The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Wonder what'll happen to Moff's business if he doesn't sign on again. I think he uses Somerset as a base for his classes.

Depends where he goes really. I can’t see him wanting to have to move his family away again.

I think he’ll sign though.

Sorry to distract from what we all had for our dinner...

Just watching that Shankland video that was posted on the SRE (I didn’t have a lump in my throat, honest). Got me thinking, who’s the best player you’ve seen play for Ayr? There should be a wide range of ages here so it should be an interesting discussion.

It maybe sounds a bit knee jerk to say Shankland, but he is up there for me. I’m of the age where I only have very hazy memories of the Bill Barr era, so can’t really remember specifics about any players. It wasn’t until the two Rabs where I was old enough to take a proper interest, so I really am blessed that my footballing life largely coincides with the clubs shitest days.

I think the only one who’s up there with Shankland is Stevo - he really dragged us through games ala Shankland at times - so it’s probably between the two of them. I’d also give honourable mentions to Roberts and Moff in the 13/14 season. After that it really is slim pickings for someone my age.

Just watching that Shankland video that was posted on the SRE (I didn’t have a lump in my throat, honest). Got me thinking, who’s the best player you’ve seen play for Ayr? There should be a wide range of ages here so it should be an interesting discussion.
It maybe sounds a bit knee jerk to say Shankland, but he is up there for me. I’m of the age where I only have very hazy memories of the Bill Barr era, so can’t really remember specifics about any players. It wasn’t until the two Rabs where I was old enough to take a proper interest, so I really am blessed that my footballing life largely coincides with the clubs shitest days.
I think the only one who’s up there with Shankland is Stevo - he really dragged us through games ala Shankland at times - so it’s probably between the two of them. I’d also give honourable mentions to Roberts and Moff in the 13/14 season. After that it really is slim pickings for someone my age.

Shankland, Stevo and Moff are the only ones I’ve seen that I’ve been absolutely gutted when they left. And with the last 2 absolutely ecstatic when they came back.

But Shankland is the best I’ve seen at Ayr. Without a doubt.

The video that guy made was class as well.

I'm actually more gutted to see Michael Rose leaving over Shankland. And i'd be sick if Moffat doesn't get a new contract.
You've not watched the video.

Albion rovers away last year, and Dundee and Dundee United away were the biggest highlights for me. Huge goals. Incredible times.

Best player I've seen in an Ayr shirt? Absolutely loved watching John Sludden, Henry Templeton, Tommy Walker, Alan Horace, Duncan George, Mark Roberts, Dean Keenan, Ryan Stevenson, etc, but the entire teams of the last 2 years have been an absolute honour and a pleasure. Too many to pick anyone out as, when they clicked! Boy, did they click. Annan away in the Betfred cup gave me goosebumps!!!

My wife has just persuaded me to stop trying to get my wee boy to support one of the local teams and to let him be an Ayr fan (he's 4, still too wee for games, but I've been trying not to encourage it).

She's right. I just need to go with it, as it's genuine. Last week he told her that he wants pictures of Lawrence shankland on his birthday cake (which is four months away).

Today he told her that he knew who the first man on the moon was. When she asked him he says it was Ross Doohan (with a big grin on his face).

I'm sure he'll get into Dundee or United eventually, but for now I'm going to stop holding back and buy him some ayr merch.

Henry Templeton is one of the very few players that put a smile on my face watching, he could beat players, stop and go back to beat them again just for the sake of it, much like Kevin McCallister at Falkirk, an absolute joy to watch.  Horace was close in his brief spell.

Teale was close, very inconsistent but at his best he was one of the best. Hurst as well, like Shankland, could win a game on his own. Duncan George ran the midfield against Rangers in the Scottish cup, I'm sure he broke Terry Hurlocks ribs and Trevor Stevens toe in that game. He ran the midfield against John Collins v. Celtic until he dislocated his shoulder, the booming noise his tackles made was fantastic. Marvin Wilsons time at the club was all to brief. 

This season compared to Daziels title winning team is night and day, probably because Daziel used so many players and paid decent money for them.  This team feel like they have grown together. 

I have had many other heros in my time watching Ayr, Ferguson, Kerrigan, English, Sludden, Cally, Ross Scott, Cammy Duncan, Tommy Bryce, Malky Shotton.....but Shankland and Templeton have been the best, raw talent, gifted players I have seen. 

46 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

For me, Gary Teale is the best player we’ve had at Ayr over the last 30 years or so.  Played in the English premiership, in the English league cup final and won a good few caps for Scotland as well.  Sold for nearly 500k as well.  Was basically unplayable at championship level.  Time will tell if Shankland can be that good - certainly hope so.

My favourite Ayr 11(

(G)Hugh Sproat

(D) Rikki Fleming 

(D)Spud Murphy

(D)Ian McAllister

(D)Michael Rose

(M) Johnny Graham 

(M)Johnny Doyle (Wide)

(M) Ryan Stevenson

(M) Henry Templeton (Wide)

(F) Lawrence Shankland

(F)Glynn Hurst

Subs

George Watson 

Michael Moffat

Nicky Devlin

Jim Cowall

Gordon Crammond 

18 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

My wife has just persuaded me to stop trying to get my wee boy to support one of the local teams and to let him be an Ayr fan (he's 4, still too wee for games, but I've been trying not to encourage it).

She's right. I just need to go with it, as it's genuine. Last week he told her that he wants pictures of Lawrence shankland on his birthday cake (which is four months away).

Today he told her that he knew who the first man on the moon was. When she asked him he says it was Ross Doohan (with a big grin on his face).

I'm sure he'll get into Dundee or United eventually, but for now I'm going to stop holding back and buy him some ayr merch.

Just keep Dundee up your sleeve if he's misbehaving and Dundee United if he's really bad.