The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

I don’t think anyone has advocated playing that midfield.  But based on the games so far, Docherty and Murdoch should be first choice in the middle of the park.  There’s actually a strong argument at the moment with the players we have for a 5 man midfield so Kerr might yet have a role to play - he is clearly not mobile enough anymore to play as a midfield 2.  Kelly might kick on, but is way too raw and inexperienced at the moment to be relied on in the centre of midfield, though he might work as part of a central 3.  I’ve no idea what Ross has to offer, but it better be a lot given what I’ve seen so far.   

When reality dawns that we are in a relegation scrap, the dream of attacking football where we give away cheap goals might have to be parked.

Although many don't like facing facts, the bottom line is that with our support and our budget and our recent history, we're realistically going to be involved in a "relegation scrap" more often than not.

Last season was one of the most successful in our history and to think that we'll be up there vying to win the league regularly is unfortunately just a flight of fantasy.

That being said, we're more than capable of holding our own with 2 part time clubs and teams similar to ourselves such as Morton & QOS and I for one want to watch the likes of Kelly, Ross, Forrest, McCowan and McGuffie developing as footballers as opposed to cramming our team full of defence minded one dimensional types, who, while trying their best, are either in the twilight of their careers or are extremely limited when it comes to creativity and inspiration, as such, I firmly believe that we should stick to our principles and continue to play in the attractive attacking manner that Ayr Utd has been known for throughout the years, otherwise we risk not only losing games but also lots more of our fans...........

Although many don't like facing facts, the bottom line is that with our support and our budget and our recent history, we're realistically going to be involved in a "relegation scrap" more often than not.
Last season was one of the most successful in our history and to think that we'll be up there vying to win the league regularly is unfortunately just a flight of fantasy.
That being said, we're more than capable of holding our own with 2 part time clubs and teams similar to ourselves such as Morton & QOS and I for one want to watch the likes of Kelly, Ross, Forrest, McCowan and McGuffie developing as footballers as opposed to cramming our team full of defence minded one dimensional types, who, while trying their best, are either in the twilight of their careers or are extremely limited when it comes to creativity and inspiration, as such, I firmly believe that we should stick to our principles and continue to play in the attractive attacking manner that Ayr Utd has been known for throughout the years, otherwise we risk not only losing games but also lots more of our fans...........

I get what you’re saying and whilst lining up with those young guys can be an exciting proposition, playing free flowing attacking isn’t always possible over the winter months when pitches are in dire conditions. We’ve got to be able to mix it up and play a bit uglier when needed.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

I get what you’re saying and whilst lining up with those young guys can be an exciting proposition, playing free flowing attacking isn’t always possible over the winter months when pitches are in dire conditions. We’ve got to be able to mix it up and play a bit uglier when needed.

Yes, this is true as we found out last year !!

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

100% correct ......

The lad Kelly has class written all over him ,we must find a way to get him in the middle of the pitch ,because I reckon he'll score 10+ goals this season if we do ! If that means two minders in the middle with him so be it ..
Just doc as a minder, with two from Kelly, Murdoch, and Kerr in front. Options on the wings, and one of the strikers up front to link the attacking threats.

6 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Just doc as a minder, with two from Kelly, Murdoch, and Kerr in front. Options on the wings, and one of the strikers up front to link the attacking threats.

Docherty

Geggan            Murdoch or Adams           McCowan or Ross

Kelly

Doolan or Moffat

I think Saturday showed that we’re still missing a physical presence in midfield. None of Kerr, Murdoch, Docherty or Kelly are going to physically impose themselves and if some no mark like Ryan Thomson can bully our midfield what are Championship standard midfielders going to do to us?

I don’t think it’s the worst idea in the world to stick one of Bell or Adams in front of the defence to act as an enforcer type. If we play 5 across the midfield then their immobility won’t be as exposed as normal.

Something like this,

Doohan

Geggan
Muirhead
Roscoe
Harvie

Bell

McCowan
Murdoch
Kerr
Forrest

Doolan

Bench;
Hate-Reid, Ferguson, Adams, Kelly, Docherty, McGuffie, Moffat

I hate to point this out, however the only guy we've lost from our Midfield is Crawford and he wasn't exactly known as the "Iron man".

I think it's more a case of what we do that's the issue. If we can be the ones retaining the ball and forcing the play (like most of last season) then we should be letting the other teams be the ones worrying about us playing around them, rather than us being the ones worrying about being bullied.

Ok, we don't have Shankland, however we do have lots of pace and trickery up top in McCowan, McGuffie, Ross & Forrest complimented by the quality and class of Moffat. I'm also hopeful that Doolan will settle in and be a big player for us too.

Whatever happens, we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that we've not even played our first league match and already there's some on here writing off our entire season and half of our playing squad which quite frankly is just complete and utter stupidity of the highest order...........

Weve got loads of piano players but no one to roll up their sleeves and carry it in . You don’t win a league solely on pace and trickery . Its a couple of hammer throwers we need . Wheres big Adams .

4 hours ago, WATTOO said:

I hate to point this out, however the only guy we've lost from our Midfield is Crawford and he wasn't exactly known as the "Iron man".

I think it's more a case of what we do that's the issue. If we can be the ones retaining the ball and forcing the play (like most of last season) then we should be letting the other teams be the ones worrying about us playing around them, rather than us being the ones worrying about being bullied.

Ok, we don't have Shankland, however we do have lots of pace and trickery up top in McCowan, McGuffie, Ross & Forrest complimented by the quality and class of Moffat. I'm also hopeful that Doolan will settle in and be a big player for us too.

Whatever happens, we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that we've not even played our first league match and already there's some on here writing off our entire season and half of our playing squad which quite frankly is just complete and utter stupidity of the highest order...........

Also worth pointing out the teams we have played have been bigger physically than us. When Kelly adapts he will be a fantastic signing

2 hours ago, DeStevie said:

Also worth pointing out the teams we have played have been bigger physically than us. When Kelly adapts he will be a fantastic signing

Problem is most of the teams we play this season will be bigger than us. I’m not advocating becoming hammer throwers but we could do with 2/3 more physical players who don’t spend half the season injured.

I'm not sure how much Kelly can adapt unless he sprouts a few inches and gains a few stone quickly. We are definitely one of the shorter teams in the league and have been for a while. This will become more apparent once we get into winter

McCall will meet with the board this week to see about getting more funds. He's now saying a defender is the number 1 priority. He's also took full responsibility for Saturdays result. 

Right back I take it? I thought Ferguson was ok on Saturday but if he thinks that’s the main priority he either doesn’t rate Ferguson or Geggan will be out for longer. Or both.

20 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

I think we could do with a CB more than a RB Geggan Muirhead and Ferguson can all play RB but we only have 2 proper CBs in Muirhead and Roscoe as much as Bell and Adams have done great they are converted central midfielders

I don't think a 20 year old centre half would help us much at the moment . That's if we are still talking about loans still .

2 minutes ago, railwayend said:

I don't think a 20 year old centre half would help us much at the moment . That's if we are still talking about loans still .

Correct , I think we could try Muirhead, Roscoe and Bell playing in front of them as the holding midfielder thus giving us some height and toughness only issue is they are all not very mobile 

McCall will meet with the board this week to see about getting more funds. He's now saying a defender is the number 1 priority. He's also took full responsibility for Saturdays result. 
That's an indictment on Roscoe - if he's admitting that we need another CB.

I've not seen enough of him to make up my mind (and fully admit that I'm not a great judge of centre backs).