Burton Albion and Partick Thistle have (below)

Image result for firhill

Perhaps inviting the local residents to the Ally McLeod Suite to get an idea of what would be preferable to them would be a good idea. Wee buffet and a drink and a chat, good PR. 

I see in the Post that the excellent murals at the Lorne Arcade have been painted over by the council. What about inviting the guy that did them to do something in the inside of the SRE! I dont know of he was paid for  it but surely we could chip in a few quid.

1 hour ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Image result for firhill

Giving the area Somerset is in I’d give it a week before the flags are stolen. 

Nothing much wrong with Somerset in my book. Put a roof on North Terrace if possible and improve toilets and catering. Lick of paint and it's perfect for one game of football every 2 weeks. Spending millions on it wouldn't see a huge increase in crowds.

13 minutes ago, ftk said:

Nothing much with Somerset in my book. Put a roof on North Terrace if possible and improve toilets and catering. Lick of paint and it's perfect for one game of football every 2 weeks. Spending millions on it wouldn't see a huge increase in crowds.

Would make total sense to put a roof on the NT and upgrade the hospitality suite at the same time. Nothing wrong with the current setup but a stand length roof would allow expansion of it, maybe even increased facilities for club use such as a bigger gym for the players.