The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

9 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Also can't believe McCall was on a rolling monthly basis contract, what a mickey mouse institution we really must be behind the scenes still. No wonder he left.

Was it not McCall himself? that asked for that type of contract when he first joined the club? I still can't believe 5 years on Ayr didn't get him on a longer contract.

Was it not McCall himself? that asked for that type of contract when he first joined the club? I still can't believe 5 years on Ayr didn't get him on a longer contract.
I'm sure the club announced he had signed a two year deal either the first season in the Championship or the season after

4 minutes ago, YankJourno said:

Check out his LinkedIn profile. He has his UEFA A licence making him one of the most qualified coaches in Scotland! 

Sure, but if he wanted to be a coach would he not be doing some coaching? The role he has might be the area he prefers to work in?

28 minutes ago, Iain said:

That was a long time ago though. I'm struggling to think of many times a manager has left a club and the next manager was an internal candidate and it was a huge success. Maybe Walter Smith at the old Rangers?

19 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Obviously going way, way back but that’s how Liverpool used to operate. One guy left, and the assistant would step up and take his place.

Also see Jim Goodwin at Alloa, Neil Lennon at Celtic and even Partick Thistle with both McNamara and Archibald being promoted from within.

McNamara leaving for United and Archibald taking over may well have been what actually got us promoted. Jackie’s teams were dreadful away from home and Archie fixed it almost instantly.

It could just be the case that Stewart keeps things almost completely the same but makes a couple of minor tweaks which actually make you better.

19 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

McNamara leaving for United and Archibald taking over may well have been what actually got us promoted. Jackie’s teams were dreadful away from home and Archie fixed it almost instantly.

It could just be the case that Stewart keeps things almost completely the same but makes a couple of minor tweaks which actually make you better.

I'll be standing at the halfway line with my boxers at my ankles if anyone can make us better than the last few weeks.

Edited by ayrmad

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

That’s the deal that he probably wanted.

IMO a club should never agree to that from the manager, yeah he's a good manager but beginning to sound as if he was running more of the show behind the scenes that those in power at the top of the club. Makes it a bit more concerning for the new manager because i don't think anyone will be willing to take as much of a 'hands on' approach as McCall did behind the scenes.

Makes sense now why his new contract extension was never made public, would have looked too fishy being a rolling contract.

IMO a club should never agree to that from the manager, yeah he's a good manager but beginning to sound as if he was running more of the show behind the scenes that those in power at the top of the club. Makes it a bit more concerning for the new manager because i don't think anyone will be willing to take as much of a 'hands on' approach as McCall did behind the scenes.
Makes sense now why his new contract extension was never made public, would have looked too fishy being a rolling contract.

Of course he was running the club. With Cameron in America he pretty much had full control over everything besides getting more money. You can’t say it didn’t work though. He took us FT when he’d have been the only one at the club with FT football experience.

That’ll be the thing that we’ll probably never replace. Because he’d done it before with Clydebank he was comfortable running the club, we won’t get someone like that again.

2 hours ago, ayrmad said:
2 hours ago, Nightmare said:

I'll be standing at the halfway line with my boxers at my ankles if anyone can make us better than the last few weeks.

Edited 2 hours ago by ayrmad

I have a feeling SS will indeed improve thing as the injured players come back in . He ,I think will be quicker to change things if not working whither that be shape or people on the pitch . The silver lining to all this is we have got two decent sized wages out the door . We should be very careful how we spend that money , yes SS and Kerr will deserve a rise but we still need a replacement for Murdoch and we could do with some faces at the window . I am hugely optimistic that this group bolstered by some fresh guys coming back in can continue to improve this season . The 4-3-3 seems to be designed for this team . Two really tough games coming up against long ball mobs , can we prevail ????