The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

I can and will, just like I have completely written off GPS distance measuring systems in Golf as being completely useless to the individual as that's another of my major bugbears (and I do have evidence to back that one up).

You are one of the biggest yer da’s on the forum. Refusing to even look at statistics as part of singing new players is one of the worst yet though. Should every signing just be made purely on Ian McCall’s gut instinct?

Anyway, to get back to happier chat,

Was anyone else reminded about a front three of Teale, Walker & Hurst on Saturday when watching Forrest, Moffat and McCowan ??

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

You are one of the biggest yer da’s on the forum. Refusing to even look at statistics as part of singing new players is one of the worst yet though. Should every signing just be made purely on Ian McCall’s gut instinct?

Yes SON, along with a bit of scouting and background checks of course.

12 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

You can't write off statistics entirely like this.

No-one is talking about a moneyball type experiment - we're just talking about using relevant data to improve the club.

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

I can and will, just like I have completely written off GPS distance measuring systems in Golf as being completely useless to the individual as that's another of my major bugbears (and I do have evidence to back that one up).

Brentford use a mixture of both and as a club have progressed massively under their new chairman with (relative to their league) limited resources. If Ayr could get to a similar operating model of bringing in young players and selling them on I'd be delighted. Obviously it is something McCall / Cameron are seriously looking at and trying to achieve but it will take time.  

1 minute ago, Hawk89 said:

Brentford use a mixture of both and as a club have progressed massively under their new chairman with (relative to their league) limited resources. If Ayr could get to a similar operating model of bringing in young players and selling them on I'd be delighted. Obviously it is something McCall / Cameron are seriously looking at and trying to achieve but it will take time.  

Maybe we should bring back the exercise bikes on the touchline, remember them ???

#cuttingedge

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Maybe we should bring back the exercise bikes on the touchline, remember them ???

#cuttingedge

They were a tremendous addition, gave us that champions league vibe under the floodlights midweek. The lack of cone's ala' Hillcoat in the warmup is also worrying. 

8 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

They were a tremendous addition, gave us that champions league vibe under the floodlights midweek. The lack of cone's ala' Hillcoat in the warmup is also worrying. 

Yes, you always had the added advantage of being able to wear the cone on your head and run about pretending you were wizbit.

Them were the days indeed...........

£20 for Under 12s which is an exceptional price , if they were to pay for each game individually it would cost £108 , 18 league games at £6 per game , for an under 12 to pay into all Dundee home games it’s an astonishing £180 , a no brainier , great opportunity for all fans with kids under 12 to get online or into store and buy a panda pal ticket , monies worth even if they only attend a 1/4 of the games 

Why would an U/12 Dundee supporter pay to get into every home game when they can get a season ticket for £1?

56 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

Do you know if it is being looked into?

Anyway, Brentford are a fantastic model to use in this example. A club with a stadium of 12,000 competing against teams with stadiums 3 times that and more than holding their own. They get young hungry players and sell them on when the price is right. Neal Maupay the latest one likely to be sold soon for around £20m.

I was at their final home game of last season and spoke with a couple of their team who are used to identify a depth chart of possible new signings from all over non league / lower leagues of England and the lower tiers of Europe by using a mixture of statistical analysis and scouting.

Fascinating stuff and no reason why it couldn't be used, adapted and implemented for a lower league Scottish team with aspirations to make achievable and steady progress.

All at the same time trying to compete against teams with bigger crowds and budgets.

It could be done.

Edited by BukyOHare

57 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

😂😂😂

I see the club have posted a statement regarding the turnstile situation on Sat. Seems a combination of not enough operators, one becoming unwell and a technical issue made it the mess that it was for some people. 
Was it just a mess at the North terrace entrance?

There was no queue in the shop at kick off and no queue at the turnstile across the road.

3 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Not  that it’s any concern to us, but I saw that Killie had problems with their ticket scanners yesterday resulting in thousands of Rangers fans not in the ground by kick off.  With this and the issues our scanners have at not working at times, why can’t the turnstile operator not just rip the stub off the ticket until a technical problem can be rectified? Would make sense going forward rather than have people miss kick off as has happened at both the Falkirk and Morton game this season. 

Our scanners were not the big issue on Saturday , most of it was down to operator errors , this is being actioned  this week , a number of operators were scanning ticket twice thus making it invalid as it thought it had already been used , other issue on Saturday was that 4 operators failed to turn up for work , hard to replace as they gave no prior warning , club only found out at opening time as they did not arrive

Edited by Robbo63

I had no problems buying my ticket on my phone or entering the ground, the whole process still took as long I usually spend entering for the whole season, can only imagine the rage if my ticket was cancelled and all the nonsense that no doubt followed.

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

Do you know if it is being looked into?

Anyway, Brentford are a fantastic model to use in this example. A club with a stadium of 12,000 competing against teams with stadiums 3 times that and more than holding their own. They get young hungry players and sell them on when the price is right. Neal Maupay the latest one likely to be sold soon for around £20m.

I was at their final home game of last season and spoke with a couple of their team who are used to identify a depth chart of possible new signings from all over non league / lower leagues of England and the lower tiers of Europe by using a mixture of statistical analysis and scouting.

Fascinating stuff and no reason why it couldn't be used, adapted and implemented for a lower league Scottish team with aspirations to make achievable and steady progress.

All at the same time trying to compete against teams with bigger crowds and budgets.

It could be done.

Aye, £20m players are all well and good with your fancy stats, but... but... can’t we just stick with GUT INSTINCT like the good old days, eh? 

5 hours ago, ayrmad said:

Why would we not use stats if they were available and we were in a position to use them.

Because "yer da" says it's nonsense son............