The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

5 minutes ago, Hursty said:

I'm the 'happiest clapper' going up until now - but that's the first game i've been to this season and I really feel that we might go down.  That second half was horrific.   

No chance of going down but if the two part time teams weren’t in the league I think it would be likely 

Wouldn't surprise me if Arbroath stick around mid table  till the end of the year, have a feeling they will have a decent first half to the season.

Not sure about Doolan yet,needs a few more games to see, although the fact he was considered done at Partick doesn't instil much confidence. Our attacking 2nd half today was pretty brutal, a few times  crosses were whipped in and nobody attacked them, not that we've really got the height to, and their keeper was rarely troubled, bar one effort from  Forrest  I think.

9 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

No chance of going down but if the two part time teams weren’t in the league I think it would be likely 

The part time teams will be better than the part time team that drew with us today and really should have won comfortably. 

Thought team selection today was poor, we should have started with the team that finished against Falkirk except Moffat for McGuffie , thought we were out muscled throughout the game and feel that Bell and Muirhead are a stronger partnership, convinced they would not have lost the 2 goals as Muirhead attacks the ball , Roscoe looked a bit lightweight , as a few have already said midfield missed Kerr’s passing today 

I’ll admit that the second half showing would result in relegation, if we play like that most weeks.

However there’s been a few shocks in the League Cup so far this season. East Fife turned over Dundee United, Edinburgh beat Dunfermline and St Johnstone have had defeats against Forfar and Montrose.

The financial implications mean this is a pretty bad result for the club but I’m fairly confident we’ve got the players to stay up. It’s all about finding the right system to get the best out of them. That seems to have been the problem throughout the League Cup so far.

4 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Thought team selection today was poor, we should have started with the team that finished against Falkirk except Moffat for McGuffie , thought we were out muscled throughout the game and feel that Bell and Muirhead are a stronger partnership, convinced they would not have lost the 2 goals as Muirhead attacks the ball , Roscoe looked a bit lightweight , as a few have already said midfield missed Kerr’s passing today 

Anyone who thought we missed Kerr clearly wasn’t at the Falkirk game.  Or pretty much any game he’s played since about last November.  I’ve nothing against the guy - model professional who gave us a good 12 months or so.  Wouldn’t be opposed to him joining the coaching team, but as a player, his legs have gone.

I thought we were fine without being brilliant in the first half. Moff should have scored again, as should Doolan. Couple of decent moves that broke down as we looked for one pass too many.

Second half though, ooft. That’s as bad as I’ve seen us for some time. Defensively we looked shaky and we created next to nothing all half. Saying that I thought Forrest should have scored the one the defender eventually cleared off the line and Kerr was maybe a little unlucky not to score right at the end.

I’m not quite so doom and gloom as others but we need to improve sharpish!

6 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

How much money in total do you think we've spunked up the wall with the recent careless performances against Talbot, Alloa & Stranraer?

Must be a good few bob.

£250k absolute minimum?

The club don’t (or shouldn’t) be budgeting on cup money though. All the signs point to our budget being far smaller compared to this time last season (even before we had qualified for the next round of the league cup). Considering the season we’ve just had it’s quite hard to understand why.

32 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

How much money in total do you think we've spunked up the wall with the recent careless performances against Talbot, Alloa & Stranraer?

Must be a good few bob.

Talbot = £150,000

Alloa =£75000

Stranraer = £40,00 plus the gate money the 4rth best runner up gets ..

McCall downbeat because he knows we've just blown the chance of more players coming through the door and he'll be more than aware that current squad doesn't have enough depth for the championship nor good enough attacking options. Don't want to start this debate again but was moronic of the board to budget for progressing in the league cup beyond the group stage, that's the most diffucult group we've ever had. McCall will probably now be saying told you so to the board for the fact they shouldn't have put so much expectations on the league cup. Think there might be enough money still for McCall to scrape one player, would hope a striker, unless he does a begging call to Cameron if someone has really caught his eye. 

For the start of the season time will tell but the current squad has similarities to the last squad that got relegated from the championship wiht regards to lack of firepower upfront and Forrest being involved up top. However this squad is a lot better than that team so we should be safe (i hope), i think it'll be a struggle though  and not pretty. Predict 7/8th.

Edited by rb123!

8 minutes ago, rb123! said:

McCall downbeat because he knows we've just blown the chance of more players coming through the door and he'll be more than aware that current squad doesn't have enough depth for the championship nor good enough attacking options. Don't want to start this debate again but was moronic of the board to budget for progressing in the league cup beyond the group stage, that's the most diffucult group we've ever had. McCall will probably now be saying told you so to the board for the fact they shouldn't have put so much expectations on the league cup. Think there might be enough money still for McCall to scrape one player, would hope a striker, unless he does a begging call to Cameron if someone has really caught his eye. 

For the start of the season time will tell but the current squad has similarities to the last squad that got relegated from the championship wiht regards to lack of firepower upfront and Forrest being involved up top. However this squad is a lot better than that team so we should be safe (i hope), i think it'll be a struggle though  and not pretty. Predict 7/8th.

9th I reckon.  Stranraer played midweek yet looked fitter than we did.  And we won't score many goals.  Long long season ahead.  

Hope i'm wrong....