The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

20 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

I understand the budget scenario, sort of. It can increase during the season if we qualify further in tournaments (forecasting can’t be included in budget) however with so many big players off the books, we should still be able to bring in 4/5 decent players to fill the voids (GK, DF, MF, MF, ST) at the very least.

This.

At the start of last season our budget was based on the forecast we would finish 8th. Over the course of the season it was increased on the basis of Betfred Cup progression, the Rangers game and then expectation that we would finish in the play-offs. 

At the start of this season, I would imagine our budget is based on the forecast we will finish 6th - 8th. 

If McCall's budget at 19/06/2019 is less than it was at 19/06/2018 then that would be disappointing, but it is not clear that is the position. 

1 hour ago, capperauld_96 said:

I see someone has already started posting the questions and answers on the SRE, as of yet both the questions and answers have been pretty shite.  Most answers are vague. 

However, been confirmed that the budget is lower this season, which makes zero sense to me. 

Aye Ive just had a read through it.

Question - Is the player budget less this season than last?  

Answer -  So far, yes, and there are good reasons for that. If we qualify for the second round of the BetFred Cup, then all of that money will be added etc.

Could he have been any more vague with that response? Has confirmed the budget is lower however hasn’t went into any details as to why.

1 minute ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Aye Ive just had a read through it.

Question - Is the player budget less this season than last?  

Answer -  So far, yes, and there are good reasons for that. If we qualify for the second round of the BetFred Cup, then all of that money will be added etc.

Could he have been any more vague with that response? Has confirmed the budget is lower however hasn’t went into any details as to why.

Aye.  Im getting pelters from the roasters on the SRE for saying the answers are vague. I don't think that wanting more information than "So far, yes, and there are good reasons for that. If we qualify for the second round of the BetFred Cup, then all of that money will be added etc", is a huge request by any standard. 

Just now, capperauld_96 said:

Aye.  Im getting pelters from the roasters on the SRE for saying the answers are vague. I don't think that wanting more information than "So far, yes, and there are good reasons for that. If we qualify for the second round of the BetFred Cup, then all of that money will be added etc", is a huge request by any standard. 

If your not a happy clapper with your head up ‘Mr Camerons’ arse then you get pelters. The answers just give me the impression of someone who can’t be bothered anymore. 

1 minute ago, ayrunitedfw said:

If your not a happy clapper with your head up ‘Mr Camerons’ arse then you get pelters. The answers just give me the impression of someone who can’t be bothered anymore. 

Agree 100%. I think the biggest answer he mustered up was 4 lines, speaks volumes I feel. 

Has anyone asked questions about the proposed development of the car park and surrounding areas, where are offices and shop going, will we have a car park etc 

Slightly confused here. The budget is lower at the minute because last years included betfred cup cash that hasn’t been banked yet. Did this add up to £175,000? I think it’s perfectly reasonable to increase our budget over a season depending on cup income. If our starting budget this season is now lower than our starting budget last year then I’d be more concerned. If McCall is comparing total budget spent to budget this year (before cup money added) then its most unhelpful in terms of creating a goodwill message 

13 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Has anyone asked questions about the proposed development of the car park and surrounding areas, where are offices and shop going, will we have a car park etc 

I was going to ask him tonight about renewable energy, ie. if the club has every looked at the viability of installing solar panels / installing small wind turbines, switching everything to LED. I appreciate the enormous outlay required would be one of the major barriers.  Happy to tag that on as a two pronged question about infrastructure tonight. 

Edited by Hawk89

Aye that's what i'm not getting and it's the big question I think.  .

Is the budget reduced compared to what it was as of this time a year ago?  If that's a yes, then i'd say that is pretty concerning and throws a bit of doubt onto the sustainability of full time football on current crowds (which if im honest i've never been totally convinced by, but that's possibly just the accountant in me).  

If it's just a 'reduction' based on the final budget of last season, ie the pre Betfred Cup budget plus the net cost of Smith signing in August plus Muirhead and the 2 loans in and out in January then that makes perfect sense and isn't really a big issue for me.   

We seem to have always worked this way - last few seasons we have seen Harkins / Balatoni / Shankland and Smith all come in after the season started.

Just now, madton said:

How was Nicky Cadden for you, just signed for us?

He was decent. 

Good turn of pace and can good at going by players. He won't be a standout in this league but he's a decent enough option to have. 

6 hours ago, Superhursy7 said:

I'm not not thinking we should be be flush and throwing money about but you would think we would have a similar budget to last season.

Makes sense to have less tbh. 

6 hours ago, Hawk89 said:

to an extent ICT & Dunfermline with their new found millions from selling Longridge. 

Even without the Longridge money we should still have a bigger budget? 

4 hours ago, WATTOO said:

McDaid, Crawford and even Shankland were all League 1 players, they weren't proven Championship standard and prior to our good run clubs weren't exactly falling over themselves to offer them deals 

They'd all had good league 1 seasons though and would've had teams interested, Dunfermline were interested in McDaid for example and that would've drove his wages up. 

Shankland was well known after his wonder season and Crawford for some reason is genuinely liked by some managers. 

21 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Slightly confused here. The budget is lower at the minute because last years included betfred cup cash that hasn’t been banked yet. Did this add up to £175,000? I think it’s perfectly reasonable to increase our budget over a season depending on cup income. If our starting budget this season is now lower than our starting budget last year then I’d be more concerned. If McCall is comparing total budget spent to budget this year (before cup money added) then its most unhelpful in terms of creating a goodwill message 

Quickly off the top of my head from a final standings perspective, we've lost,

Robbie Crawford, Declan McDaid, Lawrence Shankland, Michael Rose, Liam Smith, Ross Doohan, Nicky Cadden, Calvin Miller & Chris Higgins.

We've brought back David Ferguson and Craig McGuffie and signed Sam Roscoe.

Currently that's a net deficit of 6 players (not to mention some of our best players and highest earners).

Coupled with the above we've also re-signed some of our squad on reduced terms which of course is another cut.

As for what we've got, well I reckon we have no striker as Moore won't be fully fit until September (best case) and neither Moffat nor McCowan are centre forwards.

I'm not panicking as yet, however the reality of the situation is that we have no Goalkeeper other than an untried boy and no fit strikers which coupled with an apparent drastic cut in budgets doesn't really auger well for the coming season..........

Just now, Grant228 said:

Even without the Longridge money we should still have a bigger budget? 

To be fair it was a wee snide comment as I'm still gutted Roberts let him go. 
My assumption is your budget will be similar to ICT, that includes pre-Longridge transfer. Ayr are the next tier down in this league mixing it up with Morton and QotS when it comes to financial fire power.