The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

No chance we’d have won the league last season without him signing in January.   But then people who criticise Bell are often the same numpties that scapegoat Crawford whenever things aren’t going well.

I agree wrt last season. (You can also say the same for Kerr.) Bell is a bit like marmite, you either love him or hate him.

For me, he is terrible in the air and has a penchant for always being under the ball and is good for conceeding a penalty. I thank him for his service but would move him on, hes no Andy Graham and we punted him! 

In rugby, it seems now that 2 bad concussions equals retirement.

Football doesn’t seem to have the same understanding or protocols when it comes to concussions, symptoms can last for several months and even years. One of my teammates received a concussion 18 months ago and hasn’t played since.

It probably can weigh on Moore’s mind, perhaps why he’s moved away from the physical side of his game. When he got mortal kombatted in the Raith game, I was worried that that was him done.

If he was happy to stay on a 6 month prove yourself deal, I’d be happy to have him.

Moore would do well for a FT team in league one next season, it'd be a good move for him but he's a McCall favourite so expect him to be our starting 9 next season.

Every season we expect Crawford to move on and he doesn't. He's another McCall favourite so wouldn't surprise me if he signs on again with a bump in wages. I really don't think him or McDaid will be inundated with bigger and better offers.

35 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I agree wrt last season. (You can also say the same for Kerr.) Bell is a bit like marmite, you either love him or hate him.

For me, he is terrible in the air and has a penchant for always being under the ball and is good for conceeding a penalty. I thank him for his service but would move him on, hes no Andy Graham and we punted him! 

That’s what puzzles me.  If I was making a list of the top 10 centre backs I’ve seen over the years at Ayr, Bell certainly wouldn’t trouble it.  But at the same time, he’s been dependable enough that some of the criticism seems way over the top.  I agree he isn’t great in the air (neither is Rose) but I would still maintain he is the only centre back we have who seems to know how to organise a back 4.

Given we are looking at a major re-build for next season, retaining a few steady Eddie types like him, Moffat and probably Geggan would seem like a good idea.

For the record, Malky Shotton would be top of my list

I’d def be keeping Moff, Bell, Geggan and  Kerr but would be heavily weighing the last 2’s contracts on appearances.

Whilst Bell is unspectacular he is dependable and versatile. Geggan is also versatile, able to play in midfield or right back. I expect David Ferguson will return and claim the RB spot so Geggan is a useful backup.

What all 4 of those guys give us is experience and will be good to have around the club.

Ross docherty has to step up as a starter. Club captain, not old, he should be looking to emulate Murdoch.

Mcguffie back will be make or break time, with Forrest also being vital in attack.

McCowan looks very good, and I'd definitely keep moff if he wants to stay.

An overhaul would be insane. McCall builds everything around squad morale, and in recent years it's worked a treat.

Hang on to who we have, and desperately try to wheel and deal to replace them. I always fear the worst in life but we could be battling to stay in the division next year. There's very little to tell us that we'll be challenging for the promotion playoffs again.

13 hours ago, super_carson said:

I can see why Moore would go, but I can also see why he may stay...McCall is a big fan, he’s had an injury ravaged season and there may not be a huge queue of clubs lined up for him. Plus, McCall could see him as the replacement for Shankland. He’s not hit the net much at all this year but he’s also hardly played. Depends how much he would cost in a wage, really.

I like Moore, I like his effort and that head knock fucked him. Thought he was going to come on to a game last season but the emergence of Shankland put paid to that. I’d be happy if he stayed, as a chance to prove himself or used as backup but not as the main striker.

We sponsor Moore, he said he would ideally stay.  

9 hours ago, Superhursy7 said:

I'm I the only one who is skeptical about Doolan potentially signing he's what 33 now hasn't exactly set the heather on fire this season and is being released by a club we beat 4 out of 5 times this season maybe as a back up or a plan B from the bench but not as direct replacement for Shankland we should be looking at younger guys in that 21 to 23 year our bracket with something to prove.

I thought he looked finished every time we played Partick. 

Still under contract: Ferguson, Hewitt*, Muirhead, Harvie, Ecrepont, Docherty, Murdoch, Forrest, McGuffie, McCowan, McKenzie*

Keep: Hare-Reid, McDaid, Geggan**, Bell**, Moore, Moffat.

Release: Adams, Kerr, Crawford***. 

Leaving: Rose, Shankland, Smith, Higgins, Faulds, Hilton.

Loans. I’d actually have all 3 back, Doohan a must, but I don’t see either of Miller or Cadden wanting to be anywhere near Ayr or McCall next season, been a complete waste of their time.

*No first team experience 

**Squad players at best, cant be guaranteed starters.

***Time for Crawford to move on, let’s see what he does at another club, his League 1 form was great, but just doesn’t supply enough goals/assists from midfield and his passing/tackling isn’t as good as Doc/Murdoch.

What we need, bare minimum: 1x GK if we can’t get Doohan. 2x CBs. 3x midfielders. 1x striker.

If Forfar or Montrose win the playoffs I'd imagine the club will try to get by with minimal outlay next year, knowing we only need to stay ahead of two out of three part time clubs to survive in the division. Especially after extending themselves more than was comfortable this season.

After my post, made a little squad list of what it possibly might look like next year.

Keepers :

New GK/Doohan

Hare-Reid*

Defence: 

Geggan (Also play CM)

Ferguson

Hewitt*

Harvie

Ecrepont*

Muirhead

Bell (Also play CM)

New CB

New CB

Midfield:

McDaid

Docherty

Murdoch 

McGuffie

New Winger

New CM

New CM

Forwards:

Moore

Moffat 

Forrest (Also play on the wing)

McCowan(Also play CM)

McKenzie*

New Striker

*Youth/Reserve players

We sponsor Moore, he said he would ideally stay.  

Well, hopefully he does then. Probably make or break as a champ player if he does but no one could ever fault his endeavour.

Cops a lot of flack from some of our support, but some of our support are total morons. Not really deserved either.

Heard Livingston want mcdaid

Would that mean Cadden would be released? I think he’s played well the last few games, tries to be positive. Needs to work on learning to put a cross in instead of trying to beat a man twice but I’d be happy enough if he signed.

I think there's absolutely no chance that we will release Crawford and nor should we. If he chooses to stay he'll be one of our main players next season as he has been this season.

I know he gets a power of abuse and I know he can be extremely frustrating, however he was an integral part of the team when we were at our best early season and his control, touch, passing and ability to keep possession are huge at this level and often go completely unnoticed by many.

As for Miller, Cadden & McDaid, all three of them flatter to deceive as they promise much but ultimately offer very little as an end product on a consistent enough basis for me, however while all of them leaving wouldn't leave me distraught, I'd probably still take them if offered.

Geggan, Bell, Moffat & Moore should all be offered an extension if fit and able to continue and although I like Kerr, I feel that he may be nearing the end of the line from a fitness perspective.

Doohan should be our number one priority to return on a loan basis next season and then it's really up to McCall and our budget to see what "hidden gems" or "broken genius's" that he can pull out of the fire for us, as I'm sure there's quite a few just lurking around ripe for the Ayshire Aces picking............