The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

52 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

He has , but it was not him who leaked it to the public , without club consent , 

Good point. We got linked with Moore in the press. May have been interest but he ends up with an 18 month contract with Ayr.

So it is more than likely the player or their advisor leaking these stories.

There's allot more to being a captain than that. You'd have to have some influence and sway in the dressing room. 

You can all keep lying to yourselves if you like but there's some heavy revisionism going on here. 

There’s no revisionism at all.

He is a very decent Championship midfielder who’s good at breaking up attacks and has a good range of passing. However since we’ve been in the Championship he’s not been particularly useful unless he’s got 2 other midfielders around him hence why he’s been pretty good this season in the 4-3-3. He’s slow on the ball which leads to him being caught in possession and is easily wound up which leads to a lot of wild and out of control tackles.

I’d rather he stayed but out of all the players we could lose he’s not the biggest miss.

I’ve no doubt he’s good in the dressing room but McCall admitted when he gave him the captaincy that he’s not particularly vocal. I had no issue with him getting the captaincy as we’d just been relegated and he’s an absolute stand out in League 1 but it mainly given to him to get him to stay.

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

There’s no revisionism at all.

He is a very decent Championship midfielder who’s good at breaking up attacks and has a good range of passing. However since we’ve been in the Championship he’s not been particularly useful unless he’s got 2 other midfielders around him hence why he’s been pretty good this season in the 4-3-3. He’s slow on the ball which leads to him being caught in possession and is easily wound up which leads to a lot of wild and out of control tackles.

I’d rather he stayed but out of all the players we could lose he’s not the biggest miss.

I’ve no doubt he’s good in the dressing room but McCall admitted when he gave him the captaincy that he’s not particularly vocal. I had no issue with him getting the captaincy as we’d just been relegated and he’s an absolute stand out in League 1 but it mainly given to him to get him to stay.

Wait a minute, earlier on he was only a 'replaceable, solid, mid table championship' player; but now he's 'a very decent championship midfielder...good at breaking up attacks and has a good range of passing.' Come on, which one is he? 

2 minutes ago, Lord Rosebury said:

Wait a minute, earlier on he was only a 'replaceable, solid, mid table championship' player; but now he's 'a very decent championship midfielder...good at breaking up attacks and has a good range of passing.' Come on, which one is he? 

Make your own mind up. Given the unpredictable nature of the shitiness on offer in this league there's not a whole lot between both descriptions.

In short, it could be and probably is, both.

Breaking up attacks and being able to pass the ball is what I’d expect from a decent midfielder.

Both statements are the same.

40 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

No one ever does though hence why there’s little point complaining about it.

We do, as do Aberdeen, from what you hear managers say.

Ross Callachan is free to a good home if you're short on CMs.

We do, as do Aberdeen, from what you hear managers say.

Ross Callachan is free to a good home if you're short on CMs.

Does anything actually come of it though?

There were rumours we were looking at Sibbald from Livi but he seems to have forced himself back into the team recently.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

Ex-Raith?

Yup, was a regular for us last season but Jason Holt came in, and Ali McCann stepped up far quicker than anyone expected, so hes been sitting in the stands every week.

Type of player who'd thrive in this division.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Does anything actually come of it though?

There were rumours we were looking at Sibbald from Livi but he seems to have forced himself back into the team recently.

I noticed this as well as Robbie not featuring. Is Robbie injured or something? He hasn't even been in the squad in their last 3 games.

It was a few pages back but there's been a lot of revisionism about Liam Smith in this thread. The suggestion that the season was more or less over when his pre-contract with Dundee United was announced is not true at all. The league had gone, but there was a distinct possibility that Ayr would play Dundee United in the promotion playoffs. The potential for a conflict of interest was far greater in that situation than it is with Docherty now, yet Smith continued to give his all because he's a professional. As is Docherty.

Deals like this get done in the background at this time of year all the time. We knew much earlier than this that Shankland, Smith, Rose, etc. would be off at the end of last season, and their commitment wasn't called into question. That Docherty is going to Partick Thistle makes no difference; he'll continue to give his all for the rest of his time at Ayr because that's what he's contracted to do. Give him abuse at games if you want but it'll achieve precisely nothing.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yup, was a regular for us last season but Jason Holt came in, and Ali McCann stepped up far quicker than anyone expected, so hes been sitting in the stands every week.

Type of player who'd thrive in this division.

His careers clearly stalled but if we can get him fit then he's got a bit of strength and presence about him. Is he more of a holding midfielder? 

I think our location might be a disadvantage to players based in the East as well.

McCall mentioned the other week on sportsound that we were in the relegation battle with Partick. It’s pretty obvious what he has done here to try and unsettle us...

He’s obviously always been a bit of a snake but it is a very underhand thing to do to Mark Kerr who served him very well as a player at several points throughout his career.

I agree about there being a lot of revisionism here.

Doc has been one of our best players this season, although previous seasons he couldn't be relied upon and we did stand by him.

I also think he'll be much more difficult to replace than done are making out - but I hope I'm wrong.

I have no issues with booing him but folk forget this is these guys livelihoods. They have bills and families to look after and a pay rise (even if it's a relatively small one) for a decent length contract can't really be turned down.

I certainly hope he gave Kerr and the club a chance to match or make a reasonably similar offer. Surely you'd go to the boss and explain the situation. I'm not saying we should've matched the deal or anything like that but I'd be annoyed if he didn't speak to the club about this before agreeing. Especially as captain, which should now change hands.

But he'll absolutely give his all for us and we certainly can't afford to lose him in January. That's just nonsense talk (unless there's a direct replacement and the freeing of Doc's wages would help).