The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I wish Mcall the best whatever he decides. 5 years as a manager at any club is a long time. The board doesn't seem to match his ambition either. Lachlan moaning about crowds is incredible. The club do very little around the town to get new fans to come to Somerset.

Wonder how the takeover talks are going he mentioned a while back?

Going by what Cameron has said McCall must be on a pretty mickey mouse contract, sounds like a clause was in it to let him to speak to any other interested clubs.
I'm sure he's on a monthly rolling contract... So there's nothing the club could do if someone wanted to speak to him.

Hope not. Think we need to establish ourselves in this division for another year or two yet. Would rather give it to someone with a profile not too dissimilar to McCall when he joined. Experienced manager with previous success but needing to prove themselves again and clean up their cv  

Mourinho it is then [emoji849]

Seriously though this is a good point.

If McCall does leave then hopefully they will advertise the post and go through interviews with interested candidates like they done when they brought him to the club rather than a rushed appointment.

6 minutes ago, Ayrforce1 said:

Mourinho it is then emoji849.png

Seriously though this is a good point.

If McCall does leave then hopefully they will advertise the post and go through interviews with interested candidates like they done when they brought him to the club rather than a rushed appointment.

Or a the very least phone Neil Lennon and ask for his blessing 

Perhaps a spell in the top league might help our home crowds instead of spending the last thirty years fannying about the 2nd and 3rd tier of Scottish football. Most of the teams we face in the Championship have managed this. Or, like QOS for example, they have gubbed an OF side and been in Europe in the not so distant past.
We need genuine achievements before Lachlan and co can moan about crowd sizes.
Maybe we could get to the group stages of the Champions League as well?

I'm 38 and in my lifetime we've not really got close to the top league. The idea that stay at home fans are waiting for that is ludicrous.

Last year was the best I've seen.

I take your point about the club doing more to publicise things but ultimately we are the club we are. I reckon if you really looked into it we'd be using similar marketing techniques to other clubs our size. I'm sure there's always more that could be done but I'd be surprised if there's an easy fix that we're missing.

The thing is we’re pulling crowds bigger than the likes of Morton and QOS that have been established here for years and not far off Partick and Inverness who have both been top 6 in the top league recently. Rome wasn’t built in a day, it will take a good 5-10 years at this level and the top end of this league to start pulling the crowds we really want.

I've mentioned this before but in my lifetime we're actually nearer the top end of our support levels right at this moment. Don't get me wrong, we could always magic up an extra 5,000 - 7,000 if it was a huge cup match or a match against our county rivals, however the "norm" for a league match in this division would be around the 1,800 - 2,200 home fans.

I also remember in years gone by that the likes of Morton would bring an extra 400 - 500 compared with now and teams like Falkirk, Dunfermline, Motherwell would bring down 700 to 800 with St Mirren and Partick virtually filling the away end.

Actually Ayr are pretty middle of the road in terms of support levels where Morton, Raith, Airdrie, QOS etc have all lost the high hundreds to mid thousands from their supports, where on the other hand Falkirk, Motherwell and Dunfermline all appear to have stuck an extra 1,000 - 2,000 on their supports.

Who knows ?

Still, life will go on with or without McCall...........

24 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Maybe we could get to the group stages of the Champions League as well?

I'm 38 and in my lifetime we've not really got close to the top league. The idea that stay at home fans are waiting for that is ludicrous.

Last year was the best I've seen.

I take your point about the club doing more to publicise things but ultimately we are the club we are. I reckon if you really looked into it we'd be using similar marketing techniques to other clubs our size. I'm sure there's always more that could be done but I'd be surprised if there's an easy fix that we're missing.

Yeah? Well I'm 46! Joking aside my point is we've not had a sustained period of being successful at a high level to build up a decent hardcore of support compared to the likes of Falkirk, Dunfermline and Partick. 

It may well be that even if we got promoted people of Ayrshire wouldn't show up at Somerset but we won't know until it happens. Personally I have no affection to the town of Ayr and its people these days, its all about the football club. I get jealous of other towns that get right behind their football team although that tends to be in other countries, not Scotland I think due due to the OF poison.

I think I'm basically crapping it in case days like yesterday (which I unfortunately missed) come to a shuddering halt.

I think there’s an upper target of 3000 regular home fans that would be achievable within 5 years if we continue in the same vein. Bizarrely I think that a promotion too early and subsequent sinking would be detrimental to that. Another good couple of years of winning games regularly with great football would do wonders.

I’ve seen people moan that we are not emulating how other teams at our level market themselves...genuinely interested as to what they are doing?

The club does need to engage with the town more, cup runs are always good for raising profile but we never seem to maintain the good feeling we get from them.

I think what draws crowds is a combination of winning, big games and progress. Numbers would stagnate even if we were surviving in the top division over a period of time. People will always want the club to 'take the next step'.

The one thing that club need to to do is use social media better the guys at AU Media and AUTV do a great job but apart from the odd interview and team news on a Friday what other info do we get look at the job that Motherwell for example do the with social media, the young ones don't by the Podt they get all their info from facebook, twitter and Instagram even a midweek interview with a player or the manager would give some insight to what's going on, half the time from the postmatch interview on a Saturday night until the next Saturday you wouldn't know that a team pushing for promotion was in the town.

31 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

The one thing that club need to to do is use social media better the guys at AU Media and AUTV do a great job but apart from the odd interview and team news on a Friday what other info do we get look at the job that Motherwell for example do the with social media, the young ones don't by the Podt they get all their info from facebook, twitter and Instagram even a midweek interview with a player or the manager would give some insight to what's going on, half the time from the postmatch interview on a Saturday night until the next Saturday you wouldn't know that a team pushing for promotion was in the town.

This was my point on Ally, he was a master at working the media and getting Ayr talked about and In fairness to McCall he's been the best we've had in recent years but he just doesn't have that infectious "wow" factor that Ally had, but then again not many do..................

A Thistle supporting friend of mine has just informed me that Mcall has signed a 3 year deal, and will be unveilled tomorrow.

He's mates with a couple of players and backroom staff at Firhill. I sincerely hope he is wrong.