The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

He's right though, no more of this consolidation or finishing 8th pish. I'm sure the budget can be increased for next season, although not to the level McCall wants. I certainly don't want the club to embark on a Barr type spree. I hope everyone at the club has learned a lot from this season, especially from their mistakes (hiya Ian), and this puts us on a better footing for next season.

Not much really new there from McCall. He says similar things at the same time each season. At the end of the season he calls the directors out for more budget. Once a ball has been kicked he will start asking the fans to attend more as he can’t chin the chairman for extra money. Irrespective it’s been a great season from him and hopefully we can kick on to establish ourselves at this level. The promotion talk is a big shout as difficult for a club of our size. As witnessed this season any good players we find are likely to be attracted by bigger pay days elsewhere 

Not much really new there from McCall. He says similar things at the same time each season. At the end of the season he calls the directors out for more budget. Once a ball has been kicked he will start asking the fans to attend more as he can’t chin the chairman for extra money. Irrespective it’s been a great season from him and hopefully we can kick on to establish ourselves at this level. The promotion talk is a big shout as difficult for a club of our size. As witnessed this season any good players we find are likely to be attracted by bigger pay days elsewhere 

I don’t think he asked for a bigger budget this season. If anything he prioritised keeping the players we had over bringing new guys in.

This was the first time as Ayr manager I can ever remember him saying that the board need to back us. He’s never called them out to back him before.

Always thought there was a decent player hiding in Fraser Fyvie and after his release by DU, he’d be exactly the type that McCall could get the best out of.

Heading to Cove I think. Injuries have fucked him.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t think he asked for a bigger budget this season. If anything he prioritised keeping the players we had over bringing new guys in.

This was the first time as Ayr manager I can ever remember him saying that the board need to back us. He’s never called them out to back him before.

About going full time

About going full time

That’s different.

Today was about questioning whether the club could match his ambitions of going up. To do that he needs a bigger budget than he’s ever had and will probably need 2 seasons to make it work. The FT transition was always likely from the moment he stepped in the door but came as a surprise as we’d just been relegated.

I don’t think McCall has ever questioned Cameron or the boards ambition, he’s always said how grateful he was to them but today it sounds like he’ll be sitting down to gauge how committed and ambitious they really are.

That’s different.

Today was about questioning whether the club could match his ambitions of going up. To do that he needs a bigger budget than he’s ever had and will probably need 2 seasons to make it work. The FT transition was always likely from the moment he stepped in the door but came as a surprise as we’d just been relegated.

I don’t think McCall has ever questioned Cameron or the boards ambition, he’s always said how grateful he was to them but today it sounds like he’ll be sitting down to gauge how committed and ambitious they really are.
And that is music to my ears.

To have a capable, ambititious and experienced manager? Every team in this division would take McCall.

Part of the whole step forward will be putting the right infrastructure at the club.

Starting with a commercial team, tasked and targeted (and rewarded) for getting more income into the club.

We need to ramp up every ounce of potential income but it needs investment in headcount and a proper strategy to begin with.

We need professionals out there selling the club to everyone and anyone who will listen.

I'm ready when you are Lachlan.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

That’s different.

It’s not different at all. He kept calling out about full time football after not being able to attract potential signings plus a spate of injuries. Both these things were hampering his goal of keeping or establishing Ayr as a championship club

Didn't McCall say in a few of his pre season interviews that the target this season, with the squad he had, had to be the playoffs? Pretty sure he did. It's another thing he likes to hedge his bets on. Like when he goes on about clubs having bigger budgets, but then says none of that matters on match day when it's 11 v 11

It’s not different at all. He kept calling out about full time football after not being able to attract potential signings plus a spate of injuries. Both these things were hampering his goal of keeping or establishing Ayr as a championship club
Wasn't it his decision not to go ft the last time we were in the Championship?

Yes, I’m pretty sure he wanted to try and keep us up whilst PT with a view to going FT after a year.

He certainly wasn’t continually going about going FT.

Anyway it remains to be seen if McCall gets what he wants but I’m pleased he’s not letting the departures of a few key players dampen his ambition.

3 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:
7 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Yes his original idea was to attract the best part time players. By the end of the season it had changed as we were at a disadvantage 

McCall to me signifying that he's had early talks with the board about next season and they've said he'll get 'x' amount which he probably knows would only be good enough for 8th.

However McCall has obviously had the taste of how well we've achieved this season and agonisingly close we came to promotion so is desperate to take us to the next step next year.

Unsurprisingly from the outside looks as if McCall has more ambition than the board, in saying that though the only way we'd be able to fund a title challenge next season without a large handout from Cameron would be with fresh investment, which is unlikely. Cameron may be tempted to trust McCall with a big budget for next season though with the millions you'd get being in the premiership, only way he'd see his money back.

On Devlin and Shankland a nice touch however would probably only work if McCall was still around and would take a guess that McCall was inquiring to Devlin about his availability for next season.

2 minutes ago, ftk said:

Heard next season turnstiles will be going cashless. Can only buy tickets online or in shop.

Would make sense cause they're always struggling for folk to work the turnstiles.