The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

27 minutes ago, rb123! said:

If people don't think Shankland is going to get abuse when he returns to Somerset then they're daft, think he'll get pelters from a lot of our fans in the SRE. God forbid he scores a goal in front of them and celebrates, cause a full scale riot.

I’m going to be hypocritical here but I think it will be a bit more justified in Shankland’s case given the nature of his move to Dundee United.

17 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Shankland joining DU was a bit like the woman you love leaving you which is bad enough but then hooking up with your best friendemoji20.png
I won’t shout abuse at him but I do feel let down.

Couldn’t have put it better myself. Tbh I’d think more of him if he’d joined k*ll*e, at least then he’d have went to a bigger league. Joining Dundee U was an absolute sickener🤢 

I won't boo Shankland when he comes back but I will be disappointed If he celebrates wildly after scoring against us for two reasons 1 it's a bit off given if we hadn't given him a shot he may be playing juniors at this stage and 2 he didn't really go mad when scoring for us, the full Shankland thing is put into perspective that Rose insisted that we got a sell on fee from Coventry as a thanks for helping his development and Shankland gave us a nice twitter post then signed for one of our rivals in the same league.

1 minute ago, 1nickydevlin said:

I believe shankland went to Dundee Utd as it was his best offer .Maybe his only offer .I certainly wouldn't think he will celebrate if and when he scores against us .I think it will be hard for him walking out at Somerset with his new team .

I don't think he'll find it hard at all. He spent a couple of years at you doing his job. That's all. Canny see him celebrating if he scores though, purely because that's the way it is now. I don't think it'll be down to any sense of loyalty.

I’m not McDaids biggest fan but he was part of a squad that for 2 seasons were successful and great to watch and didn’t really do anything to warrant any abuse.

However I find it really wrong that someone said they would boo and shout abuse at Robbie Crawford, a local guy, who came through our youth system, player over 200 games for us and left with 2 promotions and a league medal who finally moved on after 2 or 3 summers of deciding to stay instead of progressing his career. Regardless of how good you thought he was he was a fantastic servant to the club.

I remember shouting at Moffat when he returned to Somerset with Dunfermline. Not proud of it now but was devastated when he left us for a rival, especially after our support during his ban for gambling. Hope I’ve learned and won’t do the same to Shankland but it’ll still hurt to see him in that horrible orange strip!

40 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Shankland won’t celebrate at Somerset against us because United won’t score against us 😶

If only I could believe that .

As for him celebrating wildly if/when he scores against us . I remember the Morton fans giving him pelters in the Betfred opener last summer . The boy  promptly banged in a hat trick ,but never one gave it to the Morton fans once .

Think I heard someone refer to McDaid as a 'mongrel' though could see who it was but really sad folk still carry on like that. I can get a wee pantomime boo but really don't get the ill will. If you got offered a job with more money good chance you would take it and he wasn't always getting start at Ayr either. Decent players leaving the club is a product of the club's success. The club needs to consolidate in the division for couple years and get into position where we can offer key players 3 year contracts otherwise we can't blame them for leaving for more money or security. 

Can we not still have the atmosphere of singing and getting behind the team without the nonsense that some of the idiots bring in. Just maybe not all clubs security have a vandetta against Ayr fans maybe the common cause is those that are more interested in getting bevied than representing their town and supporting their team in the right way, 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’m not McDaids biggest fan but he was part of a squad that for 2 seasons were successful and great to watch and didn’t really do anything to warrant any abuse.

However I find it really wrong that someone said they would boo and shout abuse at Robbie Crawford, a local guy, who came through our youth system, player over 200 games for us and left with 2 promotions and a league medal who finally moved on after 2 or 3 summers of deciding to stay instead of progressing his career. Regardless of how good you thought he was he was a fantastic servant to the club.

Okay Robbie. 🤪

Okay Robbie. 🤪

Why do none of you c***s rate me ??

In all seriousness though you won’t find many talented academy players sticking around to make over 200 appearances at this level. We’ve already had Crawford and I think Forrest has surpassed the 200 mark. Hopefully McGuffie and McCowan stick around long enough to do the same.

The lads that have moved on over the summer don't deserve abuse, they gave their all week in week out and we couldn't have asked anymore of them. There has only been a select few  ex players who I have felt deserved any form of abuse in terms of ragging them without being personal. Tiffoney being one for obvious reasons. Alot of ex players who were clearly jobbers normally get the old juniors bound routine. 
When it gets to people being racially abused, we as a fan base should be at a stage where we are able to self police this. 

On the stewarding front, Dundee are notorious for hiring thugs to do security. It is something that should be addressed as one day it could turn very nasty up there. As someone previously mentioned on a visit a few years ago there was almost a riot in our stand caused by the heavy handed approach. I seem to remember an elderly man being targeted for standing when there were 5 rows behind him all standing which sparked the snowball in the stand. 

2 hours ago, Hawk89 said:

The lads that have moved on over the summer don't deserve abuse, they gave their all week in week out and we couldn't have asked anymore of them. There has only been a select few  ex players who I have felt deserved any form of abuse in terms of ragging them without being personal. Tiffoney being one for obvious reasons. Alot of ex players who were clearly jobbers normally get the old juniors bound routine. 
When it gets to people being racially abused, we as a fan base should be at a stage where we are able to self police this. 

On the stewarding front, Dundee are notorious for hiring thugs to do security. It is something that should be addressed as one day it could turn very nasty up there. As someone previously mentioned on a visit a few years ago there was almost a riot in our stand caused by the heavy handed approach. I seem to remember an elderly man being targeted for standing when there were 5 rows behind him all standing which sparked the snowball in the stand. 

Agree with the lot of this.

What I have noticed in the last few years is that good natured "banter" appears to have disappeared almost completely from our game.

Off the top of my head I can recall Davie Cooper having a great laugh with the Ayr fans when playing for both Motherwell and Clydebank and Andy Rhodes at Dunfermline another one who enjoyed a good laugh with the Somerset road end.

Everyone is too bloody serious nowadays and many don't appear to have a sense of humour, not to mention the types who pick every word apart and try and make something out of nothing or take things completely out of context in order to play the "taking offence" card.

That being said, I still wouldn't abuse or boo any of our former players unless they fully deserved it, a la Tiffoney as mentioned above.............

16 hours ago, grazza said:

Think I heard someone refer to McDaid as a 'mongrel' though could see who it was but really sad folk still carry on like that. I can get a wee pantomime boo but really don't get the ill will. If you got offered a job with more money good chance you would take it and he wasn't always getting start at Ayr either. Decent players leaving the club is a product of the club's success. The club needs to consolidate in the division for couple years and get into position where we can offer key players 3 year contracts otherwise we can't blame them for leaving for more money or security. 

Can we not still have the atmosphere of singing and getting behind the team without the nonsense that some of the idiots bring in. Just maybe not all clubs security have a vandetta against Ayr fans maybe the common cause is those that are more interested in getting bevied than representing their town and supporting their team in the right way, 

The word they actually used was worse, but sounded like mongrel. Won't take much imagination to work out what.

You could smell the entitlement off the folk giving Crawford and McDaid abuse. Both were inconsistent last season, yet got moves higher up the food chain that weren't 'deserved'. I doubt Liam Smith will receive any booing next month - and nor should he - because he 'earned' his move off the back of a good season. That Crawford contributed more than anyone during the second half of 2014/15 to keep us in League 1, and that both were indispensable in our league win in 2017/18, are irrelevant, because football fans have short memories and can't understand that sometimes, for whatever reason, you just won't see the best of a player. It doesn't mean they weren't trying. That we weren't seeing the best of two clearly talented players was reason enough for them both to move on - never mind the flak they both (Crawford especially) took on a regular basis - but that won't satisfy the bloodthirst of fans who demand that a player finishes on a high before they get a good move. Watch the same thing happen to Daniel Harvie if he gets a move next summer.

Also, anyone even considering booing Shankland is an arsehole, probably votes for the Conservatives, and is an embarrassment to be associated with.