The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I see David Mitchell has been let go by Falkirk, wouldn’t be adverse to having him back if we can’t get Ross Doohan. 

Did he not leave us on bad terms? Mind you he seems to be unhappy with the way Falkirk have chucked him so maybe he’s the problem rather than the club.

I always thought he was decent for Stranraer so might be worth a punt.

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Did he not leave us on bad terms? Mind you he seems to be unhappy with the way Falkirk have chucked him so maybe he’s the problem rather than the club.

I always thought he was decent for Stranraer so might be worth a punt.

I’m not sure as it was a while back but I think there might of been a muck up in his registration which allowed him to leave for free (rather than us getting compo). 

15 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I’m not sure as it was a while back but I think there might of been a muck up in his registration which allowed him to leave for free (rather than us getting compo). 

There was a bizarre rant on the old Honestpage from either his dad or someone close to the family complaining that Ayr missed the deadline to offer him a contract, he was wanting to stay at Ayr and the club was a shambles.

Surely he would have just rejected the deal from Stranraer.

He's a bombscare keeper

I'm not sure what to make of that - part of me thinks he is talking specifically about Ayr, almost as if he's saying that he thinks the club has the potential to be at the top end of the league.  It could also be an attempt to coerce the club into investing more in the playing side of things.    I'm not sure if he's talking seriously about moving on,  given he's re-signed players for next year and has previously spoken about his plans for the playing squad for next year and the type of club he wants Ayr to be.   Also, his comments about Shankland and Devlin were nice, and the part about where he would be was probably more in reference to the fact he's hoping they both have long careers rather than his immediate plans. 

I like the fact he has ambition, I still think he's the right fit for Ayr and he should be given licence to try and build something.  Finishing 8th every season isn't what he talked about before, he wants to consolidate Ayr's place in the league and start to challenge at the top.  Experience is needed, arguably a larger squad too, and that all costs money - probably what he is angling for.  

Go have a rest, Mr McCall.  You've earned it.  

Sorry to see the way it's turned out for Ayr in the end. I was at the league winning game a year ago and despite being soaked to the skin I really enjoyed it. Probably punched above your weight in the championship until injuries kicked in but I was hoping you could make it through these play offs....although not at the expense of my lot who may well be joining you next season primarily thanks to Alan fucking Stubbs!!

On reflection, looking from the outside, i'd say you should be proud of your team and what you've achieved this season and hopefully you keep McCall and consolidate and go for it next season. I've been to a good few Ayr games since moving here from Paisley 12 years ago  and always like to see you do well. All my fellow St Mirren fans I know love games down here but i'm just hoping that wont be next season.

Is McCall getting his story together so when he leaves in a week or two he’s got the excuse of the board not backing him to use or is he genuinely making plans to get us promoted?

If it’s the latter and he feels it’s possible then the board should consider backing him. The question is how much would he need to spend and how long do you give him to achieve this goal.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If it’s the latter and he feels it’s possible then the board should consider backing him. The question is how much would he need to spend and how long do you give him to achieve this goal.

My argument, and possibly McCall's, would be that if this is what he can achieve with relatively limited means then he probably should be someone we trust with investment to get to the top end.   Perhaps it needs to be a calculated risk from McCall and the board.

I’m guessing we’ll hear by next week who’s getting released and if McCall stays I’m presuming he’ll be backed accordingly.

Feels strange to hear an Ayr manager say his aim for the club is to get them into the Premiership but we’ll have to wait and see.