The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

26 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

Back to football! Hopefully Craig Moore is fit soon I think if he's fully fit he could thrive in the 433 we are playing vat the moment.

Was that in a Russian accent ?

6 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

It’s beginning to annoy me the way McCall has went about things. It wouldn’t have suprised me if him and that twat Colin Weir were in cahoots about what would happen when Caldwell was ousted. It definitely sounds like he was keeping his options open and now hoping it would all go tits up at Thistle so he could return and be given a war chest by Weir. Hope the plan backfires for them and they do a Falkirk 

Don’t be kidded , McCall knew last Tuesday he was going to Partick , that night on radio he mentioned Particks financial situation , and then reading Gary Caldwell’s interview in Evening Times last night , he stated that he spoke with Partick board on Tuesday afternoon and everything was fine then on Wednesday morning he got a text to meet football director and was then dismissed, IMO that’s because McCall has agreed in principle to take over , if he thinks that he struggled to make the decision that’s total rubbish , he knew he was going 

Edited by Robbo63

3 hours ago, rb123! said:

Interesting what McCall does with Harkins at Thistle, presume he's injured at the moment as I don't recall him playing for them this season.

3 hours ago, WATTOO said:

I'm sure he came on against United at Firhill. Maybe the fact that he's fat and lazy has hindered his playing time ??

Hasn't played since about April because of injury.

Looked finished when he did play last season anyway.

9 hours ago, WATTOO said:

I'm sorry but have Rangers and Celtic loaned players to Ian McCall or Ayr United ??

I'm pretty sure it's Ayr United and if anyone seriously believes that they'll recall players who are settled and playing excellent football for a team at the top of the league to be sent to a team in disarray at the bottom of the league, well, what can I say, silly season has definitely arrived !!!

I don’t recall many of these quality youth loan players coming when Roberts , Reid or any of the other previous incumbents were in charge.  These clubs seem to have a link with McCall and trust him to do right by the players. It’s also telling they choose to keep sending more players down. A bit of an assumption  to think both our form and Particks will be constant until year end. A lot can change between now and January and don’t think it’s a given the circumstances of these loan players wont change either 

2 hours ago, Robbo63 said:

Don’t be kidded , McCall knew last Tuesday he was going to Partick , that night on radio he mentioned Particks financial situation , and then reading Gary Caldwell’s interview in Evening Times last night , he stated that he spoke with Partick board on Tuesday afternoon and everything was fine then on Wednesday morning he got a text to meet football director and was then dismissed, IMO that’s because McCall has agreed in principle to take over , if he thinks that he struggled to make the decision that’s total rubbish , he knew he was going 

Archibald has also confirmed that it was McCall that contacted him about the assistant manager role.  Since his role in the proposed new set up was being openly touted on Saturday, it indicates to me that all the talk on Sunday of McCall’s decision being on a knife edge was total tosh (sorry Voice of Reason!).  In the end, I don’t really care.  The timing is certainly awful, but if he didn’t want to be Ayr manager anymore, it’s for the best he goes.  

Pointing the finger at Cameron also seems a bit of a nonsense.   Whatever he may have been saying publicly about his undying loyalty to Ayr and his debt to Cameron personally,  it seems that McCall had privately insisted on a contract that allowed him to walk away at any time with buttons for us in compensation.  Take from that what you will.

6 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Pointing the finger at Cameron also seems a bit of a nonsense.   Whatever he may have been saying publicly about his undying loyalty to Ayr and his debt to Cameron personally,  it seems that McCall had privately insisted on a contract that allowed him to walk away at any time with buttons for us in compensation.  Take from that what you will.

Does anybody know how much we are lightly to receive for McCall and Scally form Thistle ? (ballpark figure) ..........

McCall is now history like Roberts before him , we move on , talk should all now be about the current management team and squad , leave the speculation about new manager to the press and bookies , Ayr fans should now be totally focused on what we have and not what we had as it’s away now 

31 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

I don’t recall many of these quality youth loan players coming when Roberts , Reid or any of the other previous incumbents were in charge.  These clubs seem to have a link with McCall and trust him to do right by the players. It’s also telling they choose to keep sending more players down. A bit of an assumption  to think both our form and Particks will be constant until year end. A lot can change between now and January and don’t think it’s a given the circumstances of these loan players wont change either 

The fact that we’re a full time championship team is probably helping.  Our record with loan signings is a bit more patchy than recent history suggests.  Doohan and Kelly have been excellent, but there has also been duds like McKenna, McCrorie, Miller and that dunderhead keeper from Wolves.  I don’t disagree though that a manager with plenty of contacts is important.  With Lennon in charge at Celtic, Partick will likely have first choice of their loan players.  

The fact that we’re a full time championship team is probably helping.  Our record with loan signings is a bit more patchy than recent history suggests.  Doohan and Kelly have been excellent, but there has also been duds like McKenna, McCrorie, Miller and that dunderhead keeper from Wolves.  I don’t disagree though that a manager with plenty of contacts is important.  With Lennon in charge at Celtic, Partick will likely have first choice of their loan players.  

McCrorie was generally very good for us.

McCrorie was good. In fact he was probably good enough that I’d have had him back the following season.

I think it’s safe to say when McCall does him homework on a loan signing it generally works out. Ruddy, Cadden and Miller were all very last minute because we were desperate for a player in that position and we had no one else to bring in.

It's hard to figure out McCall. Maybe we are giving him more credit than he is due with regards to surreptitiously courting Thistle for some time now while still trotting out the 'Lachlan/Ayr gave me a chance and I have no intention of leaving this club' routine.

His comments in the summer about the lack of budget, losing players and being unable to build on last year had me thinking that, if anything, he would have retired from the game rather than gone to another club. But Lachlan publicly stating it was in McCall's contract that he was allowed to speak to other clubs shows that he had ambitions elsewhere. And that's fine - he probably feels he has given Ayr five years and done about as much as he can, he's resurrected his career and is in demand as a result. He lives near Maryhill, probably has lots of contacts there and has been offered a much improved deal with a budget to build a better squad than he could do at Ayr. I can't blame him for taking the job. The nature of his departure at this stage of the season leaves us in a bit of a fix, but that's not McCall's problem.

Now that he's left Ayr, i have no concern in how he gets on at Thistle. He swapped a safe, comfortable job for a higher paying, risky one. It may pay off, it may not. Who knows? Who cares really? All that matters is how Ayr United progress from here.

Hopefully Lachlan and the board will make the best appointment and take their time to get it right. We all know LC wants to sell but he seems to have the club's best interests at heart. He could probably do himself a favour and avoid the social media engagement with fans. Just makes him look unprofessional.

Anyway, here's hoping the new manager continues the upward trajectory we've been on the last couple of years.

Interesting comment from Lachlan on Twitter.

He doesn’t rule out hiring a manager from another team but says if we do so, “it will be respectful and we won't be contacting the manager to arrange a deal before even speaking to the club. We will also not go public about it.”

Dig at Thistle?

There are signs of the stages of grief, Shock, upset, resentment and then acceptance. I think a lot of people are at the resentment phase just now. 

McCall was a very good manager for Ayr, maybe even close rivalling Macleod (third time) in terms of achievement. He is the first manager in my lifetime who has left for another job, baring in mind most have never worked in senior football again since leaving Ayr. 

I think that in 3-5 years time, he will be remembered fondly.