The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 minutes ago, harry94 said:

How was he actually being used? Was he roaming a lot or pretty much just instructed to play on one wing.

One feature I've noticed which could be an explanation of some sort is that our wide players get a lot of freedom when on the attack, they end up all over the pitch.

Normally wide left, but he did swap about quite often.

What I would say is that Somerset is quite a tight pitch and most of Declans best games were probably away from home. He was outstanding against the Arabs at Tannadice last season and also was pretty good at East End against Dunfermline when given lots of space.

In fairness, he did fine for us but was just very frustrating as you always felt he had much more to give.

If you can unlock his full potential then there's no doubt that you'll have a top, top player on your hands.

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Normally wide left, but he did swap about quite often.

What I would say is that Somerset is quite a tight pitch and most of Declans best games were probably away from home. He was outstanding against the Arabs at Tannadice last season and also was pretty good at East End against Dunfermline when given lots of space.

In fairness, he did fine for us but was just very frustrating as you always felt he had much more to give.

If you can unlock his full potential then there's no doubt that you'll have a top, top player on your hands.

I would agree about the pitch width being a factor. You only need to think back to Auchinleck (shudder) where he was anonymous.

2 minutes ago, paulbrucerick said:

I would agree about the pitch width being a factor. You only need to think back to Auchinleck (shudder) where he was anonymous.

I've tried to wipe that one from the memory banks !!!

Ross Doohan been called up to the under 21 squad for games on Thursday 5th and Tuesday 10th. Presume that means it'll be Hare Reid in goals for Wrexham. Harvie and Kelly been called up aswell, hmm wouldn't fancy going to Wrexham without those three.

Ross Doohan been called up to the under 21 squad for games on Thursday 5th and Tuesday 10th. Presume that means it'll be Hare Reid in goals for Wrexham. Harvie and Kelly been called up aswell, hmm wouldn't fancy going to Wrexham without those three.

We could probably get it moved if we wanted to, although it would likely be midweek.

7 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Hare-Reid needs a run out anyway, just in case Doohan ends up suspended or injured and we've plenty of cover in midfield for Kelly. Unsure if Ferguson can play LB but can't think who our cover would be otherwise ??

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Hare-Reid needs a run out anyway, just in case Doohan ends up suspended or injured and we've plenty of cover in midfield for Kelly. Unsure if Ferguson can play LB but can't think who our cover would be otherwise ??

Finn Ecrepont for LB, McCall will probably say we've got plenty of cover for those 3 guys missing but Wrexham will be tough and shouldn't be underestimated, last thing we want is going down there and getting a thrashing.  Personally i hope we do well in this tournament and think we might actually have a good chance of going far in, maybe even dream of the final lol.

3 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Finn Ecrepont for LB, McCall will probably say we've got plenty of cover for those 3 guys missing but Wrexham will be tough and shouldn't be underestimated, last thing we want is going down there and getting a thrashing.  Personally i hope we do well in this tournament and think we might actually have a good chance of going far in, maybe even dream of the final lol.

I'm intending on going but would actually quite like to see both Ecrepont and Hare-Reid given a game. If nothing else it will be the acid test to see if they're both going to be good enough and they need to play sometime.

I watched Rennes last night and they had a 16 year old playing against PSG in their 2-1 win and he actually set up one of the goals. The boy wasn't even that big physically, however I'm a great believer that if you're good enough then you should be given the chance.

16 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I'm a great believer that if you're good enough then you should be given the chance.

100%. How many of us experts-behind-keyboards would have predicted that Luke McCowan would be doing what he's now doing for us in the Championship? Some young players blossom when given the chance, others take time while others just freeze. Teams like Ayr United need to be making the 'readiness' decisions about young players as soon as possible and this seems like an ideal opportunity, tough though it will be in North Wales. Not seen much of Hare-Reid or Ecrepont but I think McCall will know by now having seen them day-in day-out in training - it's up to them and their mental strength in coming into the first team.  I well remember a youth player at Ayr telling me that 'coming into the first team means you need to look better than some of the existing players and not just hope to survive among them'. That player was a guy called Stevie Nicol. He was decent. 

9 minutes ago, Jazzar said:

100%. How many of us experts-behind-keyboards would have predicted that Luke McCowan would be doing what he's now doing for us in the Championship? Some young players blossom when given the chance, others take time while others just freeze. Teams like Ayr United need to be making the 'readiness' decisions about young players as soon as possible and this seems like an ideal opportunity, tough though it will be in North Wales. Not seen much of Hare-Reid or Ecrepont but I think McCall will know by now having seen them day-in day-out in training - it's up to them and their mental strength in coming into the first team.  I well remember a youth player at Ayr telling me that 'coming into the first team means you need to look better than some of the existing players and not just hope to survive among them'. That player was a guy called Stevie Nicol. He was decent. 

Yes, he ended up with a pretty decent career !!

I know there's high hopes for Ecrepont but we should definitely be blooding him when we can as the sooner he gets first team experience the more he'll learn towards making that step up.

I know football is a cuthroat business nowadays but I'm a great believer of bringing the young guys in to winning teams and even bringing them on and giving them 10 mins or so when (if) we're a couple of goals up is probably the best time to do it or alternatively use the likes of the Tunnocks cup as that ideal opportunity to see them in action when the pressure isn't the same.

Another problem nowadays is that we have such big first team squads that even finding a place on the bench can be difficult, especially when we've got the likes of Kerr, Ferguson, Moore, Muirhead, Doolan, McGuffie, Adams & Ross all in reserve and thinking they should be playing.

Maybe it's not such a bad problem to have, but there's no doubt it does suppress the talent coming through in a way that it didn't years ago, still as we said, if you're good enough then you deserve a chance, irrespective of your age or experience............

3 hours ago, WATTOO said:

I've never seen Hare-Reid play but I've read that he usually plays well in the reserve games. If Doohan is unavailable then Hare-Reid deserves a chance to play in that match.

Ferguson can play LB and Ecrepont is a natural in that position. We should be able to still field a decent team even with players missing due to call-ups.

McCall has stated already that Hare-Reid will be our keeper next season so he shouldn't be a problem for Wrexham , Ferguson should be give as much game time at right and left back this season as possible to see if he can develop for next season as Harvie will be off and Geggan will be another year older .

6 hours ago, rb123! said:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4620505/john-mcglynn-raith-rovers-interview/

Can always rely on Raith Rovers continuing to dish out the banter.

Absolute p***k of a man for the last 3 min so of that interview. Hope Burntisland lynch him this week after his comments about that game 

42 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Seeing as we’re not postponing the Wrexham game due to the Under 21 calls up, did we only do it last season because we were in the title hunt at that time? 

That was a league game against another team with call-ups, so it likely suited both. Probably not an option against a team which plays 46 league games, plus FA Cup and FA Trophy.  As for last season's Challenge Cup, we took the precaution of being knocked out before the September international weekend.