The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

In that case the ball is firmly in the boards court. Sounds like McCall has guys in mind that he wants to bring in and if they go elsewhere it’s the boards fault.

I’d be ok giving Adams a pay as you play deal. Isn’t that what Martyn Campbell had in his last season?

Aye, interestingly enough I think this is the first time since he’s joined that McCall has had a dig at the board. He’s clearly ambitious and wants to take us to the prem but is unsure if the board will give him funds to do this. 

Hopefully a reasonable compromise is done ASAP to allow us to build a squad for next season. 

Wonder if what McCall is saying about budget is directly linked to the new increased prices for next season getting released. Going by what he's said in the aftermath of Saturday i think he's for leaving, cba with a huge rebuild job and probably aware that we'll be in a relegation scrap next season. At the end of the day he's the man who knows what's going on behind the scenes for next season and i have the fear that it's not going to be pretty. 

Was an interesting quote at the end of the article today to do with the tickets saying "if we want to continue to compete in the Championship we have to bring our pricing up closer to the other, established teams in the league" 

7 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

The old zoomers amongst the support are going to be raging at all this new fangled pish.

Aye pure fucking raging. Gordon Sawers levels of raging

It's cool though. We'll just take our frustrations out on our ungrateful teenage kids, by changing the broadband password so they can't spout shite on the internet.

Will an extra £1 make a huge difference to the budget in reality? Dunfermline's Chairman said they only make something like £11-12 per ticket once matchday costs / tax are taken into account. So it's probably worth about £500 per week / £1k per home game to us if our crowd hovers around the 2k mark. 

With any luck a good first season back up will help Mr Miller increase his commercial revenue via sponsors as well. Surely given all the TV time we had last season we will be a more attractive proposal on that front. 

12 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

The old zoomers amongst the support are going to be raging at all this new fangled pish.

I work in the finance industry and know exactly how all this technology works (or doesn't work as the case sometimes can be), however I still maintain that putting your hand in your pocket and handing over a £20 note isn't really a hardship and is in fact far simpler than buggering about with your mobile phone, selecting an app and then scanning it in the hope that the reader is working ok.

Of course, that doesn't suit the narrative that we're all being fed so nobody will ever say it as it really is.

On the plus side, it is better from a security perspective at local level as there should be no cash handling by the turnstile operators and it should also be far simpler from an HMRC perspective for the club, so that's my balanced opinion on it.

Anyway, happy enough with the price increase and will be straight in there for a season ticket and then I won't have too worry / moan about the E-Vouchers !!!

16 hours ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

A £40 increase on the season ticket is a bit steep. 

it would have been a good bit more had you been promoted! I was £340 when I renewed last week, which I thought was decent value to be fair. Think it goes up to £370 at end of May. I think we had just over 4,000 season ticket holders last season, hopefully get over 4,500 this year.

£260 for Ayr is decent IMO, especially when the PATG is £18.

Folk compare season tickets up here to down south but fact is that clubs up here rely on actual fans through the gates whereas down south clubs could play in empty stadiums and still make money due to TV.

Sickening.

21 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I work in the finance industry and know exactly how all this technology works (or doesn't work as the case sometimes can be), however I still maintain that putting your hand in your pocket and handing over a £20 note isn't really a hardship and is in fact far simpler than buggering about with your mobile phone, selecting an app and then scanning it in the hope that the reader is working ok.

Of course, that doesn't suit the narrative that we're all being fed so nobody will ever say it as it really is.

On the plus side, it is better from a security perspective at local level as there should be no cash handling by the turnstile operators and it should also be far simpler from an HMRC perspective for the club, so that's my balanced opinion on it.

Anyway, happy enough with the price increase and will be straight in there for a season ticket and then I won't have too worry / moan about the E-Vouchers !!!

I don’t see any issue with moving to a cashless entry system to be honest. Got to virtually any major event and you’ll need to buy a ticket in advance, there aren’t many that accept cash on the door now. 

All the major gig venues now offer e-ticketing, yes some of our older supporters may need to arrive a wee bit earlier to buy a ticket from the shop  but it’s a small sacrifice.

I’d imagine the time taken to count gate receipts, the hassle of taking cash to the bank plus the security of holding it until Monday and the risk of theft from the turnstile operation all add up. Not to mention bank charges for depositing cash.

i would be interested to know what the deal is with the ticketing company, how much of a cut they take, I’d presume it’s a small % of each transaction.

2 minutes ago, Hazbart said:

I don’t see any issue with moving to a cashless entry system to be honest. Got to virtually any major event and you’ll need to buy a ticket in advance, there aren’t many that accept cash on the door now. 

All the major gig venues now offer e-ticketing, yes some of our older supporters may need to arrive a wee bit earlier to buy a ticket from the shop  but it’s a small sacrifice.

I’d imagine the time taken to count gate receipts, the hassle of taking cash to the bank plus the security of holding it until Monday and the risk of theft from the turnstile operation all add up. Not to mention bank charges for depositing cash.

i would be interested to know what the deal is with the ticketing company, how much of a cut they take, I’d presume it’s a small % of each transaction.

£1 a ticket? :1eye

4 minutes ago, Hazbart said:

As I said, from the clubs perspective it's a good move (that's why they're doing it), however my argument is more around it being "better" for the paying customer.

Similarly, anyone going to their local Tesco has much more hassle scanning their own gear and having to deal with spot checks etc as opposed to just wandering over to a manned till where the till assistant will efficiently scan and pack your groceries for you.

We're basically all being taken for mugs with a narrative that it's a benefit to the consumer when the reality is that it's more cost effective for the company as they can cut down on staffing and pension provisions.

Cynical ?

Indeed I am.

As I said, from the clubs perspective it's a good move (that's why they're doing it), however my argument is more around it being "better" for the paying customer.
Similarly, anyone going to their local Tesco has much more hassle scanning their own gear and having to deal with spot checks etc as opposed to just wandering over to a manned till where the till assistant will efficiently scan and pack your groceries for you.
We're basically all being taken for mugs with a narrative that it's a benefit to the consumer when the reality is that it's more cost effective for the company as they can cut down on staffing and pension provisions.
Cynical ?
Indeed I am.

It’s beneficial for both the club and the fans. Fact.

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

It’s beneficial for both the club and the fans. Fact.

In what way is it factually "beneficial" for the fans ?

Don't get me wrong, I don't really want to get into a protracted argument about this, however I fail to see how handing over £18 / £12 at a gate is in any way a hardship for anyone where I can see how using "E-Technology" may indeed be a hardship for some of our more elderly supporters.

In what way is it factually "beneficial" for the fans ?
Don't get me wrong, I don't really want to get into a protracted argument about this, however I fail to see how handing over £18 / £12 at a gate is in any way a hardship for anyone where I can see how using "E-Technology" may indeed be a hardship for some of our more elderly supporters.

They’re not taking the option of cash away. Simply buy a ticket at the ground and they’ll give you a ticket to take to the turnstiles.

Lot of people I know though that don’t carry cash. What with contactless card payments theres no real need to. Going to the football is the only time you’d really need to go and lift money. For those guys it’s just quicker to get in.

Basically if done properly the whole thing should run a lot quicker.

They use this ticketing system at murrayfield, and it works well there. Folk get through the turnstiles quicker and with less staff. Plus I can usually buy a ticket as I’m walking to an Edinburgh game and it’s far quicker than queuing at the ticket office.

Also, most folk don’t use cash any more. It all contactless and phone payments now; I’m always having to remember to get cash out (or cadge off my old man). It’s just moving with the times really, change is always tricky but it probably will work out easier.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

They’re not taking the option of cash away. Simply buy a ticket at the ground and they’ll give you a ticket to take to the turnstiles.

Lot of people I know though that don’t carry cash. What with contactless card payments theres no real need to. Going to the football is the only time you’d really need to go and lift money. For those guys it’s just quicker to get in.

Basically if done properly the whole thing should run a lot quicker.

I do see your point but again that's just a convenience thing for those who can't be bothered to carry cash.

On the flip side, those coming from the Prestwick / Newton side are having to walk around to the club shop and then pay for a ticket before joining a queue to get through a gate, when currently they just walk straight up to the turnstile, hand over their £11 / £17 and walk straight in the ground.

Make no mistake, this WILL be a major inconvenience for many of our elderly supporters as many of them don't even have a mobile phone or a computer and "e-ticketing" is completely alien to them.

5 minutes ago, super_carson said:

They use this ticketing system at murrayfield, and it works well there. Folk get through the turnstiles quicker and with less staff. Plus I can usually buy a ticket as I’m walking to an Edinburgh game and it’s far quicker than queuing at the ticket office.

Also, most folk don’t use cash any more. It all contactless and phone payments now; I’m always having to remember to get cash out (or cadge off my old man). It’s just moving with the times really, change is always tricky but it probably will work out easier.

This just isn't true though. Maybe the younger generations in the larger towns / city's this is the case, however for people living in rural areas cash is still a must.

In my own town our local Bakers and Butchers are "cash only" and in actual fact I noticed only this morning that "Patisserie Valerie" in Glasgow Central had a large sign up stating "cash transactions only".

Without trying to come across as a dick here, but my job is actually accountancy and settlement of ATM and Point Of Sale transactions for a major Bank and I can assure you that there are still many more people using cash than there are cards across the whole country, despite what it may appear.

I’m perhaps getting my chip and pin v contactless confused, then.

Nonetheless, one group of folk will be inconvenienced. Personally I’m all for it as I would suggest the majority of folk at games will be fine with the e-ticket approach - there’s probably going to be a bedding in period but it seems to work well for other clubs and sports.

Few points on the new system and pricing:

Right move. Times are changing and we don’t want to be left behind. It will save money on season books, easier renewal etc. Easier access to the ground. How many times do we rock up to the cash gets with notes and they operators have ran out of change etc.  Folk can still rock up with cash and buy a ticket, won’t add much time onto their day.

Pricing is good. We need to get extra cash in to compete and it’s not that much on top of what we pay. Personally I would have just upped it to the £20. When I’m handing over a note for the entrance fee, I just think the change could is as well going to the club. I usually still need to burst another note for food and drink anyway. 

£260 for a ST is great value. Roughly £14.50 a match you’re paying. With the new system and using bar code season tickets, I think a Direct Debit season ticket would be ideal. 10 months of payments, but add a bit extra onto the payment since you’re not paying upfront. Say 10 payments of £28 meaning you’re ticket is costing you £280. That’s £15.50 a game. If someone was to cancel their payments then the barcode can be cancelled and they can be blacklisted from buying again. 

Hopefully if we get a month like April again, we could look at doing deals. A 4 home match month for example, block buy for say £68 and you’re getting a pound off each match or so.

Hopefully something for our board to look at.

Edited by callum-ayr