The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Tbf, I think Kerr has mixed it up tactically more than his predecessor and more since any manager since I've been following us.

I'm pretty sure him and McCardle look at the opposition for the next week and set the tactics accordingly and work on it in training. It's one of the key uses of McCardle's laptop!

As Iain has just said it's like a horses for courses scenario.
I know not everyone agrees with me but I thought we were extremely fortunate to get a point on Friday and never at any stage did we look likely to win the match as apart from the first 10 mins, we created virtually nothing.

Partick didn’t particularly create much either.

After the first ten minutes they sat deep and Drinnan had no space so we struggled to create. Things opened up in the last twenty but we didn’t show enough quality to create anything.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

As Iain has just said it's like a horses for courses scenario.

I know not everyone agrees with me but I thought we were extremely fortunate to get a point on Friday and never at any stage did we look likely to win the match as apart from the first 10 mins, we created virtually nothing.

The reason I stated it was as the poster said we should revert back to possession based that we played at start of season , Kerr changes shape if and when required , so the way he played the last 4 games works , he changed shape against Ross County when the brought in the tall sub , he again adapted on Friday when they took off McKinnon and put more pace in midfield Kerr again made a sub to counteract, Kerr knows what he is doing  he will change tactics when required so no need to revert back to one style of football  

1 hour ago, Robbo63 said:

The reason I stated it was as the poster said we should revert back to possession based that we played at start of season , Kerr changes shape if and when required , so the way he played the last 4 games works , he changed shape against Ross County when the brought in the tall sub , he again adapted on Friday when they took off McKinnon and put more pace in midfield Kerr again made a sub to counteract, Kerr knows what he is doing  he will change tactics when required so no need to revert back to one style of football  

Yes, this was more or less what I was saying. I fully understand that he changed things against our Highland bogey teams and I was one of the first to applaud his tactics against them as our previous way was proven that it just didn't work. 

As I say, I just hope he does change back against the teams that our possession style has also proven to pay dividends.

It's no exact science of course and the players aren't machines so I suppose we're still more than capable of getting stuffed playing any style !!

4 hours ago, Robbo63 said:

2 wins  at home a draw and win away with those tactics , why change if it’s working , might not be very pretty but certainly effective 

If we hadn't scored from a soft penalty on Friday would it have been seen as "effective"? 

This forum would've been in meltdown because of our lack of attacking threat. 

Of course its ultimately all about results, but whatever formation or tactics the management team decide, it can't be to the detriment of our natural attacking flair and intent. 

We can't always rely on sneaking ugly 1-0 wins, we certainly don't have the players for that, see the goal conceded against Thistle, they didn't have to work very hard for it. 

There's surely a balance between containment and letting the opposition worry about us. For me, that's the biggest challenge the management team have. 

I'd get Moffat more centrally in behind Drinan and see if he can get on the ball and help us have more of a threat in the final third. 

Edited by BukyOHare

On another day, we'd have lost Friday's match at Firhill by a couple of goals while looking dreadful and inept - been there, done that. Thistle will likely be okay now with the signings they've made.  Mark Kerr seems to have instilled a bit more fight in a team that can at least play more than decent football  at times and I applaud him for that even if we were a tad lucky to get back into it the way we did via a soft penalty. But I'd particualrly say well done to our defenders, especially big Muirhead who gets in some good tackles and headers and winds up the opposition - if he can fill the shoes left by big Jamie then he'll do for me. I'm a bit less convinced by us in midfield which, given that Kerr is about to retire, the Doc about to leave and Kelly moving on to greater things (though probably not at GreySkull), is a much bigger problem for next season, whatever league we're in. Work to be done in there and  especially as Malley is only here for a short spell. Don't really see Tiffoney or Gillespie being part of a long term plan (go on, prove me wrong), nor the Moff for sure.  Happy if we can hold onto Harvie and Forrest even if that's a doubt so I'm left hoping some of the academy boys are ready for a step up Luke McCowan style (hoping the boy rediscovers some form soon!.  Onwards, Ayr, and keep this going please.    

15 hours ago, Jazzar said:

On another day, we'd have lost Friday's match at Firhill by a couple of goals while looking dreadful and inept - been there, done that. Thistle will likely be okay now with the signings they've made.  Mark Kerr seems to have instilled a bit more fight in a team that can at least play more than decent football  at times and I applaud him for that even if we were a tad lucky to get back into it the way we did via a soft penalty. But I'd particualrly say well done to our defenders, especially big Muirhead who gets in some good tackles and headers and winds up the opposition - if he can fill the shoes left by big Jamie then he'll do for me. I'm a bit less convinced by us in midfield which, given that Kerr is about to retire, the Doc about to leave and Kelly moving on to greater things (though probably not at GreySkull), is a much bigger problem for next season, whatever league we're in. Work to be done in there and  especially as Malley is only here for a short spell. Don't really see Tiffoney or Gillespie being part of a long term plan (go on, prove me wrong), nor the Moff for sure.  Happy if we can hold onto Harvie and Forrest even if that's a doubt so I'm left hoping some of the academy boys are ready for a step up Luke McCowan style (hoping the boy rediscovers some form soon!.  Onwards, Ayr, and keep this going please.    

This is a good point, I'm convinced that systems and tactics go a very long way in making / defining players as opposed to it all being individual skill.

In a nutshell, if you had watched Ayr at the start of this season you'd have thought we had some fantastic attacking talent but that our defence was extremely dodgy, however over the past few games you could easily think that the opposite applied with us having a really solid defence but not showing as much in midfield or going forward (although we did create a fair few chances against Inverness).

I suppose it's all about balance and so far Kerr has done a pretty good job I'd say, Yes, we were far from our best on Friday night and the game was also far from entertaining, however it may just prove to be a very good point when we look back on it later. That though depends on how the next three league matches go of course and the cup match is just a bonus, all be it a very winnable one.

As the man said walking across the minefield, so far , so good..................

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

This is a good point, I'm convinced that systems and tactics go a very long way in making / defining players as opposed to it all being individual skill.

In a nutshell, if you had watched Ayr at the start of this season you'd have thought we had some fantastic attacking talent but that our defence was extremely dodgy, however over the past few games you could easily think that the opposite applied with us having a really solid defence but not showing as much in midfield or going forward (although we did create a fair few chances against Inverness).

I suppose it's all about balance and so far Kerr has done a pretty good job I'd say, Yes, we were far from our best on Friday night and the game was also far from entertaining, however it may just prove to be a very good point when we look back on it later. That though depends on how the next three league matches go of course and the cup match is just a bonus, all be it a very winnable one.

As the man said walking across the minefield, so far , so good..................

Think a lot is to do with how Moff plays. He has not been at his best since the Partick game and thats the last game we played with attcking flair

34 minutes ago, DeStevie said:

Think a lot is to do with how Moff plays. He has not been at his best since the Partick game and thats the last game we played with attcking flair

I think to see Moff at his best he needs the likes of Forrest and McCowan close to him so they can play their intricate pass and move game, when he's detached and isolated without support he's looking pretty poor (as would anyone to be fair).

My only real criticism of him would be his finishing recently as it's been terrible and not like him at all.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the boy from Boro as reading about him I think he could be excellent in our side, similar to Kelly, and give us even more pace and quality going forward.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Tidser away to Kelty.

I don’t think we were going to sign him after Malley but that’s a horrific lack of ambition from the guy. Two moves in the last year both motivated by cash.

I’d imagine they are wanting to do similar to Cove. Signed a few ballers. Fash, Dylan Easton, Tam Reilly to name a few. 

ETA: Just noticed they have recently signed our very own Craig Reid from East Kilbride. 

Edited by ayrunitedfw