The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Bottom 3 definite with that squad . Stranraer were better today . Yes Stranraer . When a win would have took us through . No where near good enough . Typical of some of our deluded support . Och its awright , its a rubbish pre-season tourney with nothing at stake . Embarressing .

Murder second half. No idea why he took Kelly off as he was easily our best player. If that's fucked us for getting more bodies in then it could be a long season.

Doolan was really poor, looks miles off the pace from what I've seen of him so far. Bell was an accident waiting to happen all day. We had a few decent chances but Doohan far busier and his save in the first half was a cracker.

Stranraer can kid on all they like about us not being a scalp but the scenes of absolutely unbridled joy in their section of the stand when they scored a late equaliser in a cup they're already out of tell a different story.

1 minute ago, placidcasual said:

Murder second half. No idea why he took Kelly off as he was easily our best player. If that's fucked us for getting more bodies in then it could be a long season.

Doolan was really poor, looks miles off the pace from what I've seen of him so far. Bell was an accident waiting to happen all day. We had a few decent chances but Doohan far busier and his save in the first half was a cracker.

Stranraer can kid on all they like about us not being a scalp but the scenes of absolutely unbridled joy in their section of the stand when they scored a late equaliser in a cup they're already out of tell a different story.

Bell got done for pace a few times today, but he's savvy enough to know when to put a tackle in just before his man gets away, and to his credit it worked today.

38 minutes ago, Iain said:

Clearly not. Based on not beating a lower league side who had to use all of the only three outfield subs they had, resulting in elimination from a competition we know we needed to progress in to release vital additional player budget. Based on failing to beat a league one team with nothing to play for and who had 72 hours less rest (and probably worked jobs as well between fixtures) despite the fact the game was vital to us and the players being well aware of that. Based on failing to win a penalty shootout that would have salvaged the situation despite being up against said knackered part timers.

If the team had anything about them they'd have found a way to get the job done one way or another today. The only sensible conclusion is that they're not going to be brilliant this year.

Hoping this is the wrongest thing I've ever said though.

AUCHINLECK TALBOT ???????

Played some really nice stuff first half and should have went in at least 2 up, thinking the boys thought job was done and could walk the 2nd half Stranraer came out and played far better, we really need an another body upfront but will we get it now very unlikely, Kelly's free kick was brilliant!

Blame lies squarely with McCall.  Shifting Ross Docherty to right midfield to accommodate Kelly made no sense.  15 minutes into the 2nd half and it was obvious it was a mistake and we were losing the middle of the park.  He could have  changed it back but instead brought on McGuffie.  Another 10 minutes and the alarm bells were ringing off the hook with Murdoch chasing shadows and Kelly not in the game. Still had the option of changing back, but instead brought on Kerr who, I’m sorry to say, is completely done.  

Hard to say how significant the loss of revenue will prove to be, but we are clearly in serious trouble.  The biggest criticism I can level at Doolan is that a fit Craig Moore would get in the team ahead of him.  The Partick fans warned us he was finished, but McCall couldn’t see past the old pals act.  

7 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

Blame lies squarely with McCall.  Shifting Ross Docherty to right midfield to accommodate Kelly made no sense.  15 minutes into the 2nd half and it was obvious it was a mistake and we were losing the middle of the park.  He could have  changed it back but instead brought on McGuffie.  Another 10 minutes and the alarm bells were ringing off the hook with Murdoch chasing shadows and Kelly not in the game. Still had the option of changing back, but instead brought on Kerr who, I’m sorry to say, is completely done.  

Hard to say how significant the loss of revenue will prove to be, but we are clearly in serious trouble.  The biggest criticism I can level at Doolan is that a fit Craig Moore would get in the team ahead of him.  The Partick fans warned us he was finished, but McCall couldn’t see past the old pals act.  

I agree with the first part of the post . Doc had a firm hold on the central area and compensated for an out of sorts Murdoch  . When he moved right we were toast . However on Doolan ,I think we have to give him a proper chance ,players with cv's like him deserve at least that . I'm much more concerned with our lack of physicality and our complete ineptitude at dealing with corners and free kicks . Next week is going to be very tough against a very physical Morton side who will play a very direct game . Cadden running at Ferguson gives me the fear ...

1 minute ago, railwayend said:

I agree with the first part of the post . Doc had a firm hold on the central area and compensated for an out of sorts Murdoch  . When he moved right we were toast . However on Doolan ,I think we have to give him a proper chance ,players with cv's like him deserve at least that . I'm much more concerned with our lack of physicality and our complete ineptitude at dealing with corners and free kicks . Next week is going to be very tough against a very physical Morton side who will play a very direct game . Cadden running at Ferguson gives me the fear ...

We’ve blown a huge chunk of our budget on Doolan, so we’ll have to persevere.  Have to say I’ve seen nothing from him at all.  Thought Ferguson had a decent game on the whole.  The bigger offender was Harvie.  Just seemed to be having one of his bombscare days from start to finish.  That he missed the penalty was the least surprising aspect of the day.

If McCall was not going to underestimate Stranraer why not play your strongest side, big number of underperformers today which really surprised me after last week, where we really battled against a big strong Falkirk told me would be ok.

Very concerning that they  dominated us in the second half ran us off the pitch and won second balls all day for a part time team and really should have won the game in ninety minutes it was our keeper who was making all the saves to keep us in it, that was like the inverness last game last year good money thrown away that the team really needs.

The team’s shape up top is clearly a problem. You could argue that Doolan, Moffat & McCowan are all number 10’s and ideally you’d be selecting 2 from 3 and, on form that’d be Moffat & McCowan. I really don’t think Moffat & Doolan will work as a front two.

Whilst fairly satisfied at half time, it felt like death by a thousand passes at times and although admirable in wanting to pass through sides, there really needs to be an end product more often than not. Let’s hope the board have a few sheckles squirrelled under a mattress somewhere, we’re crying out for a proper centre forward who’ll only play within the width of the 18 yard box.

Concerned by the lack of genuine width today. First half Kelly played left and McCowan on the right of a midfield 4. Second half we had Docherty on the right & McCowan on the left until the substitutions. McGuffie made little impact when he did come on. Don’t know how he’s showing up in training but I was really keen to see Ross come on at some stage, I thought he looked decent when he came on against Falkirk.

Feels like a work in progress at the moment but today just wasn’t good enough and won’t be next week against Morton. Much work to be done.

2 hours ago, placidcasual said:

spongebob squarepants GIF

Wasn't there today but sounds like the best system we've had so far involved a five man midfield with doc holding (second half against livi).

Doolan is maybe too similar to Moffat - and those two certainly don't work as a pair.

We clearly need to work on our strength in the air, especially from set pieces - but there's still a lot of optimism with the young midfielders.

We're heavy underdogs against Morton now though.