The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

27 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

I would say McGuffie and McCowan are the form players, but Forrest overall at this stage is the stronger player. Perception may change 10 games into the season though! 

Yeah, I think it’s particularly pleasing to see such a young exciting group, could go the other way, but I feel it’s going to be an exciting team to watch.

Perception may change Tuesday  if we don't get a result.

1 minute ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Perception may change Tuesday  if we don't get a result.

I don't see why it should.

We know that our existing team from last season are all up to the job and we've added two of the brightest prospects from two of the top premiership sides not to mention an experienced SPL / top Championship standard CF and another promising young Aberdeen defender who McCall rated highly.

Add to that McCowan who we all rate highly given what we've seen and McGuffie who has all the natural ability in the world and it's got to be positive looking towards the season, irrespective of what happens on Tuesday.

54 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Interesting to note the upgrades we have on positions:

Doohan > Hart 

Geggan

Rose > Bell

Roscoe > Higgins

Harvie > Boyle 

Forrest > McDaid

Murdoch > Docherty

Kelly > Adams

Ross = Crawford (Not seen yet)

Moffat

Doolan > Moore

Our strongest 11 IMO, others may disagree.

That remains to be seen, the rest I would agree with (yes even Adams). 

Really want McGuffie to play like that every week - he has a tendency to get disheartened when things don't come off for him but I saw definite signs of improvement yesterday. His first time centre for Doolan's headed goal was a thing of beauty - a perfect cross that got a deserved quality finish.   

Really want McGuffie to play like that every week - he has a tendency to get disheartened when things don't come off for him but I saw definite signs of improvement yesterday. His first time centre for Doolan's headed goal was a thing of beauty - a perfect cross that got a deserved quality finish.   
I just hope he doesn't become the new target for the boo boys

7 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
10 minutes ago, Jazzar said:

I just hope he doesn't become the new target for the boo boys

Canny see it - they will be content with Harvie I reckon.  Especially after McCall singled him out as the nect one to maybe get a big move in his interview on Friday. 

1 hour ago, Superhursy7 said:

How much will young Kelly going to learn playing and training with Kerr, we really are spoiled with midfielders this season I'd go as far as saying we have the best pool of midfielders in the championship.

"The best pool of midfielders in the championship"

Based on one win against a Lowland League side and what else exactly?

This league is shite mate.

Doesn’t exactly take much to stand out. However Andy Murdoch is easily one of the best midfielders in this league and alongside guys like Kerr, Forrest, Ross and Kelly we’re well stocked in midfield.

Murdoch was outstanding last season and very unlucky not to make the championship team of the year, Mark Kerr even at 37 makes the game look easy, Docharty on his game one of the best midfielders in the championship see the one nil victory against Dundee United at Somerset last season he ran the show, Forrest before a season ending injury last season was as much the reason we were top of the league as any one, McGuffie has all the natural talent in the world a performance like yesterday even against Berwick will give him confidence to kick on, McCowan even this early into his Ayr career was arguably our best player in the last 4 games last season and has started very well this season he could be very very good player from what we have seen, Frank Ross and Stephen Kelly both very highly rated at their respective clubs both their parent club managers were not bad midfielders so I think they might know what they are talking about and could make a big impact for us, yeah your correct we played weak opposition yesterday but I stand by my point I wouldn't swap them for any other midfield in the championship.

Dundees three of Byrne, Ness and McGowan is the strongest in the championship atm. Also reasonably balanced with wide men McDaid and Todd, that's the best in the championship I reckon. 

BetFred games don't give much away with regards to how the season will pan out, the fact that McGuffie apparently now has all the natural talent in the world yet he couldn't break into a stinking Raith side shows that. 

Dundees three of Byrne, Ness and McGowan is the strongest in the championship atm. Also reasonably balanced with wide men McDaid and Todd, that's the best in the championship I reckon. 
BetFred games don't give much away with regards to how the season will pan out, the fact that McGuffie apparently now has all the natural talent in the world yet he couldn't break into a stinking Raith side shows that. 
Tbf both McCall & McGlynn have said that about him, although it's obviously based on watching him in training. Hasn't been able to show it consistently in matches and he's getting to the stage where he really has to start.

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

the fact that McGuffie apparently now has all the natural talent in the world yet he couldn't break into a stinking Raith side shows that. 

Well he indeed does have natural talent, however even in his couple of seasons fighting for a place in the Ayr first team he's been so inconsistent

From scoring an absolute worldie against Hibs in the cup to being an empty jersey against teams like Peterhead...he's got the ability, just needs to be able to harness it

Some might say we have just went through a cost cutting exercise that leaves us a pale shadow of a successful team last season. Others think we now have the best midfield in the league and have upgraded in key positions. Gonna be interesting to see how it all turns out when the proper action starts 

10 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Yeah but was that our strongest eleven two years ago?

I would say it has potential to be the best or one of the best in the league. However all players must live up to their potential, teams like Dundee Dundee Utdand Inverness. However at present, I would say our midfield is better than the rest of the division. Quite a few like Partick and QOS look like they need to add so we’ll know a lot more come 3rd August.

4 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Some might say we have just went through a cost cutting exercise that leaves us a pale shadow of a successful team last season. Others think we now have the best midfield in the league and have upgraded in key positions. Gonna be interesting to see how it all turns out when the proper action starts 

Our midfield was where we struggled last year. Lack of creativity and goals/assists from there where as we weren’t conceding that much and scored many. I definitely think our midfield has improved, defence will be weaker without Smith and Rose and we will have to wait and see how the attack does without Shankland.

36 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Our midfield was where we struggled last year. Lack of creativity and goals/assists from there where as we weren’t conceding that much and scored many. I definitely think our midfield has improved, defence will be weaker without Smith and Rose and we will have to wait and see how the attack does without Shankland.

Surely the attack will be a lot weaker without Shankland. Really not sure about the midfield currently. It wasn’t too long ago McCall wasn’t a fan of getting involved in the loan market. Has Doohan changed his mind or has his hand been forced? Crawford and McDaid could be good players on their day and had potential but were  rather inconsistent. Whilst the two loan players look good on paper turning that into games still has to happen and we have had plenty of previous  to measure from. Ross is proven so if he plays well then could be a strong player but the Rangers player will have an entirely different set of expectations