The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

42 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

If Inverness are still a thing come the summer I'd be interested to find out how their colts get on at Fort William. 
I'm not suggesting sending 9 players to Whitletts but totally agree it would be a good option for 2 or 3 who need to harden up a little, the club could easily keep a close eye on them. If it helps Whitletts move up a league or two over time then even better. Troon are another good option, where we obviously already have an in. 

We currently have players at Cumnock, Largs, Irvine Vics and Lugar.

33 minutes ago, RedEd said:

I know a few guys who watch Largs and I think it was a CH that I was told looked a pretty good prospect ?

I see they also signed Stuart Faulds permanently from us.

20 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I know a few guys who watch Largs and I think it was a CH that I was told looked a pretty good prospect ?

I see they also signed Stuart Faulds permanently from us.

That would be Ross Love. Regular for the reserves this season.

1 hour ago, RedEd said:

To be applauded but equally having two or three at the same club, if they were playing regularly together, could build up good understandings between them and allow them to hopefully push on each other's progression and improvement.

I appreciate that not every club would be willing or able to give up two or three starting positions in their team every week, but if the youngsters are good enough and not costing anything there's surely benefits for both parties.

I'm less bothered about getting our players to junior clubs where most already go and more bothered about our youths playing for real football teams in league one and two. 

Exactly

There’s no reason why we shouldn’t be trying to send guys like Ross Love, Liam Miller, Mark McKenzie or Michael Hewitt to L2 teams. Leon Murphy seems to be doing pretty well with Stranraer and hopefully we’ll see more of him next season.

Has McCowan kicked on hugely in the past 6 months ?

The only reason I'm asking is that straight off he's come in this season and stood out as one of our best players which makes me wonder if we should maybe have used him more last season ?

The first time I saw him was a 20 min cameo at Bellsdale and although against lesser opposition he did make such an impact that we were all talking about him after the game.

When you think we brought in Cadden and Miller in January but had McCowan in the background, it just makes you wonder if we should perhaps have introduced him quicker than we actually did ??

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

I'm less bothered about getting our players to junior clubs where most already go and more bothered about our youths playing for real football teams in league one and two. 

There'll be players who would benefit at a particular stage of their career more from a spell in the juniors than stepping up to the seniors. "Real football" 😂😂😂 careful we don't get above our station.

I would say that if we have anyone ready to play regularly,which surely what a loan spell is all about, in League One then he'd no doubt be knocking on the door to be in the match day squad / starting eleven. Craig McGuffie being a prime example.

I still believe a full time team in a small provincial town should have more developed links not only with the town's only junior team, but with clubs at boys club and amateur level as well.

Even if it's sending out some coaches for a few sessions, some hand out of old kit or equipment or getting kids in for soccer schools, half time matches on the pitch or as ball boys.

There's always a bigger picture that I'm not convinced is seen quickly enough, if at all.

Just now, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

Now that we know Partick and ICT are shifting their home league games on November 16th to a Tuesday night due to the lure of the caramel, we should surely now get Friday night TV games announced very soon.

I hope so. I’m trying to plan weekends around games and it’s annoying waiting to see what fixtures may be changed 

still shocked nobody picked up our game v Partick to show to a TV audience who love a storyline attached to football 

1 minute ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I hope so. I’m trying to plan weekends around games and it’s annoying waiting to see what fixtures may be changed 

still shocked nobody picked up our game v Partick to show to a TV audience who love a storyline attached to football 

Me too, what is also annoying is there is no date for when they're announcing the TV games. As fans we're completely in the dark. 

1 hour ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

Me too, what is also annoying is there is no date for when they're announcing the TV games. As fans we're completely in the dark. 

I know, it’s pathetic. The Scottish PL (and Dundee derby) ones were announced a few weeks ago but no sign of the bush league BBC Scotland ones 

2 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Personally I like the Fri night games, but I understand they’re far from ideal for supporters and away fans who have to travel a distance 

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy watching our opponents play on TV on a Friday night, however from a purely selfish perspective I would much rather go to a match on a Saturday afternoon and I also believe it has an adverse effect on our attendances (certainly the away fans) when we play on the Friday night.

The odd midweek / Friday game is fine, I quite like being at Somerset under the floodlights. Last year we were unfortunate that success attracts cameras, so we had more than our fair share. Hopefully this season it will be split a little more evenly.