The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

29 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I'd even lay some blame for both Stranraer goals at Doohan's door, both corners very similar, to the back post and within the 6 yard box, the ball's travelled so far the keeper surely has to claim that or punch it clear. Very indecisive for me.

Reading the posts on here post match are something else though, we're relegated already, we're doomed. Come on now, there'll in all likelihood, be a drop off from last season, and the truths somewhere in the middle.

Trust in the club, trust in Mccall and the nucleus of last season's team. Mid table will do us nicely.

I agree budgeting for cup runs, if that has happened, is unwise. It used to always be in days gone past, that these were seen as a bit of a bonus.

I would still be hopeful of one player being added before the window shuts as well.

The nucleus of last season’s team is gone.  It’s not just the players that have left.  Kerr is a year older and has been ineffective for months.  Geggan clearly has a debilitating problem with his calf that prevents him playing 2 games in a row.  Bell balanced Rose’s inexperience and Rose balanced Bell’s lack of pace - now that partnership has broken up, we appear to have a real problem as all of our options at centre back look slow.  Roscoe might develop, but we should remember it took Rose 2 solid years and 40+ games of erratic inconsistency to become the player that went to Coventry.  That people are pinning hopes on Adams who was dogmeat at championship level last time round as well as being injury prone speaks volumes.

i have to say im slightly puzzled about some of the comments on Kelly.  His free kick was exceptional, but otherwise, he was hardly in the game and was particularly poor when moved more central.

3 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

The nucleus of last season’s team is gone.  

The headliners have gone but the nucleus remains, a year older or not, you can dress that up whatever way you want.

It might not be the headline grabbing swashbucklers from last season but there's more than one way to be an efficient, effective and functioning team in the Scottish leagues.

Some of the play in the 1st half, from the highlights granted, looked fine.

Mid table, I tell you. 

I read someone apportioning some blame to Doohan for the goals. I don't think that argument holds tbh.

Whether the goalie opts to come off his line to clear it or not the defender should be challenging for the header. In both instances the same defender wasn't.

Had the goalie went for it and the attacker still got the ball I expect the same people would be blaming the goalie for not staying on his line.

Goalies aren't supermen and when the defense can't do the basics they are left totally exposed.

I read someone apportioning some blame to Doohan for the goals. I don't think that argument holds tbh.
Whether the goalie opts to come off his line to clear it or not the defender should be challenging for the header. In both instances the same defender wasn't.
Had the goalie went for it and the attacker still got the ball I expect the same people would be blaming the goalie for not staying on his line.
Goalies aren't supermen and when the defense can't do the basics they are left totally exposed.
For a keeper his size he, at times, looks weak with a crossed ball. In saying that against Falkirk he clutched a few late on (maybe a confidence thing after the penalty save).

Surely to f**k we can work on the corners thing. Full time training - and that has to be our priority. Teams will f**k us over if we don't get it sorted.

I think as it is we have to play five in midfield with either moff or doolan up front on their own. That sounds negative but it doesn't have to be. We've got young, attacking legs in there but it's all about getting the right blend.

We were lucky against Falkirk, and by all accounts Stranraer got what they deserved yesterday.

A good hard week in training and we'll see how the real stuff stats next Saturday.

20 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

If the ball travels that far from a corner and lands within the 6 yard box, not once but twice, it's not unreasonable to expect your keeper to come for it. That's all I'm saying.

Yes the defending on both was poor, undoubtedly, but a strong, commanding and decisive decision might have got one or both away.

Doohan pulled off some great saves yesterday stopping it from being 3 or 4, as for crosses he usually has no problem coming for them and is as safe a pair of hands as we've had.

Kelly looks good but still young like McCowan, both will have a steep learning curve this season  being their first  proper season. A few times yesterday he was guilty of wayward passes and being pushed off the ball easily, although he often did try immediately win it back. Think it's unfair to be expecting that much from them this season.

If we're relying on Adams this season we really are in  trouble, given his  injury record last couple of seasons. Geggan can't be relied upon, Roscoe is a work in progress, doubts over whether Ferguson is  up to this level.

I don't think yesterdays performance will have much bearing on next Saturday's performance, but the affect of it,with missing out on the money  (like the two games before it) will undoubtedly have one over the season.

3 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

As much as the second half was emoji90.png but this was a thing of beauty

Saw the player tweeting about it too. Beat and out the cup but I scored a goal. Too many players with this attitude now.

Beaut strike to be fair.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

Saw the player tweeting about it too. Beat and out the cup but I scored a goal. Too many players with this attitude now.

Beaut strike to be fair.

17 year old boy scoring his first senior goal. I get what you’re saying, but I’ll no come down on him for it. I bet you a few old pros back in the day would have done the same it Twitter was about.

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

If the ball travels that far from a corner and lands within the 6 yard box, not once but twice, it's not unreasonable to expect your keeper to come for it. That's all I'm saying.

Yes the defending on both was poor, undoubtedly, but a strong, commanding and decisive decision might have got one or both away.

bad mistake for your first goal from Stranraer defender.

Despite some of the posts on here over the last week, Stranraer were NEVER going to be any pushovers. After the 1st half most would have been quite content, however a poor 2nd half display by most of the team coupled with being being bullied by our League 1 opponents suddenly has everyone reaching for the samurai sword and getting ready to end it all. Surely a bit of an overreaction ??

I'm also not buying the fact that we'll be cannon fodder this season and I for one am certainly not running scared of the likes of Arbroath, Alloa, QOS and even the mighty Greenock Morton !! Not to mention that the big spending Dundee clubs have hardly been setting the heather alight either.

Let's face it, we've just brought in a handful of new players who've only played a couple of times together, it's way too early to be writing anyone off or writing systems off etc.

There's also been talk about some of our new signings "not up to it", and we're going to get horsed by Morton etc, however using that same logic Cadden has been one of their best players so far, yet how many of us here would have been "ecstatic" to see him back at Somerset ?? Underwhelmed perhaps ?

The bottom line is that we're out and people are still hurting, however had we won that penalty shoot out we'd have been in the next round and everything in the garden would have been rosie.

It really just shows how fine the margins are between success and failure and less than 2 weeks back there were many waxing lyrical about our display at Livingston and many livvy fans themselves were impressed with us and were fully expecting us to have another great season on the back of that performance.

As I say, it's time for a bit of perspective, we were out battled and outplayed by Stranraer in yesterday's second half, but to then write off the whole of the season before it even begins is sheer lunacy of the highest level and not an opinion that I can ever share I'm afraid..........

5 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

I'd even lay some blame for both Stranraer goals at Doohan's door, both corners very similar, to the back post and within the 6 yard box, the ball's travelled so far the keeper surely has to claim that or punch it clear. Very indecisive for me.

Reading the posts on here post match are something else though, we're relegated already, we're doomed. Come on now, there'll in all likelihood, be a drop off from last season, and the truths somewhere in the middle.

Trust in the club, trust in Mccall and the nucleus of last season's team. Mid table will do us nicely.

I agree budgeting for cup runs, if that has happened, is unwise. It used to always be in days gone past, that these were seen as a bit of a bonus.

I would still be hopeful of one player being added before the window shuts as well.

Doohan has to come thru a ruck of players to get anywhere near the ball there was no way he was getting anywhere near them. Roscoe is inexperienced lost his man both times will learn from it. Muirhead had he being playing would have done better 

With the squad we have IMO this is our best line up harsh on Moff but him and Doolan don't work together and Doolan gives a wee bit more physical presence maybe Frank Ross can could come in but I haven't seen enough of him yet to form an opinion that he's better than Forrest or McCowan.Screenshot_2019-07-27-22-05-32.jpeg

Also so much for Frank Ross getting minutes at the weekend. Heard on Saturday Forrest has fallen out with McCall after being hooked last week at half time, apparently been brewing for a while now. However may be hearsay. Just don’t see him starting more often than not with McCalls hard on for players out of position. 

ETA - McCall can’t plead poverty for players considering his poor management has cost the club over a quarter of a million in 7 months. Punching above our weight etc is all well and good, but a defeat to a junior club, and draws against a relegation frightened Alloa and League 1 Stranraer has cost us dearly.

Edited by callum-ayr