The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, AyrExile said:

It was in the papers at the start of the season the budget was being cut 

Aye I know that, I’m asking about you stating that the budget was cut due to “someone making a mistake”.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

McCall can’t complain about the budget without mentioning his own failings that contributed to the budget being cut. Auchinleck in the cup, Alloa on the last day and Stranraer on penalties were 3 games that we should’ve won had and would’ve really bolstered our budget but lost or drew in part to his own failings.

It was the whole thing of needing time to decide whether to move or not when he’d already decided beforehand to leave. I firmly believe he was touting himself for the Thistle job with him comments after we beat them at Firhill.

I’m not bothered if he tries to sign our players. There’s really only 3 that would severely weaken us and massively strengthen Thistle and I don’t think he’ll get any of them.

I hate this shit. Without wanting to jump to McCall’s defence too much, there is absolutely no way that our board had budgeted on having a run in the Scottish cup. Further to that there is no way they were expecting at the start of the season that we would finish fourth. We exceeded expectations last season and will have gotten far more prize money than anyone expected or budgeted for.

The one thing that hurt us this season was not getting further in the League Cup. However last season the game at Ibrox only got us one player in Smith, and even if you take him out of the equation I think it’s fairly obvious that our squad this season isn’t as strong as last.

It’s hardly like we pushed the boat out in January either, we made one proper signing while getting two loans in and sending two loans out.

I’m not one to criticise the board for the “lack of ambition” nonsense as I try to be realistic and it’s their money, but it’s perfectly fair to question why our budget seems to be so much less this season than last after such a good season.

I hate this shit. Without wanting to jump to McCall’s defence too much, there is absolutely no way that our board had budgeted on having a run in the Scottish cup. Further to that there is no way they were expecting at the start of the season that we would finish fourth. We exceeded expectations last season and will have gotten far more prize money than anyone expected or budgeted for.
The one thing that hurt us this season was not getting further in the League Cup. However last season the game at Ibrox only got us one player in Smith, and even if you take him out of the equation I think it’s fairly obvious that our squad this season isn’t as strong as last.
It’s hardly like we pushed the boat out in January either, we made one proper signing while getting two loans in and sending two loans out.
I’m not one to criticise the board for the “lack of ambition” nonsense as I try to be realistic and it’s their money, but it’s perfectly fair to question why our budget seems to be so much less this season than last after such a good season.

I think it’s fair to question it and Cameron has given reasons why the budget isn’t as large, whether or not that satisfies fans or not is up to the individual.

All I’m saying is McCall could’ve helped himself by not mucking up in 3 games which saw us miss out on a cash injection. That might be an easy way out for our board though.

I’d imagine there are other avenues that prize money, like the money from the Ibrox game, will go down as well as going into the player fund.

I agree however that we didn’t do enough last January although it wasn’t for lack of trying as we were linked with several players that went elsewhere. It’s why I’m not getting my hopes up too much this month in case we end up with similar.

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

McCall can’t complain about the budget without mentioning his own failings that contributed to the budget being cut. Auchinleck in the cup, Alloa on the last day and Stranraer on penalties were 3 games that we should’ve won had and would’ve really bolstered our budget but lost or drew in part to his own failings.

It was the whole thing of needing time to decide whether to move or not when he’d already decided beforehand to leave. I firmly believe he was touting himself for the Thistle job with him comments after we beat them at Firhill.

I’m not bothered if he tries to sign our players. There’s really only 3 that would severely weaken us and massively strengthen Thistle and I don’t think he’ll get any of them.

If Lachlan had sacked him after our playoff defeat I'd have applauded him, only stayed for the wage after that day, his loyalty to Lachan had dried up listening to his interview. 

Those suggesting the board didn't back McCall...

Oh Brother Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

He had the biggest financial backing since Dalziel. He had 100% control of the football side. Like in 2016-17 where he believed it sensible for us to remain part time. Only to finish bottom and be relegated. He could have been justifiably sacked then.

The first half of last season was great, there is no doubt. The League One title was great if a little squeaky bummish at the finish up.

He definitely improved us but he had taken us as far as he could and the penchant for second half season collapses had become predictable and frustrating.

He is also no longer Ayr manager. The less time spent discussing him the better. I personally hope he gets Thistle relegated.

Edited by Trogdor

If Lachlan had sacked him after our playoff defeat I'd have applauded him, only stayed for the wage after that day, his loyalty to Lachan had dried up listening to his interview. 
Only stayed for the wage?

Have you forgot the start we made to this season? f**k sake, we were playing some brilliant stuff before he left.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

Only stayed for the wage?

Have you forgot the start we made to this season? f**k sake, we were playing some brilliant stuff before he left.

That's with the benefit of hindsight, his interview at Inverness heralded the end, his underhandedness since that day is how I'll judge him going forward. 

7 minutes ago, rb123! said:

What about the boy from Ross County who was at Falkirk on loan last season, Keillor Dunn, could be a good replacement for Forrest

He’s been training with us the last 3 weeks. I’m presuming (perhaps wrongly) that if it came down to a wage we would likely be able to offer him more, but there’s maybe other considerations he needs to make 

4 minutes ago, third lanark said:

He’s been training with us the last 3 weeks. I’m presuming (perhaps wrongly) that if it came down to a wage we would likely be able to offer him more, but there’s maybe other considerations he needs to make 

Is he the lad who was homesick and wanting to move back to the central belt?

12 minutes ago, rb123! said:

In other news Dundee are after Forrest and prepared to bid to sign him this month

Would be a safe move rather than challenging if it is true that Livi are also looking at him. Might as well aim for the guaranteed higher league experience. Puts him firmly in the shop window going to Livi. 

Ffs McCall is taking everyone he wanted to sign while with us. He wanted to sign rudden and DKD while at us.

6 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

Is he the lad who was homesick and wanting to move back to the central belt?

Would be a safe move rather than challenging if it is true that Livi are also looking at him. Might as well aim for the guaranteed higher league experience. Puts him firmly in the shop window going to Livi. 

I think DKD is from England? I think you may be referring to Brian Graham who is from the central belt

10 minutes ago, third lanark said:

DKD is a strange situation and I would presume there's something not in the public domain. He's been a free agent since leaving Ross County on the day the window closed back on September 2nd citing a wish for more first team football. There's been nothing stopping Ayr, Thistle or anyone else signing him since and he certainly livened Falkirk up last season. And yet here we are in mid January and he's been clubless since and is training with Thistle who have been desperate for players for weeks when he was one of the few available even before the window opened. Has he been injured or something?