The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

A centre half pairing of Euan Murray and Michael Doyle would be a considerable upgrade on any pairing we had this season.

Doyle looks like he's been a victim of his own versatility at Queens (playing him on the right wing being particularly peculiar) but he's been an absolute rock at centre half whenever we've played them. He's strong, aggressive, good in the air, seems like a great leader on the pitch and barely gave Shankland a sniff this season. He's superior to Muirhead in pretty much every way.

I think we're in trouble if we go into next season with David Ferguson as our first choice right back. He had a good spell at Dumbarton but to be honest I thought he looked like a player who'd found his level at a mid-table League 1 team.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
22 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:
Iain Davidson is an awful, awful football player.
Connor Murray has looked pretty decent anytime I’ve seen him. Michael Doyle has found his level at Queens. 

a player you'd be interested in?

:angel

I think we should he aiming higher than Michael Doyle. No disrespect to QoS when saying that.

If we want to kick on we need proven Championship players (ala Smith & Murdoch) or take a chance on some players released by Premier League clubs  (ala Harvie, Rose, Shankland etc.). I'm confident McCall will unearth some gems. 

I think we should he aiming higher than Michael Doyle. No disrespect to QoS when saying that.
If we want to kick on we need proven Championship players (ala Smith & Murdoch) or take a chance on some players released by Premier League clubs  (ala Harvie, Rose, Shankland etc.). I'm confident McCall will unearth some gems. 
Michael Doyle is a proven Championship player. He isn't the best defender in the division but could still do a job for any club in the league.

This is spot on! We should not be looking at the dreggs of players who we bellow our level most of last season we should be looking at guys from the Prem who have been released and with something to prove I see Regan Hendry has been let go by Celtic the Raith fans love him but seems a bit injury prone it's players like that though we should be looking for trying to unearth another Shankland or Rose

Queens fans getting really protective about a bunch of jobbers that seen them finish second bottom and a massive 16 (sixteen) points behind the Super. 
I'm not getting protective. I'm doubtful Doyle will even be a QoS player next season but to suggest he isn't a Championship level player is utter shite and I'm just pointing that out.

This is spot on! We should not be looking at the dreggs of players who we bellow our level most of last season we should be looking at guys from the Prem who have been released and with something to prove I see Regan Hendry has been let go by Celtic the Raith fans love him but seems a bit injury prone it's players like that though we should be looking for trying to unearth another Shankland or Rose

I get what you’re saying but there’s also guys in League One who’ve had stand out seasons and should be looking to step up a level. We should also be looking at experienced Championship players to surround younger, exciting guys.

The guys we’ve been linked with like Dom Thomas, Kyle Turner, Euan Murray have all had good seasons and naturally should be looking to move up a level. I don’t think we should ignore them just because they’re League One.

I agree re Hendry though. He seems to have done well but I think he tore his ACL. If he can get over it then I think he’d be a decent signing.

5 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I get what you’re saying but there’s also guys in League One who’ve had stand out seasons and should be looking to step up a level. We should also be looking at experienced Championship players to surround younger, exciting guys.

The guys we’ve been linked with like Dom Thomas, Kyle Turner, Euan Murray have all had good seasons and naturally should be looking to move up a level. I don’t think we should ignore them just because they’re League One.

I agree re Hendry though. He seems to have done well but I think he tore his ACL. If he can get over it then I think he’d be a decent signing.

I think the Raith boy was on the wind up regarding Euan Murray as there has been no mention of it on their thread. 

Anyhows, anyone who spells it Euan instead of Ewan is one for the watching imo. 

I think the Raith boy was on the wind up regarding Euan Murray as there has been no mention of it on their thread. 
Anyhows, anyone who spells it Euan instead of Ewan is one for the watching imo. 

He mentioned it on their thread vs QOTS. He also said Daniel Armstrong had signed for us a week before he signed for Ross County so you’re maybe right.

Agreed though. Unless he’s willing to change his name I don’t want him at the club.

Your also 100% right on this, guys like Turner would be a great addition a bit disrespectable of myself to say we only sign premiership players after one season in the top four I almost sound like a Falkirk fan or worse a Morten fan.

It takes all sorts to make a team, remember.

Livi showed that league 1 'jobbers' can also do a comfortable job in the top division, if organised and supported properly.

Jamie Adams, Andy geggan, Steven bell type players are crucial for success in this league, and with a sprinkling of young, hungry players you start to build the team. If you can unearth a gem like Lawrence then you're really flying.

They don't all have to be young superstars.

I think the issue will be competition for their signature. The guys D'Jaffo mentions will be hot property and if money is the differentiator we wont win. I do think we can point to the young players who have gone on to better things from us but money talks.

Just now, pandarilla said:

Jamie Adams, Andy geggan, Steven bell type players are crucial for success in this league, and with a sprinkling of young, hungry players you start to build the team. 

Are you suggesting we should re-sign all three of them? All north of 30 and all injury prone. If they are offered deals it should be pay as you play and as bench warmers.

46 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
3 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Dreggs of players? I reckon Doyle is better than Harvie and don’t forget many seem to be touting Ferguson for right back next season 

I think the issue will be competition for their signature. The guys D'Jaffo mentions will be hot property and if money is the differentiator we wont win. I do think we can point to the young players who have gone on to better things from us but money talks.
Are you suggesting we should re-sign all three of them? All north of 30 and all injury prone. If they are offered deals it should be pay as you play and as bench warmers.
No I was using them as an example of the type of steady, no frills players that help make up a successful team.

I can't see why we wouldn't keep bell, but Adams and geggan will be all about fitness. They're both very highly regarded by the supporters and I'm sure McCall will do the right thing (only those closely involved will know whether or not they've got another year in them at this level).

We shouldn't be turning our nose up at a steady pro from QoS if he can do a job for us.

If the AP is correct then we’ve already offered Adams that exact deal. I don’t think Bell will sign. He could easily play every week in League 1 for another season or 2. Geggan is probably the same but I think he’s happy at the club.

For the defence, if we sign up Adams or Bell, Geggan on top of Harvie, Ferguson, Muirhead and Ecrepont then I would say we should be adding 2 centre backs to that with one able to cover full back.

3 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

We shouldn't be turning our nose up at a steady pro from QoS if he can do a job for us.

Yeah, if you want to finish 8th! Thats not the limit of our ambition and I hope the board agree.

ETA - Signing a defender from a team who cannot defend cross balls does not strike me as a plan for success. Doyle is a definite no.

Edited by Trogdor