The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Disagree. The Rangers will surely just buy the finished article like they always do, especially if they are serious about challenging Celtic for next years title.

Much as he has done a great job in the Championship, I don't think Shankland is quite that yet. Maybe in a year or two. Can't see that move, and if it happens would not expect him to have more than a bit part to play next season there. Much better for his development to head south.

Edited by Yid_in_Exiile

Disagree. The Rangers will surely just buy the finished article like they always do, especially if they are serious about challenging Celtic for next years title.
Much as he has done a great job in the Championship, I don't think Shankland is quite that yet. Maybe in a year or two. Can't see that move, and if it happens would not expect him to have more than a bit part to play next season there. Much better for his development to head south.

Sign for Rangers and loaned back to us [emoji106]

8 hours ago, WATTOO said:

With the two part time sides of Alloa & Arbroath in the league we would realistically be expected to finish above them and of course both QOS and Morton have similar budgets to ourselves so again we should be hoping / expecting to finish above them also.

Apart from the players mentioned, we have also re-signed the majority of our squad from last season and will of course have funds in place to bring in replacements for those leaving, so all in all we should be aiming once again for the play offs as an attainable target.

Think we'll all be safe staying up next year to be honest.

Talking of season tickets, the club need to doing their best to shift as many as possible next season. Capitalise on the feeling of optimism amongst the support just now and get them up for sale now, with an early bird or discount offer and let's sell as many as we can. Think what we could achieve if we had the 4000+ crowds that Dunfermline and Falkirk were getting.

We're nowhere near that unfortunately. I can't really understand why, but it is what it is. If the last 18 months haven't got more locals interested in our club then nothing will. We just have to keep plugging away with what we have, and try to build as many links with the local community as possible. There's certainly no magic bullet to bigger crowds.
With the two part time sides of Alloa & Arbroath in the league we would realistically be expected to finish above them and of course both QOS and Morton have similar budgets to ourselves so again we should be hoping / expecting to finish above them also.
Apart from the players mentioned, we have also re-signed the majority of our squad from last season and will of course have funds in place to bring in replacements for those leaving, so all in all we should be aiming once again for the play offs as an attainable target.
Again I'm a wee bit nervous about over optimism. From November our form has been that of relegation, and it was an explosive shankland early in the season that did much of the damage.

We almost certainly won't have that kind of positive run, but the same can't be said about the bad run. The existence of two part-time teams in the league obviously help us, but we can take nothing for granted.

Football can turn around very, very quickly.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

From November our form has been that of relegation, and it was an explosive shankland early in the season that did much of the damage.

Not sure this is strictly true. First game against each opponent we were on title chasing form. Second time through we were still picking up enough points that would have seen us challenge for second projected over the season. The third game against each team we were bad like Falkirk - on pace for points in the mid thirties, but fourth time through we were on pace for points in the mid forties which would have been comfortably safe. Not sure that uptick was really recognised.

Not sure this is strictly true. First game against each opponent we were on title chasing form. Second time through we were still picking up enough points that would have seen us challenge for second projected over the season. The third game against each team we were bad like Falkirk - on pace for points in the mid thirties, but fourth time through we were on pace for points in the mid forties which would have been comfortably safe. Not sure that uptick was really recognised.
The third time round was horrendous, so yes there was a slight improvement at the end.

But this relegation contest was a strong one, with no-one set adrift.

After 30th November (that glorious night) we were really poor. We got a few draws, then defeats, then Talbot.

After that we won two good games (alloa and Dundee United) but still poor as well. There was a genuine concern we would fall out the playoffs, before scraping a couple of wins late on.

Has McCall secured his title chasing budget yet?
Thought we'd have heard something squad related today.

I’d be guessing we’ll get something relating to the squad on Wednesday.

Will McCall come out and say if he’s got a budget to challenge for the league? He’d be putting a fair bit of pressure on himself.

8 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’d be guessing we’ll get something relating to the squad on Wednesday.

Will McCall come out and say if he’s got a budget to challenge for the league? He’d be putting a fair bit of pressure on himself.

If he doesn't I'm sure we'll be reminded of it throughout the season

Spoiler

He won't get it.

8 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If he doesn’t he’ll probably leave.

And rightfully so, With the likes of Dunfermline and Morton having budget cuts we have a big chance to make a push for the title/top 4. 

Hopefully Dundee United go up at the expense of Hamilton and the league will be wide open next season. 

And rightfully so, With the likes of Dunfermline and Morton having budget cuts we have a big chance to make a push for the title/top 4. 
Hopefully Dundee United go up at the expense of Hamilton and the league will be wide open next season. 

For arguments sake let’s assume Dundee Utd go up against St Mirren (I think they’re more likely than Accies atm). And Queens keep Raith down.

You’ve got a league of

Alloa
Arbroath
Ayr
Dundee
Dunfermline
ICT
Morton
Partick
St Mirren
Queen of the South

With a bit of investment and smart signings from McCall there’s a chance we could make another push for the playoffs. I think the title is out of reach but the playoffs aren’t.

McCall knows the limitations of the club better than anybody, I'm surprised he even brought it up.  With him talking about having his ambition back I wouldn't be surprised if he's saying that as a prelude to leaving, with a heavy heart of course.

24 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

McCall knows the limitations of the club better than anybody, I'm surprised he even brought it up.  With him talking about having his ambition back I wouldn't be surprised if he's saying that as a prelude to leaving, with a heavy heart of course.

Why is anyone surprised, the question needs asked, we've bumbled along for 15 years and this season has just reignited the appetite of quite a few fans.

Edited by ayrmad

Why is anyone surprised, the question needs asked, we've bumbled along for 15 years and this season has just reignited the appetite of quite a few fans.
As Ayr fans I think we all know enough about the club at this stage to know the answer to that question.

I'd actually thought he'd know the budget for next season at this stage anyway and has known for a few weeks at least.