The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

I'll have a pint of what you're having mate.

Things are on an upward trajectory and long may they be so, but to describe it as one of our most exciting and successful spells in over 100 years of existence is fanciful in the extreme.

If we ever get into the top flight and stay there, I'll agree with you. Enjoy it but there are long, winding and bumpy roads ahead.

I'm 45 and this is the best position we've been in during my lifetime.

I can't really remember Ayr being in the top division, was it 1978 the last time? then I'd say this has to be seen for what it is and that's one of the most successful in most of the current supports lifetimes.

I'd go even further by saying that we're playing arguably the best football since I've been an Ayr fan, we're scoring lots of goals and we're watching young exciting talents who could all go on to be huge stars in our game.

Just for once can we give credit where it's due as opposed to actively hunting for negativity and our next disaster, which I'm sure will come at some point, so please let's just enjoy these good times before we find ourselves back in league 1 with guys like Scott McLaughlin & Partick Thistle youths on loan as our superstar players, who knows, maybe then we'll look back on this time as indeed being "one of our most exciting and successful spells in our history"......................

3 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

I've you've ever had a loved one in a coma, you'd soon realise just how insensitive your attempt at raising a giggle is. 

Hope you never watch a stand up comic, I’d imagine you’d have steam coming out your ears.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

I'm 45 and this is the best position we've been in during my lifetime.

I can't really remember Ayr being in the top division, was it 1978 the last time? then I'd say this has to be seen for what it is and that's one of the most successful in most of the current supports lifetimes.

I'd go even further by saying that we're playing arguably the best football since I've been an Ayr fan, we're scoring lots of goals and we're watching young exciting talents who could all go on to be huge stars in our game.

Just for once can we give credit where it's due as opposed to actively hunting for negativity and our next disaster, which I'm sure will come at some point, so please let's just enjoy these good times before we find ourselves back in league 1 with guys like Scott McLaughlin & Partick Thistle youths on loan as our superstar players, who knows, maybe then we'll look back on this time as indeed being "one of our most exciting and successful spells in our history"......................

to be fair we are on a par now with the the Tarannt Teale Walker team which is as close to the top league we have been in my life time

Surely Tarrant and Walker weren't at the club at the same time? Walker only played 98/99 before moving to Alloa when we tried to penny pinch on a new deal and Tarrant came in on loan the next season when the plan to rely on playing John Bradford with Hurst spectacularly failed.

I think the 99/00 team was the most disappointing we've ever had, the victories over Kilmarnock and Motherwell excepted. 

2 hours ago, Iain said:

Surely Tarrant and Walker weren't at the club at the same time? Walker only played 98/99 before moving to Alloa when we tried to penny pinch on a new deal and Tarrant came in on loan the next season when the plan to rely on playing John Bradford with Hurst spectacularly failed.

I think the 99/00 team was the most disappointing we've ever had, the victories over Kilmarnock and Motherwell excepted. 

Favourite attacking line for me in the past was 

Sludden  , Walker , Templeton and  Cowell 

Edited by Robbo63

One too many last night meant Hurst, teale and walker

After promotion, the club failed to back the manager with the money to improve the team. Our two star strikers still managed to finish the season on something like15 & 17 goals. Not bad for players playing at a team who in terms of league position were on par with the team down the bottom of our current league.

DL’s team was much closer to winning things than the current side . To be fair they didn’t really play like a team and was more a collection of well paid individuals. The current team is the best I have seen that are playing together as a team and have a system. You could argue the team with Sludden and Walker were more exciting to watch but that was at a lower level. Some of those guys were very talented but had parts of their game missing which meant they couldnt step up a level 

38 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

DL’s team was much closer to winning things than the current side . To be fair they didn’t really play like a team and was more a collection of well paid individuals. The current team is the best I have seen that are playing together as a team and have a system. You could argue the team with Sludden and Walker were more exciting to watch but that was at a lower level. Some of those guys were very talented but had parts of their game missing which meant they couldnt step up a level 

I'd agree with all of that, I loved watching Walker, Sludden, Templeton & Bryce and then later the one and only Duncan George was my all time favourite but we were always striving for mid table mediocrity and constantly flirting with relegation.

The Dalziel era teams were full of big names and classy players whether it was Pat McGinlay, John Davies or Glynn Hurst, Andy Walker, Yogi Hughes or the big bucks paid to Clydebank for Gary Teale. We then flashed the cash and signed the prolific higher league partnership of Annand & Grady but as you say it was all a bit false and never really felt like a long term plan or building the club from the bottom.

Having all the French boys was also a great time (whoever though a former French international and Captain of Monaco would have signed for Ayr) but we also had our fair share of slaughterings in that era as well (I particularly remember being 4-0 down at H/T at Dens which was going on 10).

Depending on your age, everyone will have their own great memories, and again a fair share of not so great, but ultimately we've all stuck by our club through it all so I think with some of the dross we've had to suffer in the more recent years we really should enjoy this team while we've got the chance as who knows what the future will bring..............

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Depending on your age, everyone will have their own great memories,

Watch out early next year for a poll to help club produce a new product !! Looking for Top 3 Managers and Top 3 players in every position from 1-11

1 hour ago, homsey85 said:

Any idea when Steven bell, jamie adams and frank ross will be back fit?

The match previews are always vague with injury’s and never mention any timescales for return?

I think Bell is back for today. Math preview says:

Mark Kerr, Frank Ross, Jamie Adams, Kris Doolan and Andy Murdoch are out with injuries. Andy Geggan is suspended