The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

McCall does love Moore right enough. Wouldn't surprise me if true.

Depending on what we do in January he’d probably get more game time at Partick.

I doubt a partnership of Doolan and Moore will keep Partick in the league.

25 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

McCall only gave him and Jamie Adams contracts until January because of fitness reasons.

A few weeks ago I wasn’t really bothered about keeping him but he’s found a bit of form and Kerr definitely wants him to stay. McCall is a big fan of him though and he’s not the only Ayr player that he’ll have his eyes on.

The same tweet said we were looking to get Dobbie too 😂😂😂

20 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:
34 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:
Our board are tight as f**k.’

Can't compete with the wages Partick can offer, not really a matter of being tight. Then there's the McCall factor.

If we can’t compete with a small club like Thistle then we should probably just chuck ourselves in the bin. 

Keep hearing that Patrick have lined three players up who will sign in January. Not sure if these are on pre contract or will move during the window. Moore would kinda make sense as he’s not tied down to us. Partick also need a few players quickly to stay up but January is difficult to get your first picks. Would be a gamble for both teams if Moore moved on tbh

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Depending on what we do in January he’d probably get more game time at Partick.

I doubt a partnership of Doolan and Moore will keep Partick in the league.

What do you base that on?  The likelihood of us finding a better option than Moore is very low.  We know from past experience that player availability in January is a major problem and those few decent players that come available will follow the money.  One of the few strikers that will be available in January is.....Craig Moore.  

This prove your fitness approach to contracts could have burned us last year with Docherty but we got away with it because he didn’t really get back to fitness until after the transfer window so probably wasn’t in demand.  Looks to me that we won’t get away with it this year.  

Giving a short term contract to a player who was always expected to be back around October and therefore back to full fitness in time for the January window was absolute stupidity on the part of the club.  McCall will no doubt argue that we had Doolan as first choice and that no one (who hadn’t seen him play  recently) could have predicted how little impact he was going to make therefore Moore was never a big priority, but now we appear to be facing a big problem when there are other areas of the team that need strengthening,

2 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Our board are tight as f**k.’

Moore has had talks regarding staying and has been offered a very decent deal , no matter what ,there is only about another 1 club in the division who could offer more money than Thistle , not many players show loyalty now , after all Ayr have paid Moore through all those injuries i am  afraid money talks , let’s hope he is one of the loyal guys 

Edited by Robbo63

9 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Moore has had talks regarding staying and has been offered a very decent deal , no matter what ,there is only about another 1 club in the division who could offer more money than Thistle , not many players show loyalty now , after all Ayr have paid Moore through all those injuries i am  afraid money talks , let’s hope he is one of the loyal guys 

The other way of looking at is that he got injured playing for the club and we didn’t back him with a decent contract even though we had medical advice he’d be back in October.  I take the point his injury record isn’t great but it’s a 2 way street.  We were happy to short change him in the Summer, so we can hardly complain now if someone offers better terms.  I can only hope he signs, but if you’re information is correct, it seems pretty clear he is off,  most likely to Partick.  

The other consequence is that we’ll have to stick with Doolan until the end of the season and hope he can make some kind of contribution.  I suspect we’ll end up having to play McCowan through the middle as Moffat and Doolan together will never work.

What do you base that on?  The likelihood of us finding a better option than Moore is very low.  We know from past experience that player availability in January is a major problem and those few decent players that come available will follow the money.  One of the few strikers that will be available in January is.....Craig Moore.  
This prove your fitness approach to contracts could have burned us last year with Docherty but we got away with it because he didn’t really get back to fitness until after the transfer window so probably wasn’t in demand.  Looks to me that we won’t get away with it this year.  
Giving a short term contract to a player who was always expected to be back around October and therefore back to full fitness in time for the January window was absolute stupidity on the part of the club.  McCall will no doubt argue that we had Doolan as first choice and that no one (who hadn’t seen him play  recently) could have predicted how little impact he was going to make therefore Moore was never a big priority, but now we appear to be facing a big problem when there are other areas of the team that need strengthening,

It wasn’t stupidity.

Given Moore’s history of unpredictable injuries we couldn’t know for certain he’d be back in January. And even then there was no evidence that he’d make the impact he did. Offering him a 6 month deal was the correct decision as it allowed us to help him through his injury but not waste more money if he wasn’t good enough. He can’t have any complaints regarding the clubs loyalty to him.

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

It wasn’t stupidity.

Given Moore’s history of unpredictable injuries we couldn’t know for certain he’d be back in January. And even then there was no evidence that he’d make the impact he did. Offering him a 6 month deal was the correct decision as it allowed us to help him through his injury but not waste more money if he wasn’t good enough. He can’t have any complaints regarding the clubs loyalty to him.

It never occurred to McCall or anyone else that if the medical prognosis on Moore was accurate he would be coming to full fitness just in time for his contract to expire ahead of the January transfer window?  

Moore undoubtedly suffered in the shadow of Shankland who was a once in a generation Rolls Royce of a striker.  But the evidence of the last 3 or 4 seasons is that Moore is an entirely decent penalty box striker who will score goals if given half decent service.  Take a look around the Championship.  How many teams have forwards you’d be desperate to have at Ayr?  Dobbie, Shankland, Nisbet and probably Nicky Clark are about the only 4 I can think of.

That McCall is about to benefit from his own negligence makes this all the worse.

9 minutes ago, HMIP said:

It never occurred to McCall or anyone else that if the medical prognosis on Moore was accurate he would be coming to full fitness just in time for his contract to expire ahead of the January transfer window?  

Moore undoubtedly suffered in the shadow of Shankland who was a once in a generation Rolls Royce of a striker.  But the evidence of the last 3 or 4 seasons is that Moore is an entirely decent penalty box striker who will score goals if given half decent service.  Take a look around the Championship.  How many teams have forwards you’d be desperate to have at Ayr?  Dobbie, Shankland, Nisbet and probably Nicky Clark are about the only 4 I can think of.

That McCall is about to benefit from his own negligence makes this all the worse.

Or. Perhaps it was all part of the plan

2950726.main_image(1).jpg

There was no evidence last season that he was a decent striker and prior to that he had only performed in League 1. Who knows what might’ve happened if he had been fit when we got relegated?

50 minutes ago, HMIP said:

The other way of looking at is that he got injured playing for the club and we didn’t back him with a decent contract even though we had medical advice he’d be back in October.  I take the point his injury record isn’t great but it’s a 2 way street.  We were happy to short change him in the Summer, so we can hardly complain now if someone offers better terms.  I can only hope he signs, but if you’re information is correct, it seems pretty clear he is off,  most likely to Partick.  

The other consequence is that we’ll have to stick with Doolan until the end of the season and hope he can make some kind of contribution.  I suspect we’ll end up having to play McCowan through the middle as Moffat and Doolan together will never work.

You need to remember the time he was injured 2 seasons ago when we waited on him returning, he did then got injured about 3 weeks later again and was out for season , we gave him a new contract  ( whilst he was injured) with no absolute security how he would perform after recovery , the club have been very good to him over his tenure with us , many a club would have let him go when his contact was up and waited to see how he recovered , don’t agree on you point didn’t back him with a decent contract ! He got the same deal as he was on prior to his injury and one HE was happy to sign 

Edited by Robbo63

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

There was no evidence last season that he was a decent striker and prior to that he had only performed in League 1. Who knows what might’ve happened if he had been fit when we got relegated?

As if performing at League 1 level is no indicator at all.  It was no surprise that Shankland stepped up and I for one am not remotely surprised that Nisbet is scoring goals at Dunfermline despite his struggles 2 or 3 seasons back.  In any case, Moore was performing well at championship level as far back as 2013.  Maybe Shankland just spoiled us a bit and raised expectations over what a decent striker looks like.  I think back to dross like Ross Jack, Ian Gilzean and Brian Bilsland and realise there is a middle ground to be found when assessing a player’s worth.