The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

11 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

As Ayr fans I think we all know enough about the club at this stage to know the answer to that question.

I'd actually thought he'd know the budget for next season at this stage anyway and has known for a few weeks at least.

We do but we also know our ground will soon be surrounded by houses.

The club need to be sensible and budget for what is sustainable and try to build up the infrastructure a bit further in terms of coaching staff, physios etc. As others have said we should be expecting to be above the part time teams and budget that reflects that but not go crazy. Hopefully at least able to match likes of Morton and QOTS. There will be 2 of ICT, St Mirren and Dundee utd.  Dundee will be decent and I get feeling Partick will be lot stronger. So in a great year maybe we can pip one of those for 4th.  I would say we need to offer security and stability and offer a few more 2 year contracts or at least offering a 2nd year before it gets to January.  Make effective use of the reserve team and make sure those doing well there get an opportunity. Next season I think needs to be part of a longer plan to ensure we are an established championship team. You only need to be in top 40% to make play offs so if we can have that stability we can realistically feel we can get there again every few years.  This year has been great but its first year in 16 years we have stayed up in 2nd tier we need to make it work on a steady basis. 

12 hours ago, Hawk89 said:

Would fancy our chances of making the playoffs again as reading between the lines of the Dunfermline chairman's statement on their website they aren't far off getting the buckets out again. 

Not quite. 

Us cutting our budget would still mean us having a larger budget than Ayr, providing we spend it well, unlike last season I'd imagine we'd be hoping to finish above Ayr. 

Likewise Partick will hope to have there shit together, and they'll still have a parachute payment from the Spfl. Conversely Inverness will have to make cuts if they don't go up. You can't rule out Morton entirely, budget wise they'll be similar to you, if they hit a goldmine of a player ala Shankland they'll be wanting the playoffs. 

Getting into them will be mega competitive as always, for Ayr to get in your hoping a team with a bigger budget fucks up. 

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Not quite. 

Us cutting our budget would still mean us having a larger budget than Ayr, providing we spend it well, unlike last season I'd imagine we'd be hoping to finish above Ayr. 

Likewise Partick will hope to have there shit together, and they'll still have a parachute payment from the Spfl. Conversely Inverness will have to make cuts if they don't go up. You can't rule out Morton entirely, budget wise they'll be similar to you, if they hit a goldmine of a player ala Shankland they'll be wanting the playoffs. 

Getting into them will be mega competitive as always, for Ayr to get in your hoping a team with a bigger budget fucks up. 

A team like Dunfermline would do nicely.

I've mentioned this before but the level we're currently playing at and our current home support is in fact the "good times", the "bad times" are when we're sitting in League 1 playing in front of 900 fans and struggling to make a play off spot.

There's too many people looking at the past and attempting to rewrite history, if Ayr can consolidate in the top 16 - 18 clubs in Scotland (which is where we've just ended up) and regularly play in front of 2,500 to 3,000 crowds then we are in fact doing great, especially as we don't have any rich benefactor bank rolling us or alternatively living outwith our means and heading for an administration.

Don't get me wrong, if we can indeed consolidate, keep playing attractive football and have relative success, then there's absolutely no reason why we can't add another 500 - 800 to our regular home gate, especially as the young generation seem to have been attracted back to the club at the moment.

I've also said this before but we need to enjoy this as it's a great time to be an Ayr fan............................

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

I've mentioned this before but the level we're currently playing at and our current home support is in fact the "good times", the "bad times" are when we're sitting in League 1 playing in front of 900 fans and struggling to make a play off spot.

There's too many people looking at the past and attempting to rewrite history, if Ayr can consolidate in the top 16 - 18 clubs in Scotland (which is where we've just ended up) and regularly play in front of 2,500 to 3,000 crowds then we are in fact doing great, especially as we don't have any rich benefactor bank rolling us or alternatively living outwith our means and heading for an administration.

Don't get me wrong, if we can indeed consolidate, keep playing attractive football and have relative success, then there's absolutely no reason why we can't add another 500 - 800 to our regular home gate, especially as the young generation seem to have been attracted back to the club at the moment.

I've also said this before but we need to enjoy this as it's a great time to be an Ayr fan............................

Just to let you know, the great time finished on Saturday afternoon, atm we're now back to aiming for 8th, if McCall or someone else is here with a budget to compete with the rest then the great times will resume, until then we're in the same position as Morton and all the other diddies, we really need to stop this nonsense about it being a great season, it wasn't, it was a great 1/4 of a season followed by an ok 3/4 of a season.

Just to let you know, the great time finished on Saturday afternoon, atm we're now back to aiming for 8th, if McCall or someone else is here with a budget to compete with the rest then the great times will resume, until then we're in the same position as Morton and all the other diddies, we really need to stop this nonsense about it being a great season, it wasn't, it was a great 1/4 of a season followed by an ok 3/4 of a season.

Finishing 4th is a great season.

11 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I don't agree. Even the matches that we lost we weren't outclassed or destroyed which is something I can't say about matches in this division / equivalent division over the past 30 years.

With the exception of the Barr years where we were the big boys signing all the top players at this level, we've for the most part been a bottom 4 or 5 side where sneaking a home draw with a Falkirk or Partick was deemed to be a good result.

We all tend to look back on the past and only remember the good times, however even when we had Duncan George or Stevie Evans or Ross Scott snapping into challenges or the likes of Sammy Johnston running the show or big Ally Graham or Tommy Bryce, Tommy Walker, Stevie Kerrigan etc banging in goals or Henry Templeton destroying full backs, we were still struggling and often were on the wrong side of a good cuffing.

I stick by my statement that this has been one of the best seasons in living memory..........

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

Finishing 4th is a great season.

Doesn't mean the whole season was great, if the whole season was great far more of the less regular fanbase would have hung around, after November it was pretty much same old same old to those that hadn't frequented Somerset regularly over recent years, for the rest it was exciting because we'd been that shite for so long, I'm certainly not looking to head back to whence we came.

13 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Rose, Smith and Shankland 100% away, Crawford has other options and McCall is still to speak to Doohan, no news on anybody else as of yet.

I'd probably keep Crawford if easy to deal with but certainly wouldn't go begging either him or the likes of McDaid to stay.

Doohan is the 100% must keep priority for me and if we get him back then I'm sure there's plenty more outfield players out there well within our budget who're capable of doing a job for us.

Personally I'd like to see us sign a strong, fast athletic type forward, (along the lines of Nathan Austin at Caley) as I do feel that's the type of player who would fit into our setup and who we've been missing.

Over to you now Senor McCall..................

15 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Crawford and McDaid are always the last to re-sign. Be surprised if Crawford does considering McCall thought he wouldn't for this season

The thing is though, where do these guys go that will be offering much better terms than what they've got ?

Dunfermline or Falkirk might have been an option prior to one heading for financial strife and the other dropping down to League 1. Apart from them, Morton or QOS wouldn't be an improvement which maybe leaves only the likes of Partick as a potential option ?

Other than them, maybe a Hamilton or St.Mirren would take a chance but I really don't see them going much higher than this and of course these teams don't even know what league they'll be in next season.

A dangerous game these boys could be playing...........

No real surprises - we knew those 3 were away anyway, and unusally for us we had already announced 3 players not having their contracts renewed and also extended 3 or 4 contracts before season end.   

As everyone has said, the big sweat will be the keeper and as it's a loan deal from a big club we will probably be in a similar position to last season where we will be quite close to the Betfred games starting before we know if we are getting Doohan back. 

1 hour ago, Hursty said:

No real surprises - we knew those 3 were away anyway, and unusally for us we had already announced 3 players not having their contracts renewed and also extended 3 or 4 contracts before season end.   

As everyone has said, the big sweat will be the keeper and as it's a loan deal from a big club we will probably be in a similar position to last season where we will be quite close to the Betfred games starting before we know if we are getting Doohan back. 

I wonder how much of that will depend on what Gordon does at Celtic?  If he's done, Celtic may want to keep Doohan around but I don't see him being near their match day squad just yet.  Given how well he's progressed so far, I'd like to think he'd like to stay at Ayr.  The flip side is, of course, he would be want to play Prem football but I'm not sure how many clubs would have an on-loan 19/20 year old as their first choice (especially when you can't use him at least 3 games a season).  Only other option is he may end up on loan down south, depending on an in-coming manager and their relative connections.  

8 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

A £40 increase on the season ticket is a bit steep. 

Sounds ok to me, hopefully the food and drink prices go up nearer the other Championship sides as well.