The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Dreggs of players? I reckon Doyle is better than Harvie and don’t forget many seem to be touting Ferguson for right back next season 
Pre February Harvie I'd maybe agree but the last two months Harvie was arguably our best or at least most improved player and currently is the Scotland u21 LB I wouldn't swap him for any one else at this level just now but yes we defo need a RB

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

For the defence, if we sign up Adams or Bell, Geggan on top of Harvie, Ferguson, Muirhead and Ecrepont then I would say we should be adding 2 centre backs to that with one able to cover full back.

The defense is the area of the team needing the most corrective surgery. I agree we need 2 centre backs and a right back though.

Ferguson I'm not sure is up to it.

McCall wont play Ecrepont and he has to get past Harvie in the pecking order.

Adams or Bell - steady but unspectacular both have their weeknesses. Bell cant deal with high balls. Adams is physically broken.

Geggan - Can still play but too injury prone for me.

1 minute ago, Superhursy7 said:
6 minutes ago, AyrExile said:
Dreggs of players? I reckon Doyle is better than Harvie and don’t forget many seem to be touting Ferguson for right back next season 

Pre February Harvie I'd maybe agree but the last two months Harvie was arguably our best or at least most improved player and currently is the Scotland u21 LB I wouldn't swap him for any one else at this level just now but yes we defo need a RB

Don’t think Harvie improved over the course of the season. Because he’s still young I’m hoping he can kick on and become a player for us. On saying that he seems quite developed for his age so not sure how much more he will progress

Yeah, if you want to finish 8th! Thats not the limit of our ambition and I hope the board agree.
ETA - Signing a defender from a team who cannot defend cross balls does not strike me as a plan for success. Doyle is a definite no.
This is dangerous thinking imo.

I have no opinion on the guy we're discussing as I've seen queens once and opposition players don't register highly for me. But we certainly struggled to score against them this season.

For me it's the chemistry of the team that will allow us to challenge at the top end again, and certainly not some newly imagined transfer policy. We don't have the fucking money for a start.

We also kept so many players that many folk on this thread thought should be binned when we came up, and we were flying high for a long time. That should tell us that fans are pretty poor judges on how to build a team.

Fortunately I think McCall will be a bit more grounded in his assessment of what's needed.

2 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Don’t think Harvie improved over the course of the season. Because he’s still young I’m hoping he can kick on and become a player for us. On saying that he seems quite developed for his age so not sure how much more he will progress

Harvie had a strange season. Started the season poorly with two sendings off. Benched for a spell with Smith at left back and Geggan at right back. Got back in, played well for a spell to Xmas. Form dipped from about January (along with everyone tbf) but I think he has been  good the last two months. Hell, he even played okay at cente back against Ross County.

I thought he improved a lot after being away with Scotland from the performance he put in against Talbot and the game against ICT when we were 3 nil down at half time he was night and day after that.

11 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Jamie Adams, Andy geggan, Steven bell type players are crucial for success in this league

That would work if you could get them playing every week, however Geggan only made 23 appearances, Bell 26 and Adams 13 out of a possible 40.  That's hopeless if you rely on them for your starting 11, which we did for most of the season.

That would work if you could get them playing every week, however Geggan only made 23 appearances, Bell 26 and Adams 13 out of a possible 40.  That's hopeless if you rely on them for your starting 11, which we did for most of the season.
Read the other posts, I wasn't suggesting keeping those players for next season.

6 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I have no opinion on the guy we're discussing as I've seen queens once and opposition players don't register highly for me. But we certainly struggled to score against them this season.

For me it's the chemistry of the team that will allow us to challenge at the top end again, and certainly not some newly imagined transfer policy. We don't have the fucking money for a start.

We also kept so many players that many folk on this thread thought should be binned when we came up, and we were flying high for a long time. That should tell us that fans are pretty poor judges on how to build a team.

Fortunately I think McCall will be a bit more grounded in his assessment of what's needed.

I agree regarding chemistry and attitude and McCall being the best judge of that.

The rest of your post is a bit strange.

No one was suggesting a new tranfer policy and I even cited money as an issue. :blink:

Also, I guess as fans there is no point speculating about who we'd sign as we cant judge building a team by your logic. However it would make this forum pretty redundant if we lived by that.

For the last couple months of the season our best players were our full backs. Smith was probably our most creative player at times and Harvie improved a lot when McCall stopped playing Crawford in front of him. I’d be astounded if Ferguson is as good as Smith but I think we should give the guy a fair crack before deciding we need a new RB.

11 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Unless there is some magic investment or rapid increase in crowds then top end of the league means bigger teams having nightmare seasons 

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

For the last couple months of the season our best players were our full backs. Smith was probably our most creative player at times and Harvie improved a lot when McCall stopped playing Crawford in front of him. I’d be astounded if Ferguson is as good as Smith but I think we should give the guy a fair crack before deciding we need a new RB.

I can see what you are saying. I also trust the gaffer to make the right call.

I think we've been really spoiled by Smith, he is a very good RB and very consistent. I'm sure we are all sad to see him go.

For me we need: 

GK- New GK/Doohan. Hare-Reid as back up.

LB- Don’t need any here- Harvie as starter with Ferguson and Ecrepont as back ups.

RB- New RB. Geggan and Ferguson as back ups.

CB- 2 new CB’s. Muirhead as back up. 

CM- 1x new centre mid to play alongside Murdoch. Docherty, Kerr and Murdoch 

Wingers- McDaid and another. Forrest and McGuffie as back up. 

Strikers- Moffat and another. Moore as back up. 

So hopefully we’re looking at something like:

New GK/Doohan

New RB

New CB

New CB

Harvie

McDaid

Murdoch

NEW CM

New Winger

Moffat

New Striker

Reserves: Hare Reid, Geggan, Ferguson, Muirhead, Kerr, Docherty, McCowan, Forrest, McGuffie, Moore

The situation with Ferguson is similar to the situation with McGuffie I would defo give them both a chance but would love a another decent RB and winger so we aren't cought short if they don't kick on like we and McCall hope.

2 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Unless there is some magic investment or rapid increase in crowds then top end of the league means bigger teams having nightmare seasons 

Is that really the case?

Alloa & Arbroath are part time with lower budgets.

QoS, Morton & ICT have similar crowds to us so would guess comparable budgets.

Partick, Dundee & St Mirren/Dundee United will clearly have bigger budgets.

However, is 4th/5th not a fair ambition?

I agree regarding chemistry and attitude and McCall being the best judge of that.
The rest of your post is a bit strange.
No one was suggesting a new tranfer policy and I even cited money as an issue. :blink:
Also, I guess as fans there is no point speculating about who we'd sign as we cant judge building a team by your logic. However it would make this forum pretty redundant if we lived by that.
Fair enough, can't argue with any of that.

To change subject, am I the only one that struggles to concentrate on two teams when watching a match?

If I'm a neutral then I watch the play generally but don't really concentrate on one team, but watching Ayr means I barely see the other team.

It takes a standout performance (the first time I noticed this was Nacho Novo against us pre rangers, maybe Raith rovers c2002) for me to even register. I just watch our individuals and our formation, and general play. When we don't have the ball I'm looking at the defence, and when we do I'm looking at the options.

1 minute ago, Trogdor said:

Is that really the case?

Alloa & Arbroath are part time with lower budgets.

QoS, Morton & ICT have similar crowds to us so would guess comparable budgets.

Partick, Dundee & St Mirren/Dundee United will clearly have bigger budgets.

However, is 4th/5th not a fair ambition?

5th is a fair ambition 

For me we need: 
GK- New GK/Doohan. Hare-Reid as back up.
LB- Don’t need any here- Harvie as starter with Ferguson and Ecrepont as back ups.
RB- New RB. Geggan and Ferguson as back ups.
CB- 2 new CB’s. Muirhead as back up. 
CM- 1x new centre mid to play alongside Murdoch. Docherty, Kerr and Murdoch 
Wingers- McDaid and another. Forrest and McGuffie as back up. 
Strikers- Moffat and another. Moore as back up. 
So hopefully we’re looking at something like:
New GK/Doohan
New RB
New CB
New CB
Harvie

McDaid
Murdoch
NEW CM
New Winger

Moffat
New Striker
Reserves: Hare Reid, Geggan, Ferguson, Muirhead, Kerr, Docherty, McCowan, Forrest, McGuffie, Moore

Do we need 3 right backs? I would rather have Moffat, Moore and bring another 2 striking options than have another right back.

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Do we need 3 right backs? I would rather have Moffat, Moore and bring another 2 striking options than have another right back.

Don’t want Ferguson or Geggan as starting right back although I suspect Ferguson will start the season as right back.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

He mentioned it on their thread vs QOTS. He also said Daniel Armstrong had signed for us a week before he signed for Ross County so you’re maybe right.

Agreed though. Unless he’s willing to change his name I don’t want him at the club.

What page can this be found on as I can’t be arsed trawling through 40+ pages looking.