The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

Seems to be an Ayr United fan.

Interview with him tonight in the AP so that should give us more answers.

Would have thought the most obvious impact will be we get a new stadium and he builds Ashleigh homes where Somerset is, personally i would be for leaving Somerset to a new stadium as long as they got it right and we didn't end up with some lego shite.

Also i would hope that he's probably got a rather large cheque book with any luck, potentially exciting times ahead, however as we all know been there and heard all this in the past.

Just now, rb123! said:

Would have thought the most obvious impact will be we get a new stadium and he builds Ashleigh homes where Somerset is, personally i would be for leaving Somerset to a new stadium as long as they got it right and we didn't end up with some lego shite.

Also i would hope that he's probably got a rather large cheque book with any luck, potentially exciting times ahead, however as we all know been there and heard all this in the past.

Funnily enough, I’m not sure there is any great pressure anymore to bin Somerset.   We’ll end up with a one sided stadium anyway.  

Just now, HMIP said:

Funnily enough, I’m not sure there is any great pressure anymore to bin Somerset.   We’ll end up with a one sided stadium anyway.  

Maybe not but Somerset is a bit tired to say the least and could do with a good bit of TLC if we are to commit to it being our home for the foreseeable future

Sounds very promising, he's an Ayr supporter, he's a successful local businessman with lots of excellent contacts and according to Lachlans statement "He brings an initial financial injection for the club".

All good news from where I'm sitting...........

5 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Maybe not but Somerset is a bit tired to say the least and could do with a good bit of TLC if we are to commit to it being our home for the foreseeable future

Agreed.  A new main stand and maybe cantilever style roofs for the terracing would be just peachy!  The thought of a lonely, windswept Lego brick stand out at Heathfield depresses the hell out of me.

6 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Agreed.  A new main stand and maybe cantilever style roofs for the terracing would be just peachy!  The thought of a lonely, windswept Lego brick stand out at Heathfield depresses the hell out of me.

Yeah certainly a covered North Terracing and an improved, possibly integrated hospitality suite would go down well

3 minutes ago, HMIP said:

If I had a blank chequebook those would be my first two "upgrades" as well. Improving the match day environment is a must for attracting a new generation of fans in. I don't mind Somerset but my missus has said a few times "why would anyone want to come here". Full length main stand would be excellent to help keep the elements out. 
There is plenty of real estate on the roof space to try generate some income whether it is through solar panels or good old fashioned advertising hoardings. 

Long term we really need a proper base for our academy / training / rehab, but that will require a hell of a cash injection / upturn in fortunes to afford. A Ross County type setup with all weather facilities attached to the stadium would be nice, but I'm guessing Smith doesn't have the financial firepower of Uncle Roy. Can only dream I suppose. 

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

That being the case then I wouldn't be letting anyone leave in January. If they want they can sign a pre contract but I certainly wouldn't be letting them walk away for nothing or next to nothing while still under contract.

Even getting next to nothing has to be better than nothing, surely? And if they leave under contract you can then command sell on clauses.

Wouldve been handy if the likes of Rose goes to the English Championship for crazy money.

How are you meant to grow and/or develop as a club when the business model relating to your potentially most valuable assets involves getting said assets for free and letting them leave for free? It's stagnation at best but most likely a long lingering downward spiral.

Players of the calibre of Doohan and Kelly are unlikely to come back or be available season after season.

Edited by BukyOHare

28 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Ashleigh Construction had a turnover in excess of £60m, some of that for us would do nicely thanks, seems Kerso is going to have cash to splash next month. 

Turnover is just how much money the company brings in, it is no indication of its profitability or that of its Managing Director.

Just now, BukyOHare said:

Even getting next to nothing has to be better than nothing, surely? 

How are you meant to grow and/or develop as a club when the business model relating to your potentially most valuable assets involves getting said assets for free and letting them leave for free? It's stagnation at best but most likely a long lingering downward spiral.

Players of the calibre of Doohan and Kelly are unlikely to come back or be available season after season.

First off it makes a mockery of having a contract in the first place and secondly, as I've already mentioned, it could cost us league places which in fact would net us less cash than a small transfer fee.

Over and above this, we would be seen as soft touches and would NEVER be able to command any sort of fees for our players in the future.

It's like everything else, if some of our players are as good as we and potential suitors think they are, then bigger clubs won't risk losing out for £50k or £60k here or there..........

7 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

First off it makes a mockery of having a contract in the first place and secondly, as I've already mentioned, it could cost us league places which in fact would net us less cash than a small transfer fee.

Over and above this, we would be seen as soft touches and would NEVER be able to command any sort of fees for our players in the future.

It's like everything else, if some of our players are as good as we and potential suitors think they are, then bigger clubs won't risk losing out for £50k or £60k here or there..........

All well and good but you've failed to answer how we are meant to grow, develop and reinvest if our best players continually leave for nothing?

2 year contracts anyone?

1 year contracts and Bosman kills clubs in our position. Imagine we had managed to let Shankland, Smith, Crawford, Rose, Forrest, McCowan and Harvie, go in the middle of a 2 year contract each with a 25% sell on clause?

Edited by BukyOHare

All well and good but you've failed to answer how we are meant to grow, develop and reinvest if our best players continually leave for nothing?
2 year contracts anyone?
1 year contracts and Bosman kills clubs in our position. Imagine we had managed to let Shankland go in the middle of a 2 year contract with a 25% sell on clause?

I’m sure Kerr made a point about getting players on longer contracts to put both the fans and players at ease.

With new money looking like it could be invested by David Smith, getting our players tied down on longer deals is a possibility. However that’s relying on players wanting to sign on for that length of time.

7 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Turnover is just how much money the company brings in, it is no indication of its profitability or that of its Managing Director.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that he'll be some sort of sugar daddy who'll bankroll us to the Champions League, however what he undoubtedly is, does for me, and that's a successful local businessman who supports Ayr United and has done all his life, he's also coming on to our board with a wealth of top level managerial experience and lots of local and national contacts in the building game and council.

This is an excellent appointment for me and I honestly can't see why anyone would try and find negatives here...........

41 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Sounds very promising, he's an Ayr supporter, he's a successful local businessman with lots of excellent contacts and according to Lachlans statement "He brings an initial financial injection for the club".

All good news from where I'm sitting...........

We could announce administration and you’d manage to put a positive spin on it. 

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

I’m sure Kerr made a point about getting players on longer contracts to put both the fans and players at ease.

With new money looking like it could be invested by David Smith, getting our players tied down on longer deals is a possibility. However that’s relying on players wanting to sign on for that length of time.

It works both ways for the players though, the club's showing them a commitment and they only have to look at Murdoch's current predicament to see how a 2 year deal could have definite upside.

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting that he'll be some sort of sugar daddy who'll bankroll us to the Champions League, however what he undoubtedly is, does for me, and that's a successful local businessman who supports Ayr United and has done all his life, he's also coming on to our board with a wealth of top level managerial experience and lots of local and national contacts in the building game and council.

This is an excellent appointment for me and I honestly can't see why anyone would try and find negatives here...........

Who's finding a negative? I'm just passing on some realism that we're unlikely to be getting a cut of £60m in January.