The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

29 minutes ago, Hursty said:

One of my first games that I remember as a wee boy.  Garry Agnew scored a free kick and my uncle won the half time draw.  Me and my cousin walking out the SRE singing "7-0 and a hundred pounds doo dah doo dah" is one of those wee memories that will always stick in my mind. 

We hit the "carry oot" prior to the match and a bottle of El Dorado with a couple of Diamond White chasers ensured that we lost track of the score as goal after goal rattled in the somerset road end net.

Probably one of our best home displays that I can't remember !!

Not getting carried away as the opposition were very very poor but I thought we were well organised and professional throughout today's game. Kelly will do very nicely but perhaps will struggle once the pitches and conditions in general deteriorate. Good to see Forrest back and I think Roscoe will be difficult to shift once Bell and Adams are fit again - and Ferguson could be an adequate enough replacement at right back for the seemingly injury-prone Geggan. No Murdoch or Moore on view either so what is there to have doubts about? Plus McCowan impresses me more every time I see him and McGuffie was certainly up for it today. As ever, injuries and suspensions will stretch us but I'm more than happy with that having lost Shankland, Rose, Smith, Crawford and McDaid from last season's team. A target man up front would seem to be the priority right now. 

Well done McCall - another sound start to the season. Tuesday will be a totally different test but there was lots today to admire.

Very, very happy after that performance today.

First half was complete dominance against granted a poor side, but you've got to put them away when you come up against them. Moffat showing his great link-up play and goal scoring abilities. Luke McCowan continues his good form from last season and a good performance from Kelly too. 

Also, is Kelly the first ever player to start a competitive game who was born from the year 2000?

Edited by THEHonestman1910

1 hour ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Do we usually get highlights for the BetFred from aumedia?

No, just Ayr United TV on YouTube as always, don't think AUMedia do highlights.  

Take a bow Ian McCall and Sandy Stewart , another team put together on a budget and whipped into superb shape in hardly anytime at all . Our guys are always match ready for the Betfred ,woe  betide anyone who rolls up wanting to play us in pre season mode . Great that our front three and winger got among the goals and great for the defence that we got a clean sheet ..

Onto Livingston on Tuesday ,tough game ,they have had £1.1million prize money to through at an already good team but you know what , our young players will be dying to get onto their 4G in front of what may be a big Ayr support and give it a proper go . So we'll see ....

Take a bow Ian McCall and Sandy Stewart , another team put together on a budget and whipped into superb shape in hardly anytime at all . Our guys are always match ready for the Betfred ,woe  betide anyone who rolls up wanting to play us in pre season mode . Great that our front three and winger got among the goals and great for the defence that we got a clean sheet ..
Onto Livingston on Tuesday ,tough game ,they have had £1.1million prize money to through at an already good team but you know what , our young players will be dying to get onto their 4G in front of what may be a big Ayr support and give it a proper go . So we'll see ....

To be fair we are as fit as anyone till December January time under McCalls tenure so far tbh it’s only January onwards we struggle

9 minutes ago, railwayend said:

Hope you've got cause to repeat this comment at the end of the year.

6 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

So do I . However we all know we'll eventually have to play on heavy fields in poor weather against teams packed with rugby players and hammer throwers . This is where we have slipped up in the past ,but eventually the fourth quarter arrives and its back to the football teams (kind of) .  We will only have a pool of around 20 players so we need lady luck to shine on us on the injury front ,but at least this year it looks like we don't have a single point of failure to worry about . Another striker in and some good work in the January window and we should be ok this season . Fantastic start anyway ......

Think we need to rein it in a wee bit tbh. A great result today and scoring 7 goals is great for any team but it’s one game and of all the Betfred games this is the one that I was sort of expecting us to be winning quite comfortably.

I’m happy with the shape the squad is taking and I’d say if we brought another striker in we’re pretty much done. Preferably a striker with a bit of height that can hold his own against bigger centre backs and allow others to run off him.

2 minutes ago, railwayend said:

So do I . However we all know we'll eventually have to play on heavy fields in poor weather against teams packed with rugby players and hammer throwers . This is where we have slipped up in the past ,but eventually the fourth quarter arrives and its back to the football teams (kind of) .  We will only have a pool of around 20 players so we need lady luck to shine on us on the injury front ,but at least this year it looks like we don't have a single point of failure to worry about . Another striker in and some good work in the January window and we should be ok this season . Fantastic start anyway ......

We do seem to have followed a particular pattern  for the past few seasons. More than anything this season I'd like to see that monotony  broken.

6 hours ago, paulbrucerick said:

Meadowbank at Somerset,  late 80's/early 90's is the last seven up I remember.

1991 to be precise, pretty sure it was the same day as Ayr Gold Cup. I think the next week we won 4-3 at Cappielow with 3 goals in the last 12 minutes. 

That was our record away victory today,  had only managed 6 goal victories before. 

It doesn't matter the standard of the opposition. Not one little bit. To play a competitive match, away from home, first of the season and to rattle in 7 goals to no reply, it's very, very impressive.

We all could not have asked for a better start.

It is very satisfying as a supporter and really gives us all that we bit of extra optimism.

Can't wait to see how we fair against Livi.

Any result against them will be fantastic.

20 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Think we need to rein it in a wee bit tbh. A great result today and scoring 7 goals is great for any team but it’s one game and of all the Betfred games this is the one that I was sort of expecting us to be winning quite comfortably.

I’m happy with the shape the squad is taking and I’d say if we brought another striker in we’re pretty much done. Preferably a striker with a bit of height that can hold his own against bigger centre backs and allow others to run off him.

I expected to win this match quite comfortably as well ,but the Talbot fiasco is still fresh in my mind . Shit does happen sometimes . So I'll take  7-0's away from home with five debut's every day of the week . There will be stiffer test coming up ,none more so than Livingston away . Not forgetting a very large and direct Morton team in a few weeks .