The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

If Doollan, McCowan,Moff and Moore can get about 25 to 30 between them the wingers chip in with 5 or so, we get a few from midfielders and a couple from the centerbacks we will be fine one of the issues last season was if Shankland didn't score we struggled I'd be happy to have goals through the whole team not just one guy.

1 hour ago, Superhursy7 said:

If Doollan, McCowan,Moff and Moore can get about 25 to 30 between them the wingers chip in with 5 or so, we get a few from midfielders and a couple from the centerbacks we will be fine one of the issues last season was if Shankland didn't score we struggled I'd be happy to have goals through the whole team not just one guy.

We were guilty at times of overplaying to Shankland last season and of course he also was our penalty taker and free kick taker. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not for one minute saying he won't be a huge loss, however I don't believe our team just totally revolved around him.

20 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

We were guilty at times of overplaying to Shankland last season and of course he also was our penalty taker and free kick taker. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not for one minute saying he won't be a huge loss, however I don't believe our team just totally revolved around him.

I thought that's exactly what it did.

1 minute ago, UpInTheAyr said:

I thought that's exactly what it did.

Only because we made it that way.

It was no coincidence that Shanklands form and Ayr's form dipped massively when we lost Forrest as he was playing as the link man along with Moffat. If Doolan can make decent runs then there's no reason to think that he shouldn't finish quite a few with the quality service he should be getting.

We've also got one of the best penalty kick takers around in Muirhead, so that's another potential headache taken care of.

As I've said previously, if we can get Doohan back as our #1 priority and then add a creative midfielder then I'd be going into next season feeling confident of another good showing.

It shouldn't be underestimated the advantage of keeping most of our squad together and there will be quite a few of our opponents having a total overhaul which as we know ourselves doesn't always bare the best results............

18 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Only because we made it that way.

It was no coincidence that Shanklands form and Ayr's form dipped massively when we lost Forrest as he was playing as the link man along with Moffat. If Doolan can make decent runs then there's no reason to think that he shouldn't finish quite a few with the quality service he should be getting.

We've also got one of the best penalty kick takers around in Muirhead, so that's another potential headache taken care of.

As I've said previously, if we can get Doohan back as our #1 priority and then add a creative midfielder then I'd be going into next season feeling confident of another good showing.

It shouldn't be underestimated the advantage of keeping most of our squad together and there will be quite a few of our opponents having a total overhaul which as we know ourselves doesn't always bare the best results............

I'd be more worried about Muirhead giving away penalties than scoring them.

As for Forrest, iirc he was on excellent form but it was only for a few games before he got injured. If he had kept that up over  a bunch of them I'd be more confident of him playing the part of one of the main  players for next season,  but I'm not so sure I see him doing that.  It's a big season for him anyway.

Kris Doolan...... if you get 5% of the joy we got from him you've got a great signing on your hands, he's a total pro and as much as he loved us he WILL score against us. I'm very jealous of you now whether he can replace Shankland I'm not so sure because of his age, but good luck for the season with him.
Oh and BTW he's a helluva good guy to talk too as well.

We’re probably looking at something like this when everyone is fit 

Hare-Reid

Ferguson  Muirhead Roscoe  Harvie

Geggan Docherty Murdoch Forrest 

McCowan Doolan

Subs: Graham, Adams*, Bell; Kerr, McGuffie; Moffat; Moore* 

Both currently injured and likely to miss start of the season.

Given McCall wants another 5 players I’d imagine we’ll sign a starting GK, Starting RB, Starting centre mid to replace Doc, Starting winger to replace Geggan and a striker. 

Will we sign another right back when Ferguson, Geggan and potentially Muirhead can play there? Not so sure myself although I do agree we need a new first choice right back 

McCall says he thinks we need cover at RB. I’m guessing he’ll maybe want a CB that can cover there and views Geggan as a midfielder that will play wide in certain games.

Listening to that makes me feel a lot more comfortable than a week ago. Think this sort of interview was probably needed after the Rosscoe signing, but better late than never. So a keeper (Doohan), defender, 2x midfielders and a striker hopefully all still to come. Excluding Doohan, the 2 midfielders I feel are the next 2 we need through, defence and attacking are where we have the bulk so far, we need a winger and a centre mid, then hopefully the rest follow.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

McCall says he thinks we need cover at RB. I’m guessing he’ll maybe want a CB that can cover there and views Geggan as a midfielder that will play wide in certain games.

Cheers, hadn’t seen that interview