The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, Beastie Russell said:

Is it true that Ayr have offered terms with players, at a lower level than last season.

Yes but on the flip side other players have been offered better terms. I believe McCall is offering contracts based on predicted overall contribution rather than sentiment. 

1 minute ago, Beastie Russell said:

Is it true that Ayr have offered terms with players, at a lower level than last season.

From what McCall says it sounds like a lower basic with the chance to bring it up to last season's level with appearance bonuses.

34 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Some players, but not all. These are guys who are getting on a bit.

40 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Yes and the Ayrshire post article pretty much suggests the majority of our signings will be loanees. We’ll probably be joining you boys back in league 1 next season. 

22 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Yes and the Ayrshire post article pretty much suggests the majority of our signings will be loanees. We’ll probably be joining you boys back in league 1 next season. 

I'm really not understanding this, unless these Loan signings are expected to be top players on high wages ??

Point 1 is that we had one of the lowest if not THE lowest full time budgets in the league last season.

Point 2 is that we have lost our highest earners from last season as they've already left the club.

Point 3 is that we MUST be in a better financial footing at this point in time than we were at this point last season.

So, going by the above, what the hell is happening at the club ???

I'm not expecting us to be signing players for transfer fees etc, however I am expecting us to, at the very least, be matching our budget from last season, given the fact that we have now consolidated in this division and must have done better than was hoped / expected last season with regards our finishing position in the league and additional financial gain from the cups.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for bringing through our youth if they're good enough, but I just find the tone of the messages coming out of our club to be rather downbeat and defeatist at a time when we should be doing the exact opposite and be looking to build on last seasons success through punting as many season tickets as possible along with the new strips etc as opposed to scunnering everyone with tales of doom and gloom.

Is it just me ??

First rule in negotiation - Don't show your hand

Why would McCall or anyone at the club let anyone know what our budget is for next season?

He will be trying his best to get as much back from as little spend as possible.

Makes sense to me.

That way, whatever he has left nearer the end of the window, he might be able to get a wee cracker or 2.

Maybe, he is ideally looking to keep something for January, we will no doubt need it as we always have.

Some people really need to stop reading the drivel on the SRE, its self perpetuating doom and gloom

We have lost 10 players from last years squad, 4 were definite starters, 1 of which was a loan player, 3 first team squad, again 2 were on loan, and 3 players that Higgins aside never kicked a ball all season

We have made offers to 6 of last years team - 5 are the experienced players / getting on a bit and have been offered lower basic salary to free up some cash Kerr, and Bell have resigned. Only Moff would be considered a starter, Kerr, Bell and Geggan solid squad players and Adams will play a part at some point

Only other players we are waiting on signing on again are Crawford and Moore.

Obviously you are in a better negotiation position if you make noises of not having a lot to spend, then if we are offering decent wages it makes it look like we are pushing the boat out to sign someone, and agents are less likely to try and fleece us which they would if they think we can afford it.

Getting a decision on Doohan early is critical, then we can focus on getting a CH and Forward then a winger, then you cna look at a replacement for anyone that doesnt sign on. 

6 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

First rule in negotiation - Don't show your hand

Why would McCall or anyone at the club let anyone know what our budget is for next season?

He will be trying his best to get as much back from as little spend as possible.

Makes sense to me.

That way, whatever he has left nearer the end of the window, he might be able to get a wee cracker or 2.

Maybe, he is ideally looking to keep something for January, we will no doubt need it as we always have.

I'm going with this. Us Ayr fans are a very pessimistic lot and quick to jump to conclusions. We don't know the budget and we don't know for sure who the player targets are.  Think all the negativity stems from us being in the football wilderness for so long and we are all expecting it to go pear shaped. Goes without saying McCall will have a plan in place and we will just have to wait and see. Hopefully another good season to come.

Relying on everyone signing on again who we think we will, i think as a bare minimum we'll need the following and my wish-list signings:

1. GK (Doohan)

2. RB (Ryan McGowan or Nicky Devlin, highly unlikely)

3. CB (Lang or Aberdeen boy)

4. Winger (Possibly Cadden or Erskine)

5. Striker (x2) (Doolan, Boyd, Nisbett or Scott Wright??)

I would certainly be hopeful for six quality signings, if it's any lower then things will be looking a bit bleak.

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Reminds me of the year we finished 2nd in the championship and made a loss.

This  was due to win bonus being budgeted for about 60% less wins than the team managed to achieve.

We’re not going to be on a lower budget christ. We’re offering guys like Bell, Moffat, Kerr, Adams, Geggan reduced terms for the obvious reason of age/game time. Say Geggan for the last 2 years was on £300 a week, he’s hardly kicked a ball the last 5 months, would it make sense to offer him the same terms for the forthcoming season? Of course not. Ayr fans neee to calm the f**k down, it’s still May :lol:

We’re not going to be on a lower budget christ. We’re offering guys like Bell, Moffat, Kerr, Adams, Geggan reduced terms for the obvious reason of age/game time. Say Geggan for the last 2 years was on £300 a week, he’s hardly kicked a ball the last 5 months, would it make sense to offer him the same terms for the forthcoming season? Of course not. Ayr fans neee to calm the f**k down, it’s still May :lol:

Don’t let that get in the way of a good panic.

We’re not going to be on a lower budget christ. We’re offering guys like Bell, Moffat, Kerr, Adams, Geggan reduced terms for the obvious reason of age/game time. Say Geggan for the last 2 years was on £300 a week, he’s hardly kicked a ball the last 5 months, would it make sense to offer him the same terms for the forthcoming season? Of course not. Ayr fans neee to calm the f**k down, it’s still May [emoji38]

This. Unfortunately our support are like this every year. The amount of panic last summer because some players hadn't announced their intentions yet was ridiculous.

All the facts that we know are that some players have been offered lower wages on the basis of their expected level of involvement, and McDaid has rejected the offer we gave him.

For some reason, to many of our fans, that seems to mean that we have slashed the budget and will happily let all of our squad go, replacing them with a squad made almost entirely of loans. Mental.

The narrative is out now that we are slashing wages when Voice of Reason who probably has more connections at the club than most confirmed that we in fact offered McDaid a rise but why let the facts get in the way of a good doom and gloom story, fact is McCall is hardly going to be shouting at the roof tops about who he wants and wages as that just tells other folk who we want and let's no for forget Doohan and Murdoch signed days before first game in Betfred last season and Smith signed after the league started not all your best signings will be there first day of pre season.

7 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

The narrative is out now that we are slashing wages when Voice of Reason who probably has more connections at the club than most confirmed that we in fact offered McDaid a rise but why let the facts get in the way of a good doom and gloom story, fact is McCall is hardly going to be shouting at the roof tops about who he wants and wages as that just tells other folk who we want and let's no for forget Doohan and Murdoch signed days before first game in Betfred last season and Smith signed after the league started not all your best signings will be there first day of pre season.

We've had managers in the not so distance past who wore their heart on their sleeve and told the media everything. I seem to remember Brian Reid getting caught out telling the media who he was after which spectacularly backfired when the player signed for someone else. The winter football season doesn't officially end until Saturday night so, lets keep the heads.

IF we are in a similar position squad wise by the end of the last week in June I'll happily join the heeds gone club. 

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

I'm only "doom and gloom" due to what people have posted on this site and what the AP has been reporting, coupled with what McCall has apparently stated.

Apart from this I know nothing, however the stuff I have heard / read has all been negative.

That's it in a nutshell, if it's all about deception as a negotiating tactic then fair enough, I hope to hell it is and it works..............