The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

The striker was signed initially by Mick  McCarthy who rated him think they paid a wee bit of money for him so he’s not Lamberts signing might discover the form that got him signed up and worth a chance, hope he’s better than that the last Irish player we had although that wouldn’t be hard.

11 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

I'm amazed that people actually think differently. I'm all for being positive about the Scottish game but there's no way the lower leagues are comparable.

Michael Rose doing very well by all accounts but I'm sure he'd be the first to accept the higher standards in technical play but also pace and physicality.

The product you generally get is dictated by your budget, the average wage in the English League 1 is between £1800 and £2500 apparently. Average wage. 

Ipswich's youth academy is funded by the owner to the tune of £2m a year. That's double our clubs annual turnover for the year. Perspective. 

This isn't what I've said though and the point you may be missing is that we aren't getting their first team players on loan it's a couple of young boys who aren't really anywhere near their first team, so it's certainly not a like for like comparison and quoting Sunderland, Ipswich or Portsmouth attendance stats is quite frankly completely irrelevant. In case you weren't aware there's plenty of 40 year old journeymen regularly playing in that league who couldn't lace mark Kerr's boots either currently or at any other times in their careers if you would also like to use that as a comparison.........

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

This isn't what I've said though and the point you may be missing is that we aren't getting their first team players on loan it's a couple of young boys who aren't really anywhere near their first team, so it's certainly not a like for like comparison and quoting Sunderland, Ipswich or Portsmouth attendance stats is quite frankly completely irrelevant. In case you weren't aware there's plenty of 40 year old journeymen regularly playing in that league who couldn't lace mark Kerr's boots either currently or at any other times in their careers if you would also like to use that as a comparison.........

The argument you fail to see is that players deemed on the fringes of a high end English League 1 team (in this case Ipswich's) are still likely of a better general standard than your average starter in the Scottish Championship, I can't understand you thinking differently. 

These boys may not be upto standard, time will tell, but with us shopping in the bargain basement, the overall profile of these players and where they've had their initial grounding in the game, for me is highly encouraging. 

They are only on trial so it's not like we've actually thrown 3 year deals on £3000 a week at them anyway. 😉

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

You dont half talk a lot of shite. League 1 has only one player who is 40 or over.

Edited by Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

The only 40 year old in EFL League 1 is Aaron Wilbraham of Rochdale, who recently scored against Newcastle United. 

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

The size / attendances of the club is relevant because that contributes greatly to the budget the club works to which in turn, should, I say should, bring the standard of the squad and by definition the academy of the club to the comparable standard. 

If we were bringing in a similar profile of player from say Dalbeattie (no disrespect to them) then I'd have concerns. Hopefully using this analogy explains myself a bit better. 

Ps who is the 40 year old player/s you're referring to? 

Mark Kerr couldn’t play in the League One in England. Certainly earlier in his career but not now.

There’s only one player currently playing in this league that could go and comfortably play in League One and that’s Shankland. A few of the goalies might do ok but that’s about it. It’s just a better level down South.

Where did he confirm this? 

There’s an Ipswich news forum on Twitter where he said Drinan and McGavin are up here and it will be good for them to play senior football. Think he spoke about it in a press conference as well but I can’t find it.

44 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Mark Kerr couldn’t play in the League One in England. Certainly earlier in his career but not now.

There’s only one player currently playing in this league that could go and comfortably play in League One and that’s Shankland. A few of the goalies might do ok but that’s about it. It’s just a better level down South.

There are a few but not many who could do it. There was a rumour that Dorrans might be signing for MK Dons 

48 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Worth mentioning Scott Fraser, who didnt exactly set the Championship alight, is one of the best attacking players in the EFL League One this season.

It all depends on the player.