The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Is he any good? Obviously a few years since you had him but he’s not been getting good reviews from Falkirk fans.

Younger version of Mark Kerr who hasnt quite fulfilled his potential with his last couple of clubs after initially making the step up with County pretty seemlessly. Get the version latterly with us and most of his County spell you are on a winner. But he got mixed reviews at St Mirren and appears to have had a poor time at Falkirk. Next move crucial for him.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Who does get good reviews from Falkirk fans lets be honest

If we sign McShane then we’ve signed a guy with plenty of experience in the Championship and played a lot of games for a team that won the league.

A brutal year or so at that rank Falkirk outfit isn’t enough to write all of the above off. For the record I thought he was good on his debut against us down at Somerset when they beat us and also in the league cup game albeit he missed a penalty.

Having just seen Rangers have absolutely shafted QOTS with McCrorie i'm not absolutely shitting myself for the remaining 10 days of the window with us obviously having Kelly and Doohan.

Wouldn't be surprised if Holt made an approach to Celtic over Doohan.

Having just seen Rangers have absolutely shafted QOTS with McCrorie i'm not absolutely shitting myself for the remaining 10 days of the window with us obviously having Kelly and Doohan.

I’d be pretty surprised considering Holt has just signed McCrorie for Livi. I think Doohan is safe but you might have a point with Kelly. Still think it’s unlikely but you never know.

I’d be pretty surprised considering Holt has just signed McCrorie for Livi. I think Doohan is safe but you might have a point with Kelly. Still think it’s unlikely but you never know.
I would assume that Kerr probably has 3 or 4 names for every position, reading between the lines from his post match on Saturday. The fact he's talking about having signings in place for next season ahead of the summer is encouraging.

4 hours ago, rb123! said:

That's the risk of having loan players. We're only borrowing these guys and if the parent club want them back so be it. 

I'd be amazed if QOS didn't know there was a possibility McRorie could be recalled in January, but it still doesn't excuse Rangers' making the decision at this stage of the window. 

Strange one when you think of it, has the player or his agent forced this move?

That's the risk of having loan players. We're only borrowing these guys and if the parent club want them back so be it. 
I'd be amazed if QOS didn't know there was a possibility McRorie could be recalled in January, but it still doesn't excuse Rangers' making the decision at this stage of the window. 
Strange one when you think of it, has the player or his agent forced this move?

Wouldn’t surprise me! Both Ross and Robbie have made strange decisions in their careers.

Robbie stringing us along for three months only to stay at rangers and not even warm the bench!

Ross getting game time with us before taking the hump and away to sit on the bench at Rangers!- not entirely sure there was something between McCall and Ross tbh!

6 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

McCrorie has played his way much closer to the first team with his performances this season. This way Rangers get to test him at their level and if he does well will be backup goalie next season. Kelly is still a bit away from the first team so doubtful they would move him. Doohan would be more likely to leave as in a similar position to McCrorie. This only really happened as an unexpected turn of events hit Livi. Time is ticking so doubtful another opening like this would appear for Doohan or whether Celtic would want to move him anyway

55 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Wouldn’t surprise me! Both Ross and Robbie have made strange decisions in their careers.

Robbie stringing us along for three months only to stay at rangers and not even warm the bench!

Ross getting game time with us before taking the hump and away to sit on the bench at Rangers!- not entirely sure there was something between McCall and Ross tbh!

He was left to get himself to Ninewells hospital, he was lucky Paddy Boyle had to go too, v amateur, v McCall. 

2 hours ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Ross McCrorie was treated awfully while on loan here. Of course Robby is going to have reservations about coming. 

Doohan turned down  Livi in the summer did he not, so wouldn't surprise if they were in for him again now. This is Kelly's first season playing league football and he's doing well so I don't think Rangers would want to disrupt  that.Plus it looks like both players like being here and surely  they would have a say in the matter.

Disgraceful behaviour from Rangers.  

If they want to use championship clubs to assist in the development of young players that can’t get near their first team then they need to act in good faith.  It’s one thing if the player is recalled because he has been sold or is needed for the first team, but to do it for such minimal gain is quite dreadful.   It’s not even clear he’ll be first choice at Livingston for the remainder of the season.   The timing is shocking as well given we are heading towards the end of the transfer window.  Hope we don’t get stung with Kelly or Houston and I would like to think Celtic would act more professionally and appropriately regards Doohan.

The real issue here is the number of youth players that Celtic and Rangers are allowed to carry on their books.   On one hand it stops clubs like Ayr signing them for our own youth academies while at the same time putting clubs like us in the position of being treated as feeder clubs for their youth development only to be potentially shafted in the way Queens have.   Most of these young players end up on the scrap heap as well.  Our recent experience with Rose, Shankland and now Harvie (all ex-Aberdeen interestingly) demonstrates how lousy our top teams are at developing talent while at the same time shutting out clubs like ourselves.

15 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Disgraceful behaviour from Rangers.  

If they want to use championship clubs to assist in the development of young players that can’t get near their first team then they need to act in good faith.  It’s one thing if the player is recalled because he has been sold or is needed for the first team, but to do it for such minimal gain is quite dreadful.   It’s not even clear he’ll be first choice at Livingston for the remainder of the season.   The timing is shocking as well given we are heading towards the end of the transfer window.  Hope we don’t get stung with Kelly or Houston and I would like to think Celtic would act more professionally and appropriately regards Doohan.

The real issue here is the number of youth players that Celtic and Rangers are allowed to carry on their books.   On one hand it stops clubs like Ayr signing them for our own youth academies while at the same time putting clubs like us in the position of being treated as feeder clubs for their youth development only to be potentially shafted in the way Queens have.   Most of these young players end up on the scrap heap as well.  Our recent experience with Rose, Shankland and now Harvie (all ex-Aberdeen interestingly) demonstrates how lousy our top teams are at developing talent while at the same time shutting out clubs like ourselves.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that successful loan deals are of extreme benefit to clubs like ourselves and Queens in that you're getting a 7 or 8/10 player for very little outlay. 

How much would Doohan or Kelly be costing  us in wages on a permanent contract? 

If we can continue being trusted with getting the better players from the bigger teams, we have to keep using it to our advantage, but knowing that we are at the behest of the parent club. 

In no way am I excusing the timing of the baffling decision by Rangers either. 

In terms of the Aberdeen players let go and finding a home with us, there's no way that any of them would truly have felt that an extended spell at Pittodrie would've seen them get the minutes and ultimately development we gave them. The bigger clubs of course should do a lot better with the budget and academy they have access to, but players will simply develop in their own time and often away from the football factories that these bigger clubs operate like. 

For those in the know, can I ask if we had treated McCrorie as badly as has been suggested on here, why Rangers entrusted McCall / us with Kelly? 

How many of our own Academy graduates have left us as youth players and made a career in the senior game? 

I'm thinking David Mitchell, Jackson Longridge and Aaron Muirhead off the top of my head. Any others? 

1 minute ago, BukyOHare said:

Let's not lose sight of the fact that successful loan deals are of extreme benefit to clubs like ourselves and Queens in that you're getting a 7 or 8/10 player for very little outlay. 

How much would Doohan or Kelly be costing  us in wages on a permanent contract? 

If we can continue being trusted with getting the better players from the bigger teams, we have to keep using it to our advantage, but knowing that we are at the behest of the parent club. 

In no way am I excusing the timing of the baffling decision by Rangers either. 

In terms of the Aberdeen players let go and finding a home with us, there's no way that any of them would truly have felt that an extended spell at Pittodrie would've seen them get the minutes and ultimately development we gave them. The bigger clubs of course should do a lot better with the budget and academy they have access to, but players will simply develop in their own time and often away from the football factories that these bigger clubs operate like. 

For those in the know, can I ask if we had treated McCrorie as badly as has been suggested on here, why Rangers entrusted McCall / us with Kelly? 

How many of our own Academy graduates have left us as youth players and made a career in the senior game? 

I'm thinking David Mitchell, Jackson Longridge and Aaron Muirhead off the top of my head. Any others? 

Our academy is feeding off scraps.  The days when we could bring through a Steve Nicol or Alan McInally are long gone.  The best youth talent is hoovered up into alleged Elite Academies which simply don’t deliver.  .  Shankland spent 3 seasons at Aberdeen rattling around their academy enduring increasingly disjointed loan periods that nearly drove him out the game.  A bit of continuity, first team football and an environment in which he was wanted and valued saw an extraordinary turnaround.  Rose was nearly 21 when he came to us and had basically no first team experience .  Same thing, and now he is at Coventry and frankly, looks a better prospect than that cart horse McKenna.

The elite academy system is a crushing failure and this mess with Queens is really just collateral damage from that.

5 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Our academy is feeding off scraps.  The days when we could bring through a Steve Nicol or Alan McInally are long gone.  The best youth talent is hoovered up into alleged Elite Academies which simply don’t deliver.  .  Shankland spent 3 seasons at Aberdeen rattling around their academy enduring increasingly disjointed loan periods that nearly drove him out the game.  A bit of continuity, first team football and an environment in which he was wanted and valued saw an extraordinary turnaround.  Rose was nearly 21 when he came to us and had basically no first team experience .  Same thing, and now he is at Coventry and frankly, looks a better prospect than that cart horse McKenna.

The elite academy system is a crushing failure and this mess with Queens is really just collateral damage from that.

At face value, I can't disagree with the crux of your post but would expand things a bit further and ask those with knowledge of the subject, are we indeed losing talented local players to the "bigger" clubs and if so, what are the reasons for us being overlooked and what can the Academy and/or club do to reverse this worrying trend, if accurate. 

10 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

At face value, I can't disagree with the crux of your post but would expand things a bit further and ask those with knowledge of the subject, are we indeed losing talented local players to the "bigger" clubs and if so, what are the reasons for us being overlooked and what can the Academy and/or club do to reverse this worrying trend, if accurate. 

Basically the same argument as when we went to an “elite’ 10 team premier league in the 70s.  If we give a handful of teams all the money and power, Scottish football will soar like an eagle.  Shutting out wee clubs like Ayr was a price worth paying.  The same mentality has now been applied to youth development with elite academies now having all the power and money.  Once again, it is not delivering.  I wonder how many other Shanklands have given up on the game at 17/18/19 because they were tied to these white elephant academies but couldn’t get near a first team game.

50 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Parents find it very hard to say no to the bigger clubs when asked . Our academy is excellent but when given the choice between Ayr or an spl club the majority will chose an spl club . Hopefully as more academy players gain first team football parents will chose to stay at Ayr rather than go else where .