The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

12 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

We’ve got a couple of lads on trial from Ipswich. Midfielder Brett McGavin and striker Aaron Drinan.

McGavin played for the Ipswich first team in the FA Cup and seemingly plays DM, Drinan has played in Ireland a lot i think and can apparantly play ST, LW or RW. Two rather underwhelming prospects tbh. Loans from down south usually end up being disasters for us.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/aaron-drinan/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/466106

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/brett-mcgavin/leistungsdaten/spieler/718253

16 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

I came across this tonight, former player Julian Dow wasn't particularly pleasant about his time at Ayr. 

https://www.planetfootball.com/in-depth/amazing-story-julian-dowe-career-man-utd-latvia/

That’s a name from the past!   I wonder if he’ll ever look in the mirror and realise he was the problem, not those around him.  Just another failure who thought he’d made it as s professional because he was a youth player at Man Utd.  Curious thing about that team is that it contained some smashing players -Rolling, Sharples, Traynor, George.  That he thinks he could look down on players like that when he had achieved nothing in the game speaks volumes.  Hilarious that he thought he was coming to Scotland to sign for Celtic or Rangers.  

Pretty sure the player sacked was Garry Patterson - an absolute lump they we actually paid a transfer fee to Dundee for.

23 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Pretty sure the player sacked was Garry Patterson - an absolute lump they we actually paid a transfer fee to Dundee for.

Only guy I've ever seen jump without actually leaving the ground! Alongside Gilzean we should have pummeled the opposition. 

We didn't.

Edited by paulbrucerick

1 hour ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Whilst I would love to see investment in the squad, I believe there is a potentially huge point made further up about next season's Championship being significantly weaker than normal. Perhaps it is a case of waiting to spend the money at the right time. Bringing players in now is all very well, but we are currently competing against teams like Dundee United who seem to not give a flying f**k about whether they are making a loss or not.

There's definitely an argument to say that you should spend money at the right time, I'm not sure waiting for Dundee Utd to leave the scene is going to make one iota of a difference.

If they want one of our players then they'll get them and we're both unlikely to be fishing in the same pond for arrivals either. 

There's definitely merit in waiting to see who's likely to be in the squad come the end of the window, who's in our league next season and what league we'll actually be playing in. All valid reasons to help make decisions in this window and the next one. 

We certainly can't go into February weaker than we currently are. 

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

McGavin played for the Ipswich first team in the FA Cup and seemingly plays DM, Drinan has played in Ireland a lot i think and can apparantly play ST, LW or RW. Two rather underwhelming prospects tbh. Loans from down south usually end up being disasters for us.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/aaron-drinan/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/466106

Genuine question but what loans have been disasters? I can hardly think of any in recent years...Jordan Preston would go down as a success based on goals return, can remember 2 boys from Blackpool being decent enough although we did get relegated, and vaguely remember a young Welsh striker from Cardiff or something a couple of years ago who was definitely a disaster as he played about 2 games then got punted back swiftly 

Edited by Hursty

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

Ipswich have a decent record of producing talented youngsters and there's an above average group of young Irish players at the moment as well. 

Perhaps Lambert and Kerr know each other quite well but regardless, they would certainly have spoken at length about the strengths and weaknesses of both players. 

It is just a trial as well to probably let us compare them first hand to what we have and let the players have a look at us. 

Let's give them both a chance. 

Part of the reasoning behind Kerr’s appointment was having connections out with the SPFL so it doesn’t come as that big a surprise to be linked with players like this. Hopefully they are more effective than some of the guff we’ve had from up here.

Preston, Dodd and Thomset for me were all very successful. I had Preston in my own team of the decade! Thomas obviously wasn’t so great, but hopefully if these 2 do arrive, they fall into the first category of players.

Was Thomas the one that took the huff because he wasn’t a guaranteed starter? He looked decent in the League Cup games that season then fucked off when the league games started.

The striker on trial had a good record whilst on a loan at Waterford in Ireland however didn’t score in 20 games whilst at Sutton United. If he does sign I’d hope we could loan McKenzie out somewhere as he’s not going to get playing much over the next few months.

7 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Josh Todd is apparently available on loan, would be a decent signing. Could be used in a deal which would see Forrest go the other way. Although if that was the case I’d want an 18 month deal. 

You can't make Forrest go anywhere. Of the 3 clubs in for him, I'd think Dundee would be his least likely destination. 

11 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

If we accept a bid he would probably go. 

What makes you say that?

For me, it's doubtful he'll turn down an SPL team or his last manager currently at a team much closer to home to move to the East. For a move to Partick or Livi he might even move in with his brother. 

And that's if he even leaves in January. 

5 hours ago, pandarilla said:

But you're still talking about putting money in that they won't get back?

Thats what fans do

I worked out, last year I put over £1400 in to the club, through season tickets, cup tickets, replica kit, 500 club, clothing from the shop. That is money I will never see back and I didn't spend it expecting a return. 

I am sure I am not even in the highest 10% of fans spending when you take in players sponsorship or the supporters club membership, car park pass etc. All money put in to the club based on love and enjoyment with no equity in return. Even before you take in to account away games, programs, food etc. 

I spent more last year because I bought in to what the club was doing, towards the end of the season, with the reality of losing Shankland and Rose, we find out that the budget is less than last years, so regardless of season ticket sales or shirt sales, we will have a lower standard squad. I am sure this had McCalls mind made up in the summer about his future.

There is no incentive from the club to make people part with their cash if that is not reflected in the team, we lost five guaranteed first team starters in the summer and signed two, Roscoe and Doolan. 

Last season proved that a bit of excitement and forward thinking would get fans investing more and the more they invest, the less the board will need to. But to generate that excitement and momentum, there is only one way and it is backing from the board. 

8 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Thats what fans do

I worked out, last year I put over £1400 in to the club, through season tickets, cup tickets, replica kit, 500 club, clothing from the shop. That is money I will never see back and I didn't spend it expecting a return. 

I am sure I am not even in the highest 10% of fans spending when you take in players sponsorship or the supporters club membership, car park pass etc. All money put in to the club based on love and enjoyment with no equity in return. Even before you take in to account away games, programs, food etc. 

I spent more last year because I bought in to what the club was doing, towards the end of the season, with the reality of losing Shankland and Rose, we find out that the budget is less than last years, so regardless of season ticket sales or shirt sales, we will have a lower standard squad. I am sure this had McCalls mind made up in the summer about his future.

There is no incentive from the club to make people part with their cash if that is not reflected in the team, we lost five guaranteed first team starters in the summer and signed two, Roscoe and Doolan. 

Last season proved that a bit of excitement and forward thinking would get fans investing more and the more they invest, the less the board will need to. But to generate that excitement and momentum, there is only one way and it is backing from the board. 

And neither of them start for us.