The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

And we need them all not to be duds, which may be a tall order considering it's  his first transfer window. Hanging onto where we are now when the window opens will of course  allow us to attract a better quality of player.

I can see January being a pretty busy month for us. Ross is already away and I expect Doolan and Adams to follow. Need to get Moore tied up (hopefully on an 18 month deal) as well as bringing in a Centre back, Centre Mid and Striker. 

Would also be looking at trying to get our better players tied down for next season if possible. Harvie, Forrest, Murdoch, Docherty etc. 

And we need them all not to be duds, which may be a tall order considering it's  his first transfer window. Hanging onto where we are now when the window opens will of course  allow us to attract a better quality of player.

Not just that it’s his first window but it’s also January which makes it even harder for him to get the right guys in. Can’t believe we’re in second place and will likely have to go through a mini rebuild job in January.

On 15/11/2019 at 21:02, ayrunitedfw said:

Would rather he done it for Scotland u21’s than Ayr United to be fair. 

Not when you had £20 on a 0-0 draw at 11/1

But Yes, I get your point.

14 hours ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

For us to get top 2...

We need at the very least 1 central defender ideally 2 as Roscoe and Muirhead as a partnership will not do. 

At the very least 1 new centre midfielder as Murdoch will be out for the season and with Kerr.

And to tie down Craig Moore until the end of the season and another striker. 

The fact that we're clear 2nd in the league means they must be doing something right.

Realistically we're not going to attract anyone of a higher standing than who the likes of Dunfermline, Partick, Inverness or Dundee etc already have in those positions, however we're above them all in the league and in some cases by quite a way, so maybe we should have more of a reality check as the Scottish Championship is not the place we're likely to find perfection or guys of the standing of Godin, Bonucci, Chiellini, Van Dyk or Koulibaly.

Who knows, there may be a "hidden gem" out there but by the same token there will also be multiple diddies, especially in January................

The standard of full time central defenders in this league isn't great. There are more than a few bombscares about. Hence the reason Andy Graham strolls about like Beckenbauer and Tom O'Brien is considered one of the best central defenders in this league.

That being said we do need another central defender for the sake of cover. Adams, Muirhead & Bell are all injury prone. Whilst Roscoe is inconsistent. If Adams does the unmentionable and steps away in January we will need at least one central defender.

I wouldn't be averse to another youngster or  diamond in the rough as Wattoo suggests. However, January is the worst time to bring in players as supply is limited and demand even higher. 

Does anyone remember Kevin James starting for us in this league? *Shudder*

Kerr said in the daily record interview that he had asked the board to get Moore tied down even before he started scoring again and that Moore knows that. Hopefully that deal is done sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

The standard of full time central defenders in this league isn't great. There are more than a few bombscares about. Hence the reason Andy Graham strolls about like Beckenbauer and Tom O'Brien is considered one of the best central defenders in this league.

That being said we do need another central defender for the sake of cover. Adams, Muirhead & Bell are all injury prone. Whilst Roscoe is inconsistent. If Adams does the unmentionable and steps away in January we will need at least one central defender.

I wouldn't be averse to another youngster or  diamond in the rough as Wattoo suggests. However, January is the worst time to bring in players as supply is limited and demand even higher. 

There is an unprecedented premium on above average defenders, at all levels of the game. 

I suspect that's down to a negligence in the coaching of defensive players. It rarely happens, you might work on team shape, but in terms of working with individual players to improve their defensive attributes, I'd be surprised if any meaningful time's dedicated as much as it should be.

It's a real dying art, some would say a thankless task the way the rules of the game are going.

You think of how young Scottish players have been coached over the last 30 years or so, retain safe tidy possession of the ball and slowly but surely individual skill, in terms of off the cuff skill and ability to beat an opponent or how to defend your goal, has worked its way out of our game. The depth of quality midfielders in the National team, to an extent, is to be applauded but I think that has been to the detriment of above average central defenders and strikers.

You think even the best full backs in the world are arguably better going forward than they are defensively.

In terms of us, I'd suspect we'll be looking at someone to provide a bit of defensive depth and cover. A modern day David Kennedy utility type, if you like.

Edited by BukyOHare

6 hours ago, Trogdor said:

5 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

There is an unprecedented premium on above average defenders, at all levels of the game. 

I suspect that's down to a negligence in the coaching of defensive players. It rarely happens, you might work on team shape, but in terms of working with individual players to improve their defensive attributes, I'd be surprised if any meaningful time's dedicated as much as it should be.

It's a real dying art, some would say a thankless task the way the rules of the game are going.

You think of how young Scottish players have been coached over the last 30 years or so, retain safe tidy possession of the ball and slowly but surely individual skill, in terms of off the cuff skill and ability to beat an opponent or how to defend your goal, has worked its way out of our game. The depth of quality midfielders in the National team, to an extent, is to be applauded but I think that has been to the detriment of above average central defenders and strikers.

You think even the best full backs in the world are arguably better going forward than they are defensively.

In terms of us, I'd suspect we'll be looking at someone to provide a bit of defensive depth and cover. A modern day David Kennedy utility type, if you like.

Can't argue with any of these posts but I think the other thing that's been missed is that quite a few of the recent goals we've conceded haven't really been the fault of our defence but more individual errors by our midfield in trying to play out from the back.

Off the top of my head, I can think of three errors by Doc which resulted in goals being scored by Dunfermline, Morton & QOS which were almost all identical where he dwelt on the ball on the edge of the box, got it stuck between his feet, was subsequently robbed and bang, goal is scored by the opposition. Funnily enough Robbie did the exact same thing on a few occasions last season, so again, I'd just put it down to our playing style which I've already stated I wouldn't change, so for me it's just a case of accepting these things will inevitably happen if you want to play the passing game from the back.

8 hours ago, rb123! said:

Lee Miller seems to be a contender for the Falkirk job, might scupper Kerrs plans to bring him to Somerset in january if that rumour ever had any truth.

Big Yogi has predictably throw an his hat in for it too.

Given that I’m not convinced Lee Miller is either experienced enough as a coach or required as a player by us I hope he’s a front runner for the Falkirk gig.

On 18/11/2019 at 09:50, Hazbart said:

Big Yogi has predictably throw an his hat in for it too.

Given that I’m not convinced Lee Miller is either experienced enough as a coach or required as a player by us I hope he’s a front runner for the Falkirk gig.

That's Miller been announced at Falkirk.

6 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

Interim, but given they've both quit their jobs to do it you would suspect it is theirs to lose. 

Yes and if they don't get it, it will mean that Falkirk have been hopeless and they'll have failed to get promotion, as such why would anyone want to employ them ??

7 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

No great loss for us. Replacing Doolan with Miller would have been totally pointless. 

I'm thinking it was more from a coaching perspective, although would probably have been registered as a player.

6 hours ago, WATTOO said:

I'm thinking it was more from a coaching perspective, although would probably have been registered as a player.

Yeah I would imagine that would’ve been the plan.

Like I said I’m not sold on Lee Miller’s coaching ability not that I really know if he’s good or bad but he’s never really looked like an intelligent player.

I’d much rather we brought in a John Hendry/Sandy Stewart style old head to support our inexperienced management team.

3 hours ago, Hazbart said:

I’d much rather we brought in a John Hendry/Sandy Stewart style old head to support our inexperienced management

I would rather any money available ALL went on strengthening our playing squad , these guys are not inexperienced in football coaching , they know what they want and the squad have all bought in to their new training regime, IMO I believe they will bring success to us during their tenure  

I would rather any money available ALL went on strengthening our playing squad , these guys are not inexperienced in football coaching , they know what they want and the squad have all bought in to their new training regime, IMO I believe they will bring success to us during their tenure  
Interesting to see if there is money to strengthen the squad and to what extent, not including the like for like players who will need replacing.