The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I’d rather Muirhead than Bell*

* ideally we’d sign 2 starting cbs but that’s not realistic. 

Not 2 starting ones. But perhaps the boy Harrington and someone like Lang or Murray.

Our defence was always better with Bell in it - Rose owes a lot to him. He made mistakes but I can’t understand what some of our support have against him.

I can’t really remember him making a mistake in League 1. We would never have won that league without him. Probably one of the best impact signings McCall has made.

And until the 3-3 draw with Ross County I can’t really remember him doing anything. I think with both him and Adams being PT they’ll be back ups with Muirhead and someone else being the first choice. Imo though if we sign a younger player I’d rather we stuck him alongside Bell.

10 hours ago, railwayend said:

So as it stand our run on 11 looks a bit like this :

Nobody

Ferguson Muirhead Bell Harvie

Geggan Kerr Murdock Forest

Moffat McCowan

Not the worst situation as long a five or six are in bound ,including Doohan ....

Whats the script with Hare-Reid? Is he away or still in talks with us? 

11 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Our defence was always better with Bell in it - Rose owes a lot to him. He made mistakes but I can’t understand what some of our support have against him.

Totally agree, our best performances last season were when Bell was in the team.

Lots of our fans also totally underestimate his passing ability and the amount of moves that started at the back via Bell, contrast that to Muirhead who can't pass a ball to feet at all and you can see why Bell is invaluable if playing a passing possession style of play.

So as it stand our run on 11 looks a bit like this :

Nobody
Ferguson Muirhead Bell Harvie
Geggan Kerr Murdock Forest
          Moffat McCowan
Not the worst situation as long a five or six are in bound ,including Doohan ....

Real lack of goals is the worry with that side. There’s not a double figures for the season guy there at this level.

1 minute ago, Tommi_Pavlova said:

Real lack of goals is the worry with that side. There’s not a double figures for the season guy there at this level.

An even bigger worry is that we're playing with 10 men and no goalkeeper..................

15 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Got nothing against Rose and wish him the best at Coventry, but he only really came on to a game when Bell arrived.  Think it was just having the benefit of an old hand next to him organising the defence that helped.  As a partnership, Rose and Higgins was as poor as anything we’ve had in recent years.  

40 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

Got nothing against Rose and wish him the best at Coventry, but he only really came on to a game when Bell arrived.  Think it was just having the benefit of an old hand next to him organising the defence that helped.  As a partnership, Rose and Higgins was as poor as anything we’ve had in recent years.  

Harsh given that, not too long ago, we lined up with Darren Brownlie and Marc Twaddle at CB.

Stevie Bell has been a great signing and if only he didn't have that rick at Inverness ,which then allowed Higgins back in the team for the Talbot game , then it would have been Hearts away in the quarters after destroying Talbot in a reply on a proper football pitch  . Anyway we are waiting on two or three for the starting 11 and lets hope a couple of double figures guys are amongst them . Doolan would be a start ,as well as a partner and a goal scoring midfielder . Get the feeling McCowan will get a run in the Betfred but may get moved out wide for the League games early on . Could also do with some goals from our centre backs at corners ,big Muirhead got one at Thistle this season but more are required .

Get the feeling if we can take 10 points from Alloa and Arbroath we should be ok .,but I figure there will be a surprise in the bottom two ! Lets make sure it aint us ...

1 hour ago, railwayend said:

Could also do with some goals from our centre backs at corners ,big Muirhead got one at Thistle this season but more are required .

That goal was an accident, he was there as a blocker and Harkins just disintegrated.  

1 hour ago, railwayend said:

Get the feeling if we can take 10 points from Alloa and Arbroath we should be ok .,but I figure there will be a surprise in the bottom two ! Lets make sure it aint us ...

I can't say it would be a surprise to see us in the bottom two.  Unless we get some legs and goals into the team I can't imagine this will be any more fun than post Christmas last year where we were one of the worst teams in the league for that spell.  

Edited by itzdrk

20 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Because hes crap in the air and not a centre half.

Because hes crap in the air and not a centre half.

Don’t see what him not being a natural centre half has to do with anything when he was more than capable of playing there this season.

11 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I have nothing against Stevie Bell but he should not be starting for a team with ambitions of finishing top 4. 

This! 

11 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Don’t see what him not being a natural centre half has to do with anything when he was more than capable of playing there this season.

He wasn't.

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

He wasn't.

There was absolutely nothing last year to suggest he's not capable of playing at this level. He probably won't be a starter but considering the standard of defenders last season he's better than a lot of them. 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

There was absolutely nothing last year to suggest he's not capable of playing at this level. He probably won't be a starter but considering the standard of defenders last season he's better than a lot of them. 

The fifth goal we conceeded against QoS back in September is a good watch as to why Bell shouldn't be played at centre half.