The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, Super cally said:

We do ,facing the bottom tier in Scottish football wasn't it?

It was indeed, I wont miss him using that as the benchmark.

Any time he was remotely questioned he trotted out the "Remember where we were when I got here" defence.

Dearie me! You Ayr lot really have wracked with bitterness over McCall. It isn't healthy lads. Move on.

You can criticise without being “bitter”.

But then I suppose that’s really the only patter Thistle fans have these days.

2 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Dearie me! You Ayr lot really are wracked with bitterness over McCall. It isn't healthy lads. Move on.

Thank God you're not a Daily Mail reader, otherwise we'd all be "outraged" or "erupting in fury".

Anyway, I take offence to your insinuations............

21 hours ago, HMIP said:

Adams, Kerr and Doolan will have retired.   Harvie, Forrest and Docherty won’t re-sign.  Houston, Kelly and Doohan will return to their parent clubs.  And then there will be decisions to be made on the likes of Bell, Geggan and Muirhead and whether they are good for another year - my guess is all 3 will be retained as we have plenty of jerseys to fill elsewhere.  McCowan has faded a little recently, but I wouldn’t be surprised if someone (The Jobby) offered us a bit of cash for him.
It’s a major re-build job, and I would doubt we’ll have the finances to do it in one transfer window, hence the reason we really need to make a start this month.  

It's the same for us and every other club every single season, we need to appreciate where we stand from a perspective of budgets and work to that accordingly.

We'll be no worse off next season than any other and in fact probably better off than in most over the past 2 decades as we're becoming more established in this league as opposed to the part time yo yo club that we've been for the majority of our recent history.

Players will inevitably leave (as they do every season) and we'll get replacements in, some might be utter rank and some might be "Diamonds" (no offence Airdrie) that we unearth.

We'll also continue to get Loan players in from clubs such as Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen etc and again some might impress and some might not.

McCowan will also be going nowhere unless we receive good money and a sell on clause and guys the likes of Ecrepont, McGuffie and McKenzie will hopefully be given an opportunity to step up and break through.

Anyway, let's just try and get through this season before we start worrying about what will happen next season.....................

I know it’s fairly common knowledge that he’s tapping up half the squad but it takes some brass neck to publicly declare it.

Personally think Mark Kerr needs to be strong on this and come out and tell him where to go. They’re our players and he’s clearly trying to unsettle them in a bid to help push Partick up the league.

8 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It's the same for us and every other club every single season, we need to appreciate where we stand from a perspective of budgets and work to that accordingly.

We'll be no worse off next season than any other and in fact probably better off than in most over the past 2 decades as we're becoming more established in this league as opposed to the part time yo yo club that we've been for the majority of our recent history.

Players will inevitably leave (as they do every season) and we'll get replacements in, some might be utter rank and some might be "Diamonds" (no offence Airdrie) that we unearth.

We'll also continue to get Loan players in from clubs such as Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen etc and again some might impress and some might not.

McCowan will also be going nowhere unless we receive good money and a sell on clause and guys the likes of Ecrepont, McGuffie and McKenzie will hopefully be given an opportunity to step up and break through.

Anyway, let's just try and get through this season before we start worrying about what will happen next season.....................

This is a ridiculously complacent attitude bordering on head in the sand denialism.   There is clearly a major rebuild job required for us and it needs to start now.  If we don’t, we’ll be heading back to league 1.
But in fairness, I think Kerr is well aware of the scale of the challenge we face.  

11 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Personally think Mark Kerr needs to be strong on this and come out and tell him where to go. They’re our players and he’s clearly trying to unsettle them in a bid to help push Partick up the league.

Kerr will not let any player go in January unless he has a replacement , as for them signing pre contracts he has no power what so ever 

Kerr will not let any player go in January unless he has a replacement , as for them signing pre contracts he has no power what so ever 

I don’t mean that. It’s not acceptable for McCall to talk about our players publicly and Kerr needs to look strong, come out and tell him that..

1 hour ago, HMIP said:

This is a ridiculously complacent attitude bordering on head in the sand denialism.   There is clearly a major rebuild job required for us and it needs to start now.  If we don’t, we’ll be heading back to league 1.
But in fairness, I think Kerr is well aware of the scale of the challenge we face.  

What ??  Calm down !!

First off, we can't do anything about it so I'm quite happy to put my trust in our board and management team who'll be much better informed than any of us, secondly where do we get this money from for the "rebuilding job" in January ??

Yes, we've lost Adams, Murdoch is out for the season and Kerr is looking to step down from playing and I'd firmly expect at least two or three bodies coming in to replace those mentioned, however it's a simple fact that we don't have the resources to sign lots of additional players at this point in time, nor do we need to, providing we don't lose the likes of Doc, Forrest etc in this window.

Like many have mentioned I also firmly expect to lose Harvie & Forrest in the Summer but that's the same as every other season. Last season we lost Shankland, Rose, Crawford, Smith & McDaid and thought we had lost Doohan when he returned to Celtic, as such I'd say we're actually in a better position this season given Adams  and Murdoch hardly kicked a ball and the likes of Bell & Geggan while coming to the end of their careers are seen as many as "not up to it", even now.

Doohan might return, Kelly might return, Houston may be signed but even if they're not others will replace them and another McCowan might appear from our youth team.

Remember, Morton, Queens, Dunfermline etc all have similar problems not to mention the uphill struggles of the part time sides Alloa & Arbroath.

Personally I hate the constant change in playing staff but that's the way football is nowadays and all we can do is hope we pick up the right players with the right attitude and hope they gel, if not then we could struggle, however reputations and money really do count for nothing as Falkirk found last season and Thistle are finding this season.

Que Sera, Sera............

I

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Rumours that Queens Park want Tidser. They’ve apparently got a fair bit of money to throw around.

Don't give the SRE ammunition if we get out muscled for money power by Queens Park, would be peak banter though tbh if we lost out on a player to Queens Park.

Ian McCall deserves every single bit of abuse he got on his return to Somerset Park and will continue to get in the upcoming matches. He snaked us after saying the only way he’d leave is if he is sacked, has already tapped up our club captain and has spoken/will speak with a few more. Call me bitter but I wish him nothing but the worst for the rest of his managerial career. 

On a side note if Thistle beat us in a couple of weeks he is well within his rights to give us the girfuy. 

I think we’ve now finally come to the stage where there’s no love lost between McCall and the fans.

They made it perfectly clear up at Arbroath and then when Thistle came to Ayr how they feel about McCall. It means that his charade of how difficult a decision it was to leave Ayr can be binned and everyone can move on.

I can’t really say I miss having him at Ayr tbh.
Not for me.

McCall was a fantastic manager for us and anyone who doesn't acknowledge this is a bit of a numpty.

I enjoy a wee bit of pantomime nonsense to add a bit of atmosphere but you can't take away what he achieved whilst Ayr manager. Quite simply, he transformed us from a regular league one club to a regular championship one (not an easy thing to do), and in doing so created some of the best memories I've had as an Ayr fan.

This is cock measuring nonsense.

If McCall wants to buy our players or talk to them about signing next season them he will. A public spat between us and them is childish nonsense - good for a laugh but really not important in the grand scheme of things.

Kerr needs to be quietly building strong relationships with our players, and working hard to persuade the board to find the finances to get the best ones signed up when the time comes. That's what matters, not a willy waving contest on sportsound.b

4 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think we’ve now finally come to the stage where there’s no love lost between McCall and the fans.

They made it perfectly clear up at Arbroath and then when Thistle came to Ayr how they feel about McCall. It means that his charade of how difficult a decision it was to leave Ayr can be binned and everyone can move on.

I can’t really say I miss having him at Ayr tbh.

Would you rather McCall had just come out and said that despite his success last season the board are unable to back him. In fact he could have went a step further and said someone running our finances has made an error somewhere and the budget is being cut. At the time I thought it was a gamble going to Thistle but since then our own financial picture has become clearer. He served his time with us so I don’t begrudge him a move. Where I do think he’s being a tom hunt is trying to tap up our players and his disparaging media comments. With the budget Thistle has there are plenty of players he could target without feeding on the carcass 

Ian McCall deserves every single bit of abuse he got on his return to Somerset Park and will continue to get in the upcoming matches. He snaked us after saying the only way he’d leave is if he is sacked, has already tapped up our club captain and has spoken/will speak with a few more. Call me bitter but I wish him nothing but the worst for the rest of his managerial career. 

On a side note if Thistle beat us in a couple of weeks he is well within his rights to give us the girfuy. 
If he beats us I'm imagining a run onto the pitch from him and a Devlin type roar or vigorous cap waving to the home crowd.

I vaguely remember him not being too happy at Utd leaking details of Smith's PCA and saying how it's not how things should be done etc.

If we win though I'm expecting a McArdle belly slide up the touchline toward their dugout.

3 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

In fact he could have went a step further and said someone running our finances has made an error somewhere and the budget is being cut.

Do you have some inside info here or is this just made up in your head?

Would you rather McCall had just come out and said that despite his success last season the board are unable to back him. In fact he could have went a step further and said someone running our finances has made an error somewhere and the budget is being cut. At the time I thought it was a gamble going to Thistle but since then our own financial picture has become clearer. He served his time with us so I don’t begrudge him a move. Where I do think he’s being a tom hunt is trying to tap up our players and his disparaging media comments. With the budget Thistle has there are plenty of players he could target without feeding on the carcass 

McCall can’t complain about the budget without mentioning his own failings that contributed to the budget being cut. Auchinleck in the cup, Alloa on the last day and Stranraer on penalties were 3 games that we should’ve won had and would’ve really bolstered our budget but lost or drew in part to his own failings.

It was the whole thing of needing time to decide whether to move or not when he’d already decided beforehand to leave. I firmly believe he was touting himself for the Thistle job with him comments after we beat them at Firhill.

I’m not bothered if he tries to sign our players. There’s really only 3 that would severely weaken us and massively strengthen Thistle and I don’t think he’ll get any of them.